Sign in to follow this  
JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

32 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Hyde is inefficient. Just look at his yards per touch from this past season. Duke might not be a 3 down back, but he's a guy that you can play out there on all 3 downs between RB and WR. And at WR, you can line him outside and in the slot. He's good.

Hyde averaged 3.9 YPC last year. Folks who also averaged 3.9 YPC: Melvin Gordon, Leonard Fournette. Bell, Shady averaged 4.0, Zeke 4.1.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Hyde is inefficient. Just look at his yards per touch from this past season. Duke might not be a 3 down back, but he's a guy that you can play out there on all 3 downs between RB and WR. And at WR, you can line him outside and in the slot. He's good.

There are nothing but positives to be drawn from Hyde's 2017 campaign.  It started on draft day when the world became convinced that Hyde had no chance after Shanahan pounded the table for Williams.  Hyde was the undisputed starter when Week 1 arrived.

Then, the chorus grew that  Hyde was too brittle to put in a full campaign.  He proved those folks wrong. 

As the season wore on, Hyde toiled under poor QB play in an offense ill-suited to his skill set.  He produced well in PPR nevertheless.

It is easy to forget how highly regarded Hyde was when he was pucked in the second round in 2014.  Durability is always a concern, but he's not going to roll over just because Chubb arrived.  If there is a real lead role to be had in Haley's offense (not just the full RBBC that Dorsey seems to envision), I would not automatically earmark it for Chubb.  Hyde will impress the CS with his character, his compete level and his all around skill set.  That you can take to the bank.

• Like 3

People that draft Chubb are going to be in for a huge surprise.

Hyde isn't AP. He is a very very talented RB. In fact, I would say he is top 10 from a pure talent perspective and in the prime of his career. Last year he suffered from a coach that clearly did not want him yet he still managed to produce. Go watch tape of Hyde and you will see how good of a player he is.

As far as i'm concerned, Chubb is just added to the list of Browns being absolutely ******** stupid. They already picked up a very good RB. To at best maybe improve a bit at a position that isn't near the most important is the definition of stupid. Or the definition of Browns.

• Like 3

Whether stupid or not, Dorsey has said he prefers RBBC.  Dorsey isn't the OC, but what are the odds that Haley has a totally different view?  If he does, Dorsey must not have bothered to check in with him before draft day.

We know that both Hyde and Johnson have chops.  If Chubb looks good in PS too, how can a full blown 3 way timeshare not be the default in Cleveland?

Then you have all those WRs, a stud TE, and two QBs who both are likely to be way better than anything we've seen there in years.  

Personally, I believe that Cleveland will be a very productive offense this season.  That will benefit the backfield alot.  I just fear that the bigger pie will be sliced too evenly to yield a real difference-maker for us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Whether stupid or not, Dorsey has said he prefers RBBC.  Dorsey isn't the OC, but what are the odds that Haley has a totally different view?  If he does, Dorsey must not have bothered to check in with him before draft day.

We know that both Hyde and Johnson have chops.  If Chubb looks good in PS too, how can a full blown 3 way timeshare not be the default in Cleveland?

Then you have all those WRs, a stud TE, and two QBs who both are likely to be way better than anything we've seen there in years.  

Personally, I believe that Cleveland will be a very productive offense this season.  That will benefit the backfield alot.  I just fear that the bigger pie will be sliced too evenly to yield a real difference-maker for us.

I tend to agree.  Or at the very least-  might be decided by injuries and fumbling.   However, The price has gone down quite a bit on Hyde-  so I’m not dyometrically opposed just yet.   Could be a nice fourth rb dart. 

7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I tend to agree.  Or at the very least-  might be decided by injuries and fumbling.   However, The price has gone down quite a bit on Hyde-  so I’m not dyometrically opposed just yet.   Could be a nice fourth rb dart. 

Even talented rookies make rookie mistakes, and a RPO heavy offense is far more well-suited to Hyde's skill set than the one he toiled valiantly in last season.  For a bargain price, I'll be throwing a dart or two as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Dyometrically? 

Beat it jamoke. 

We're a bunch of schmoes playing fantasy football. 

We're not a bunch of scientists defending our PhD thesis. 

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Dyometrically? 

Beat it jamoke. 

