Sign in to follow this  
JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

18 hours ago, DezDynastyBryant said:

he had a fine week 1, how can you buy low lol

I guess because so many owners have such a low opinion and low expectations of him. I mean, this is a guy who was the 9th-ranked RB in my 1/2 PPR league in 2017 and 16th ranked WRT. Now that he's in Cleveland, guys are proclaiming him an RB2/3...or a guy that is their 4th RB who they only plan to play on bye weeks.

I'm not a Hyde homer, and I don't think he's some stud...but he's going to get his touches. As long as he plays 16 games again this year, he's going to have a high floor and can potentially once again reach RB1 status (as he did last year). I know there's a lot of concern over Chubb and him potentially taking over, but I just don't see it. He's a rookie...Hyde is a veteran who Cleveland just made the 9th highest paid RB in the league earlier this year. 

Now the Browns can cut him before the 2019 season if they wanted to annoint Chubb their new RB, but I just don't see that one either. I'm not real sure what the plan is with Chubb, other than to serve as insurance in case Hyde goes back to his injury-prone days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Now that he's in Cleveland, guys are proclaiming him an RB2/3...or a guy that is their 4th RB who they only plan to play on bye weeks.

This is the response I get from everyone in my league when I try and use Hyde in trade.  "He's an RB3, he wouldn't make my starting lineup, Chubb is better and will take over, he's injury prone, browns will have negative game scripts" etc.  I guess I kind of thought these same things but he fell so far in my draft that I just figured hell, starting RB for 5 auction dollars? Why not.

But since no one else's opinion on him seems to have changed, I'm actually coming around to the idea that he could be an RB2 or even RB1 level producer this year if he stays healthy, and I'm not at all bummed to hang onto him for now.

He's definitely not a sell-high cause no one is chomping at the bit to acquire him, but certainly no owner going to let you "buy low" in comparison to his draft position.  It was already so low as it is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheezor42 said:

This is the response I get from everyone in my league when I try and use Hyde in trade.  "He's an RB3, he wouldn't make my starting lineup, Chubb is better and will take over, he's injury prone, browns will have negative game scripts" etc.  I guess I kind of thought these same things but he fell so far in my draft that I just figured hell, starting RB for 5 auction dollars? Why not.

But since no one else's opinion on him seems to have changed, I'm actually coming around to the idea that he could be an RB2 or even RB1 level producer this year if he stays healthy, and I'm not at all bummed to hang onto him for now.

He's definitely not a sell-high cause no one is chomping at the bit to acquire him, but certainly no owner going to let you "buy low" in comparison to his draft position.  It was already so low as it is.

This definitely seems to be a common response in my league, as well...just no belief in him at all. 

If he stays healthy, I believe he's definitely an RB2, with RB1 upside, but he's just never going to get any respect until he has one of those 1100yd, 12 TD seasons with a 4.5 ypc average. The ypc wasn't sexy last year, but he still produced points for fantasy owners, especially in PPR and 1/2 PPR leagues. I guess the trepidation of fantasy owners is the drafting and presence of Chubb, but I just don't think he's a concern this year...and probably not next year either. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, Flyman75 said:

This definitely seems to be a common response in my league, as well...just no belief in him at all. 

If he stays healthy, I believe he's definitely an RB2, with RB1 upside, but he's just never going to get any respect until he has one of those 1100yd, 12 TD seasons with a 4.5 ypc average. The ypc wasn't sexy last year, but he still produced points for fantasy owners, especially in PPR and 1/2 PPR leagues. I guess the trepidation of fantasy owners is the drafting and presence of Chubb, but I just don't think he's a concern this year...and probably not next year either. 

Do you think you handcuff Hyde with Chubb if Chubb is sitting on FA?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

Do you think you handcuff Hyde with Chubb if Chubb is sitting on FA?

Only if you're shallow at RB or have a good amount of waiver wire fodder sitting on your bench.

• Thanks 1

When you draft an RB2 at an RB4 price, week 2 isn’t the time to offload him, especially when week 1s game was a soggy slugfest in weather conditions mostly not conducive to passing.  The Browns offense has a chance to be quite productive this season with Taylor, Landry, and Jesus Christ Gordon, which should soften the box a little  for the run game.  This is the part of the season where you ride him and enjoy the high returns on a relatively cheap investment.  The volume appears to be there for Hyde.  If he has several good weeks, that’s the time to sell high, when the waiver wire has dried up and a team or two in your league has lost a starting RB and is getting desperate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, cheezor42 said:

That's so funny.  So I'm not alone about this situation.  Thought it was just my league.  Everytime I try to trade him it's the same thing as you posted.  For some reason everyone hates C. Hyde in my league.  He fell to me in the 6th round because of it.  I mean when can you add a starting running back in 6th round, what am I supposed to do.  I feel like C. Hyde slept with everyone's  sister in my league.  I'll just enjoy the ride while the haters gonna hate!

I’d be very happy with an RB 16 finish in standard and honestly don’t see why it couldn’t happen. 

T Gurley

L Bell/j Connor

DJ

Zeke

L Fournette 

S Barclay 

AK

K Hunt

M Gordon

D Cook

CMac

J Howard 

A Collins 

J Mixon 

L Miller

That’s the list of RBs in standard I see finishing ahead of Hyde or are better than Hyde on a points per game basis in standard. 

LMcCoy is on the worst team in the NFL with the worst QB situation, no offense weapons and a terrible o line. 

I don’t think P Barber outproduces Hyde. Carson is in a similar predicament to McCoy but obviously has a better QB so maybe he outperforms Hyde. I don’t think AP lasts the year. 

