Sign in to follow this  
JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

I feel like Carlos Hyde is one of the last of the reliable RB2/3's... I feel like he is being undervalued even while Duke will get his catches. How are people feeling about Hyde's week 1 and ROS outlook?

9 minutes ago, baleswb said:

I feel like Carlos Hyde is one of the last of the reliable RB2/3's... I feel like he is being undervalued even while Duke will get his catches. How are people feeling about Hyde's week 1 and ROS outlook?

Well he was the clear lead back in the preseason and performed well. I don't think Duke is too much of a threat for carries but Chubb seems like he'll get some touches. I think for this week Hyde is a solid RB2. How the season progresses though is a pure guess though based on the limited info on Chubb's skill/role. In theory the offense should be good enough for a RB to produce, but it's the Browns...

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, baleswb said:

Week 1 he will be a solid RB2.  Cleveland is going to want to establish their run game this year and Hyde will be a big part of it.  My feeling is this will be his best statistical season rushing and he will break 1,000 yards for the 1st time.  I doubt he comes anywhere close to catching as many passes as last year, but even if he gets half that many it will still be a good all around season for Hyde.  Chubb won't be much of a threat, but he will be mixed in to keep Hyde fresh.  Everyone knows Dukes role.  I'm expecting Carlos to be a solid mid to low tier RB2 for 2018 finishing somewhere around RB18 overall

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, baleswb said:

I don't think there's anything to like in a 3 headed RB committee. 

You're solely reliant on TD's... Which Hyde has proven he can get on the goal line carries. 

Nonetheless, if he doesn't get one, you could be looking at a 7 point game in PPR when he's not end zone dancing. 

I look to Jay ajayi last season as an example. Pulled every 3rd down for weak pass catchers that weren't much more effective than him, and splitting time with Blount on early downs. 

He was more or less worthless as a fantasy option down the stretch. 

And then the worst thing that could ever happen for fantasy owners happened... The eagles won the Super Bowl doing this. It's common in the NFL to copy champions, which is what really destroyed us fantasy owners when more NFL teams started copying the Patriots and their success making RB's an afterthought. 

I loved Hyde last season. Beat the table for him and gobbled him up everywhere. This season I discarded him like a piece of trash. 

I worry for him for 2018 and went out of my way to own 0 shares. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Well he was the clear lead back in the preseason and performed well. I don't think Duke is too much of a threat for carries but Chubb seems like he'll get some touches. I think for this week Hyde is a solid RB2. How the season progresses though is a pure guess though based on the limited info on Chubb's skill/role. In theory the offense should be good enough for a RB to produce, but it's the Browns...

15 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

Week 1 he will be a solid RB2.  Cleveland is going to want to establish their run game this year and Hyde will be a big part of it.  My feeling is this will be his best statistical season rushing and he will break 1,000 yards for the 1st time.  I doubt he comes anywhere close to catching as many passes as last year, but even if he gets half that many it will still be a good all around season for Hyde.  Chubb won't be much of a threat, but he will be mixed in to keep Hyde fresh.  Everyone knows Dukes role.  I'm expecting Carlos to be a solid mid to low tier RB2 for 2018 finishing somewhere around RB18 overall

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I don't think there's anything to like in a 3 headed RB committee. 

You're solely reliant on TD's... Which Hyde has proven he can get on the goal line carries. 

Nonetheless, if he doesn't get one, you could be looking at a 7 point game in PPR when he's not end zone dancing. 

I look to Jay ajayi last season as an example. Pulled every 3rd down for weak pass catchers that weren't much more effective than him, and splitting time with Blount on early downs. 

He was more or less worthless as a fantasy option down the stretch. 

And then the worst thing that could ever happen for fantasy owners happened... The eagles won the Super Bowl doing this. It's common in the NFL to copy champions, which is what really destroyed us fantasy owners when more NFL teams started copying the Patriots and their success making RB's an afterthought. 

I loved Hyde last season. Beat the table for him and gobbled him up everywhere. This season I discarded him like a piece of trash. 

I worry for him for 2018 and went out of my way to own 0 shares. 

I appreciate the feedback. I think there is for sure mixed opinions on him, but I tend to agree that early in the season like Week 1 will be a good time to start him before the devolpment of Chubb and wanting to establish run behind a pretty good O-line. I also understand the pessimism for the possible 3 man committee. I think I am cautiously optimistic he is a value pick. Thanks Fellas!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baleswb said:

I appreciate the feedback. I think there is for sure mixed opinions on him, but I tend to agree that early in the season like Week 1 will be a good time to start him before the devolpment of Chubb and wanting to establish run behind a pretty good O-line. I also understand the pessimism for the possible 3 man committee. I think I am cautiously optimistic he is a value pick. Thanks Fellas!!

Hyde looked great in preseason (I know, it's preseason). He's also only 27 years old so he should be in his prime. I am also cautiously optimistic that he'll return RB2/RB3 value at least for the first half of the season and maybe will decline a bit if Chubb looks good. 