We're a bunch of schmoes playing fantasy football. 

We're not a bunch of scientists defending our PhD thesis. 

Hyde cheap

Hyde good

is that better for the cavemen?

:P  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Hyde cheap

Hyde good

is that better for the cavemen?

:P  

oooga booga

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will be very interesting to see if Chubb ends up having a higher ADP closer to the start of the season.

Not really concerned with cubb either. More so that browns d. They should be passing a lot anyways with all these weapons, and if they’re behind DJ is clearly a better receiving back. Goaline work should be Hyde’s though. Could that translate to 7-8 tds? More likely than not I’d say. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:19 AM, dashoe said:

All aboard the Carlos Hyde Express need to figure out where he gets drafted. initial thoughts end of 2nd early 3rd

One would think.  Yet here we are, almost to July, and Hyde sits neglected as a 7th round pick (in 12-team PPR leagues) among the likes of Tarik Cohen and Aaron Jones.

1.  Carlos Hyde preceded Ezekiel Elliott as the lead RB at Ohio State University.  Now he gets a chance to play pro ball 150 miles from where he played his college ball.  He has a YouTube video presser where he's smiling ear to ear about his "chance to come home again."

2.  Carlos Hyde is really good--he's a YUGE upgrade over Isaiah Crowell.  Watch his highlights from the Vikings game in 2016--notice how many times the Vikings had 8 and even 9 men in the box when Hyde spanked them.  That spin move to score a 10 yard TD against 8 in the box has to be one of the top 10 juke moves ever.

3.  Todd Haley is the new offensive coordinator.  Under his coaching, an aging Edgerrin James posted 1,426 combined yards and 7 TDs in 2007 for Arizona (James was injured in 2008), Jamaal Charles averaged 1,676 combined yards and 8 TDs in 2009 and 2010 (he was injured in 2011), and Le'Veon Bell has had a pretty good run for his five year career under Haley in Pittsburgh, averaging 1600 yards and 8.3 TDs per year, even playing only 62 games in those five years.

4.  Last year, Cleveland's offensive line allowed their RBs to gain 1.81 yards before contact--8th most in the NFL.  Yes, Joe Thomas retired.  To help replace him, Haley brought right tackle Chris Hubbard along with him from Pittsburgh, signing him to a big five year contract.  Joel Bitonio returns at left guard, with a PFF rating of 85.2 (sixth-best among guards in the NFL), whose strength is run blocking.  J.C. Tretter returns at Center.  Kevin Zeitler returns at right guard, after becoming the highest-paid guard in the league last year.  He actually ended up 10th among guards with an 81.1 PFF rating.  Replacing Joe Thomas at left tackle will be the challenge, but it's not like Thomas was a big part of last year's O-line success anyway--he was injured for the final 10 games of the season.  Spencer Drango, a natural guard who started those 10 games in place of Thomas, returns this year, and the Browns also drafted left tackle Austin Corbett from Nevada with the 1st pick in the 2nd round of this year's draft.  So the O-line is a check.

5.  Hyde's ability to catch and operate in space is tailor-made to the sort of possession game that Haley and the Browns intend to play this season.  People are worried about Duke Johnson eating into Hyde's opportunities, but in reality, it just might be the other way around.  Johnson was a WAY better pass-catcher than Crowell was, yes, but he's not THAT much better than Hyde, and Hyde is a WAY better runner with the ball than Duke is.  I was a little worried that a "power" back like Chubb might vulture goalline carries from Hyde, but then I saw that Chubb is 5'11", 227, to Hyde's 5'11", 229.  So in essence, Hyde does everything that Chubb and Duke do--and he does them better than either of them.  I seriously wouldn't be too surprised to see Hyde become as much of a "workhorse" back as there is in today's NFL, a la Charles in KC and Bell in Pittsburgh.

6.  The Browns rushed for 1,620 yards and 11 TDs last year between Crowell, Kizer and Duke.  Duke and Crowell added 875 yards and 3 TDs on 102 receptions.  That's almost 2500 yards and 14 TDs up for grabs--from a year in which the Browns SUCKED.  If the improvements in coaching and personnel make any difference at all, there's a lot of potential for a RB available with the 80th overall pick in your fantasy draft.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

One would think.  Yet here we are, almost to July, and Hyde sits neglected as a 7th round pick (in 12-team PPR leagues) among the likes of Tarik Cohen and Aaron Jones.