Through preseason and week 1, even in a game where they were down, Hyde has Not been in an RBBC and he can catch the ball. That’s valuable in standard. 

I’m hopeful 

• Like 1

Tough spot for Hyde this week, though.  On the road as a huge underdog, and on a team in turmoil after the decision to jettison Josh Gordon.  It feels like a Duke Johnson game against the Saints.

I like Hyde, and probably would have started him this week were it not for the Browns’ turmoil and the opportunity to start Coleman instead. Need to try to handcuff him with Chubb though if at all possible. Don’t know if we can trust Hyde all year with his injury history, and Chubb looked really good in the preseason IMO.

And agreed that the Browns will probably be playing from behind in the Superdome. So I like the Browns’ pass-catchers like Landry (and should have been Gordon too, dangit) in this one more than I like their running game. I think if you start him this week, you’re basically hoping for a goal line carry and TD.

34 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

I like Hyde, and probably would have started him this week were it not for the Browns’ turmoil and the opportunity to start Coleman instead. Need to try to handcuff him with Chubb though if at all possible. Don’t know if we can trust Hyde all year with his injury history, and Chubb looked really good in the preseason IMO.

Chubb did not look that good in preseason at all.  Had one or two good runs and then was pedestrian.  As evidence by his three carries last week.

• Like 1

I own this guy but have him benched for Saquon, Conner and Lamar Miller. But once Leveon gets back, he’s probably taking my flex spot. I think he’s valued correctly as a RB2 but offers good value in the flex, especially in a standard league but also even a half ppr league.

Looked pretty ugly two weeks in a row. Thank god for those goal line TDs. For anyone who watched the games, is this more on Hyde or the offensive line? Chubb has done decent in his few snaps, but all of his good runs happened when he bounced them outside. 

he is basically my only reliable rb right now...pretty sad...but im glad i have him....do the browns run alot of zone read? That really worked wonders for lesean mccoy in buffalo...not saying they are the same back but it does help with the running game...

On 9/16/2018 at 8:00 AM, Biig_Pressure21 said:

That's so funny.  So I'm not alone about this situation.  Thought it was just my league.  Everytime I try to trade him it's the same thing as you posted.  For some reason everyone hates C. Hyde in my league.  He fell to me in the 6th round because of it.  I mean when can you add a starting running back in 6th round, what am I supposed to do.  I feel like C. Hyde slept with everyone's  sister in my league.  I'll just enjoy the ride while the haters gonna hate!

In my 1/2 PPR Yahoo league, he's the 20th ranked RB, which makes him an RB2 in a 12-team league...and he's played against two good run defenses. 

5 hours ago, nb009 said:

Looked pretty ugly two weeks in a row. Thank god for those goal line TDs. For anyone who watched the games, is this more on Hyde or the offensive line? Chubb has done decent in his few snaps, but all of his good runs happened when he bounced them outside. 

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping that I can shift him to somebody who didn't watch either game. I really didn't think he was impressive at all, but it will be interesting to see how Thursday night goes against a (hopefully) more forgiving run defense.

Anyone familiar with the Jets run defense? Any thoughts on Hyde for Thursday? 

7 minutes ago, HTM said:

Anyone familiar with the Jets run defense? Any thoughts on Hyde for Thursday? 

I own Hyde and have benched him the last 2 weeks for Miller (another underwhelming option). Not particularly excited about Hyde for Thursday. Browns have been leaning on defense and tempo to keep games competitive, basically turning a 60 minute game into a 40 minute game. Not encouraging for the offense. I think he continues his trend. 50-70 yards, possibility of a td.

8 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I own Hyde and have benched him the last 2 weeks for Miller (another underwhelming option). Not particularly excited about Hyde for Thursday. Browns have been leaning on defense and tempo to keep games competitive, basically turning a 60 minute game into a 40 minute game. Not encouraging for the offense. I think he continues his trend. 50-70 yards, possibility of a td.

Ha that's funny. I have Miller and have been having to decide between the two myself the last 2 weeks. I'm fed up with Miller though due to lack of TD's. I think I'll just roll with Hyde this week. I like to have a rooting interest in the Thursday game anyway. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HTM said:

Ha that's funny. I have Miller and have been having to decide between the two myself the last 2 weeks. I'm fed up with Miller though due to lack of TD's. I think I'll just roll with Hyde this week. I like to have a rooting interest in the Thursday game anyway. 

The gambler in me just thinks Hyde can't continue his 2 game td streak. Of course, this is gambler's fallacy so I have no idea. Maybe I'll pick up Clement/Gio and start him instead. Between Hyde and Miller, they are in heavy competition for most underwhelming option at RB2

Edited by WaiverLooter

Also ended up with Miller & Hyde so I'm on that train as well. 

If I'm choosing between them this week I'm going Miller based on matchup and Browns on a Thursday night. Miller gets NYG who have given up a lot of yards on the ground. The Jets have been pretty stout vs the run but their first game was against the Lions who haven't been able to run since Barry Sanders. Drake did get 11 carries for 53/1 but I didn't watch so I don't know how it looked.

9 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

Also ended up with Miller & Hyde so I'm on that train as well. 

If I'm choosing between them this week I'm going Miller based on matchup and Browns on a Thursday night. Miller gets NYG who have given up a lot of yards on the ground. The Jets have been pretty stout vs the run but their first game was against the Lions who haven't been able to run since Barry Sanders. Drake did get 11 carries for 53/1 but I didn't watch so I don't know how it looked.

I watched Dallas v. Giants Sunday night... Giants run defense did not seem terrible.. Zeke had trouble getting much going.