Might be a good sell-high candidate if he has a good first 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

I've got him as my 4th RB in a standard league where I can play 2 RBs plus a flex. I feel like that's his best spot. I am optimistic, but I wouldn't want to rely on him each week.

9 hours ago, NBatum88 said:

Hyde looked great in preseason (I know, it's preseason). He's also only 27 years old so he should be in his prime. I am also cautiously optimistic that he'll return RB2/RB3 value at least for the first half of the season and maybe will decline a bit if Chubb looks good. 

Might be a good sell-high candidate if he has a good first 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, that's my thinking. The interesting thing to watch will be what happens when Gordon gets more snaps (I'm not expecting much from him week one). Tyrod loves his TE, so you've got Gordon on the run, Landry may be a little shorter-range, and Njoku. I think Duke suffers more than Hyde, all the more so if defenses are worried about Tyrod taking off too.

I don't envision as much of a committee as others.  Chubb will get some action when Hyde needs rest, but I think Duke will be more limited.  Duke's action will come on 3rd and long, or 3rd when Chubb is in.  Hyde is a good receiver and two way threat, not necessary to automatically pull him on 3rd down.  I see this as Hyde's backfield to lose.  He will get the bulk of the work, including goal line, for as long as he keeps succeeding.  And for a guy in his prime, not much of a fumbler and good at pass protection, with a good line and weapons around, he has the goods to keep that job.

• Like 2

Not sure how much of this matters, but Todd Haley was just the Steelers O-coord and how much usage did Bell get? Wouldn't be surprised to see Hyde play something similar. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyde & Duke on the field at the same time. The offense is so predicable with Duke in there so I bet his usage declines dramatically.

As a big time CFB fan Chubb just isn't that good IMO. Sony Michel will be a way better pro than him. 

• Like 1

Who knows how Hyde will be used, but hopefully it is something like the third preseason game. Hyde didn't come off the field much on third downs. Duke didn't see his first snaps until a few series in.

We also tend to forget Duke is good in the slot, so he still may be used in that capacity in addition to hurry-up situations. I also think there's a misleading aspect to a "two-down" back. A RB can play two downs and still catch 3-5 passes a game. Hyde is a more than capable pass catcher.  

3 minutes ago, Week16 said:

Good time to sell high on Hyde. Chubb is the future but Hyde got the touches week 1.

Lol.. he did have 22 carries...  and looks great from preseason and on.

3 minutes ago, Week16 said:

Good time to sell high on Hyde. Chubb is the future but Hyde got the touches week 1.

Chubb may be the future, but he hasn't looked that great.  He's had a few promising runs, but nothing spectacular.  Hyde is not a chump when healthy.

8 minutes ago, Week16 said:

Chubb has never been the same since his knee injury in college.  Chubb is going to ascend into the pantheon of spectacularly bad Browns high draft picks.  Hyde is the man, this year and next, too.  DO NOT sell high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Chubb has never been the same since his knee injury in college.  Chubb is going to ascend into the pantheon of spectacularly bad Browns high draft picks.  Hyde is the man, this year and next, too.  DO NOT sell high.

Hope he continues to dominate.. I invested a little in him haha

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, leffe186 said:

Yeah, that's my thinking. The interesting thing to watch will be what happens when Gordon gets more snaps (I'm not expecting much from him week one). Tyrod loves his TE, so you've got Gordon on the run, Landry may be a little shorter-range, and Njoku. I think Duke suffers more than Hyde, all the more so if defenses are worried about Tyrod taking off too.

The weather may have played a part, and Duke did get six targets, but I think the signs were there that he is less of a part of this offense. This week will be telling. The Saints away is arguably one of the best situations for Duke versus Hyde, so if Hyde outperforms him this week it's a good sign.

24 minutes ago, Week16 said:

Are you really selling that high? Hyde was obviously the man, but on a day when Conner went crazy, Hyde still needed 22 touches and a TD to get 13pts in my league. It was pretty much what I expected from him, right down to the measly 2.8 YPC. You'll need another good week or two to sell high.

Hoping the zero in the passing game is an illusion. Even Duke J didn't get many targets from Taylor.

The one thing I dislike about running QBs is the affinity to run it for 2-3 yards instead of dumping it off to a back. Hyde getting 20+ touches is nice, but if he's going to get that, I'd prefer some receptions are included

I'm inclined to hope for a few more weeks of solid starter production from Hyde at which point I'll look to sell him with an expectation that eventually they will want to see more from Chubb once their losing ways continue.  Everyone was so low on Hyde in my league that he will need to flash a bit more to even have much trade value.  For now it's hold on, stick him in the flex, and hope to strike later when the iron heats up.

Pittsburgh was getting through the line almost immediately at the snap. It was more an OL issue than Hyde, imo watching the game.

6 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

I'm inclined to hope for a few more weeks of solid starter production from Hyde at which point I'll look to sell him with an expectation that eventually they will want to see more from Chubb once their losing ways continue.  Everyone was so low on Hyde in my league that he will need to flash a bit more to even have much trade value.  For now it's hold on, stick him in the flex, and hope to strike later when the iron heats up.

Losing ways? Browns are undefeated

• Haha 1