1.  Carlos Hyde preceded Ezekiel Elliott as the lead RB at Ohio State University.  Now he gets a chance to play pro ball 150 miles from where he played his college ball.  He has a YouTube video presser where he's smiling ear to ear about his "chance to come home again."

2.  Carlos Hyde is really good--he's a YUGE upgrade over Isaiah Crowell.  Watch his highlights from the Vikings game in 2016--notice how many times the Vikings had 8 and even 9 men in the box when Hyde spanked them.  That spin move to score a 10 yard TD against 8 in the box has to be one of the top 10 juke moves ever.

3.  Todd Haley is the new offensive coordinator.  Under his coaching, an aging Edgerrin James posted 1,426 combined yards and 7 TDs in 2007 for Arizona (James was injured in 2008), Jamaal Charles averaged 1,676 combined yards and 8 TDs in 2009 and 2010 (he was injured in 2011), and Le'Veon Bell has had a pretty good run for his five year career under Haley in Pittsburgh, averaging 1600 yards and 8.3 TDs per year, even playing only 62 games in those five years.

4.  Last year, Cleveland's offensive line allowed their RBs to gain 1.81 yards before contact--8th most in the NFL.  Yes, Joe Thomas retired.  To help replace him, Haley brought right tackle Chris Hubbard along with him from Pittsburgh, signing him to a big five year contract.  Joel Bitonio returns at left guard, with a PFF rating of 85.2 (sixth-best among guards in the NFL), whose strength is run blocking.  J.C. Tretter returns at Center.  Kevin Zeitler returns at right guard, after becoming the highest-paid guard in the league last year.  He actually ended up 10th among guards with an 81.1 PFF rating.  Replacing Joe Thomas at left tackle will be the challenge, but it's not like Thomas was a big part of last year's O-line success anyway--he was injured for the final 10 games of the season.  Spencer Drango, a natural guard who started those 10 games in place of Thomas, returns this year, and the Browns also drafted left tackle Austin Corbett from Nevada with the 1st pick in the 2nd round of this year's draft.  So the O-line is a check.

5.  Hyde's ability to catch and operate in space is tailor-made to the sort of possession game that Haley and the Browns intend to play this season.  People are worried about Duke Johnson eating into Hyde's opportunities, but in reality, it just might be the other way around.  Johnson was a WAY better pass-catcher than Crowell was, yes, but he's not THAT much better than Hyde, and Hyde is a WAY better runner with the ball than Duke is.  I was a little worried that a "power" back like Chubb might vulture goalline carries from Hyde, but then I saw that Chubb is 5'11", 227, to Hyde's 5'11", 229.  So in essence, Hyde does everything that Chubb and Duke do--and he does them better than either of them.  I seriously wouldn't be too surprised to see Hyde become as much of a "workhorse" back as there is in today's NFL, a la Charles in KC and Bell in Pittsburgh.

6.  The Browns rushed for 1,620 yards and 11 TDs last year between Crowell, Kizer and Duke.  Duke and Crowell added 875 yards and 3 TDs on 102 receptions.  That's almost 2500 yards and 14 TDs up for grabs--from a year in which the Browns SUCKED.  If the improvements in coaching and personnel make any difference at all, there's a lot of potential for a RB available with the 80th overall pick in your fantasy draft.

I agree that Hyde could be a workhorse, but I’m skeptical regarding what the Browns are seeing. Last year was his first healthy season in his four-year tenure, and although he took on a solid workload at 299 touches, I imagine he’d be better as the lead man in a committee of capable RBs (enter Duke/Chubb); and I wonder if the Browns see this as well. They know he’s not durable, and like Taylor they might view Hyde as a steppingstone... true, they might ride Hyde until his wheels fall off, but I think it more likely that Duke’s shiny new contract gets a workout, and the talented rookie sees his share. Taylor will run as well.  

That said, Hyde’s ADP is low enough and if the price stays low he could be worth a shot/space. If one member of this 3-man committee gets injured, the new 2-man schmiel would be something I’d like a piece of. Then again, odds are it’s Hyde who gets injured leaving the Duke and Chubb show.

My two cents.

Dec 24, 2016 NFL Knee MCL Tear Grade 3 Hyde tore his left MCL in Week 16 and missed the last game of the season. He avoided surgery.
Oct 16, 2016 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain  Hyde suffered a sprained right shoulder and was sidelined the next two games.
Aug 26, 2016 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Hyde suffered a concussion in the third game of the preseason. He returned to rush 23 times in Week 1 of the regular season.
Oct 11, 2015 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture  Hyde fractured his foot in Week 5. He played the next 2 weeks before getting shut down for the season. He underwent surgery in December. 
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Back Lower Lumbar Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Hyde got pulled awkwardly and injured his back in Week 15. He missed the last 2 games of the season.
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Hyde sat out the final 2 games of the season. 
Sep 8, 2012 Non-NFL Knee Patella Sprain Hyde missed 2 games with a knee sprain.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

I agree that Hyde could be a workhorse, but I’m skeptical regarding what the Browns are seeing. Last year was his first healthy season in his four-year tenure, and although he took on a solid workload at 299 touches, I imagine he’d be better as the lead man in a committee of capable RBs (enter Duke/Chubb); and I wonder if the Browns see this as well. They know he’s not durable, and like Taylor they might view Hyde as a steppingstone... true, they might ride Hyde until his wheels fall off, but I think it more likely that Duke’s shiny new contract gets a workout, and the talented rookie sees his share. Taylor will run as well.  

That said, Hyde’s ADP is low enough and if the price stays low he could be worth a shot/space. If one member of this 3-man committee gets injured, the new 2-man schmiel would be something I’d like a piece of. Then again, odds are it’s Hyde who gets injured leaving the Duke and Chubb show.

My two cents.

Dec 24, 2016 NFL Knee MCL Tear Grade 3 Hyde tore his left MCL in Week 16 and missed the last game of the season. He avoided surgery.
Oct 16, 2016 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain  Hyde suffered a sprained right shoulder and was sidelined the next two games.
Aug 26, 2016 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Hyde suffered a concussion in the third game of the preseason. He returned to rush 23 times in Week 1 of the regular season.
Oct 11, 2015 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture  Hyde fractured his foot in Week 5. He played the next 2 weeks before getting shut down for the season. He underwent surgery in December. 
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Back Lower Lumbar Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Hyde got pulled awkwardly and injured his back in Week 15. He missed the last 2 games of the season.
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Hyde sat out the final 2 games of the season. 
Sep 8, 2012 Non-NFL Knee Patella Sprain Hyde missed 2 games with a knee sprain.

Hyde isn't the picture of health, by any means, but other than the torn MCL, they're all pretty routine and minor injuries.  Even WITH the torn MCL in Week 16 of 2016, he opened the season as the starter in 2017.

In any case, he's missed fewer games in his four-year career than Le'Veon Bell has missed in the last four years, and Bell is still being drafted pretty highly.

11 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Fun facts, but completely irrelevant to his fantasy outlook.

Idunno.  I thought Crowell was a pretty decent RB.  Hyde's a good RB but not great.  Not good enough to be considered a huge upgrade.  Chubb on the other hand...

You know that all those RBs caught a ton of balls right?

4.  Last year, Cleveland's offensive line allowed their RBs to gain 1.81 yards before contact--8th most in the NFL.  ....

The OL is above average, yes, I'll grant you this.

5.  Hyde does everything that Chubb and Duke do--and he does them better than either of them.  

Delusional.  Just... delusional.  Hyde's worse in the pass game than Johnson and worse in the run game than Chubb.  Maybe he's the most versatile of the 3 and that could lend to being on the field more ...  but I doubt it.  Turbin is more versatile and reliable than Mack, Wilkins, and Hines in Indy, but being a jack of all trades master of none doesn't lend itself to a high snap percentage.

Duke is not going away.  They gave him a big contract and one of the better pass catching RBs in the league.

Chubb's going to see the field quite a bit.  He was an early 2nd round pick and an elite runner.

I think Hyde is a good football player, and as an OSU alum I am a fan.  But the writing is on the wall in clear words and you're trying real hard to read between the lines.

Maybe in a best ball format I could see Hyde being worth the price. In a normal redraft league though I don't see how you can possibly depend on him any given week outside of the first month.  Maybe camp/preseason shows he's the starter, but even then it's hard to think that Chubb won't take over as the primary runner at some point.

Iron_Cock proposed the Adrian Peterson theory last year:  If a team signs a veteran FA running back to a short deal, but later goes and drafts an RB in the early rounds, then the rookie is probably going to eat significantly into the veteran's workload.  Since FA comes before the draft, teams make the short FA deals 'just in case'.  I'm a subscriber to this theory.

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How long is Hyde's deal for?  The 49ers never planned for Hyde to be their starter in 2017, but Hyde was anyway because he beat out all of the other running backs they had.

Chubb and Johnson are nice players but they aren't exactly Earl Campbell and Gayle Sayers.

26 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

How long is Hyde's deal for?  The 49ers never planned for Hyde to be their starter in 2017, but Hyde was anyway because he beat out all of the other running backs they had.

Chubb and Johnson are nice players but they aren't exactly Earl Campbell and Gayle Sayers.

Chubb won't take over if 1. He doesnt pass protect better 2. learn the playbook and execute on it.   Coaches will dumb down the playbook for the rookie starter unless a more than capable vet is on the roster but they hate making exceptions for poor pass blocking

Edited by dashoe

24 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I don’t think the Browns planned on Chubb being available where he was-    Which casts serious doubt on the short term role of either rb.  I will say- the reports about Chubb have been glowing.   lf that knee is right he’s the talent on the roster.  

Another one of these situations that’s tempting to assume the rookie takes over sooner than later-  but we really have no clue when. 

Edited by Impreza178

One year deal for Hyde?

4 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Fun facts, but completely irrelevant to his fantasy outlook.

Why would playing for a "home town team" (college town team, anyway--and Hyde himself called it "coming home") NOT be relevant.  It was relevant for Marshawn Lynch last year.

Idunno.  I thought Crowell was a pretty decent RB.  Hyde's a good RB but not great.  Not good enough to be considered a huge upgrade.  Chubb on the other hand...

Crowell IS a decent RB--heck, I called him as a longshot top-20 RB in 2016 and he ended up #15.  But he doesn't have NEAR the finesse of Hyde.  Hyde has put on some moves that rank among the top jukes in league history--I can dredge up highlights if you want, or if you're interested, you can educate yourself on YouTube.

"I thought he was special before he tore up his knee. I don't see special anymore but I do see a solid runner." - AFC Director of College Scouting on Nick Chubb (from Chubb's draft profile)

You know that all those RBs caught a ton of balls right?

We know Bell catches passes; he has averaged 62.4 catches per season in his five years.  The year Edgerrin James played under Haley, he caught 24 passes.  Those two years for Jamaal Charles, he caught 40 and 45 passes.  Carlos Hyde caught 59 last season.  He can fill that bill.

The OL is above average, yes, I'll grant you this.

What?  Something Axe Elf said goes unchallenged??  Alert the media!

Delusional.  Just... delusional.  Hyde's worse in the pass game than Johnson and worse in the run game than Chubb.

Duke Johnson has averaged 62.7 catches per season.  Even if you say he's a better pure catcher than Hyde, Hyde is still the superior runner once he has the ball in his hands.  And as we saw above, Chubb is nothing special after his knee injury--and Hyde is the bigger back for short yardage and goalline work too.

Duke is not going away.  They gave him a big contract and one of the better pass catching RBs in the league.

They extended his contract before free agency; before they landed Hyde.

Chubb's going to see the field quite a bit.  He was an early 2nd round pick and an elite runner.

He was a 2nd round pick of the BROWNS.  'Nuff said.  And elite?  "I thought he was special before he tore up his knee. I don't see special anymore but I do see a solid runner."

I think Hyde is a good football player, and as an OSU alum I am a fan.  But the writing is on the wall in clear words and you're trying real hard to read between the lines.

I'm trying real hard to read it aloud to you.

Solid stuff from Axe.  I am trending towards "sold" on Carlos Hyde.  He's going to be cheap and could really pay off.

The only correction I will make is that Hyde signed first, Chubb was drafted next, and Duke Johnson was extended last.  But I would not read too much into that sequence.  All healthy NFL offenses need more than one productive running back.

• Like 1