DerrickHenrysCleats

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

Miami will be playing from behind A LOT... hmmm, wonder who that favors the most...  

 

Hint: he’s totaled 15 TDs on Miami over the past two years (with two different QBs).

 

 

Yup. Have him on all my redraft teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVE K Stills this year - Kenyan Drake not so much.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like everyone on this board loves Stills (me included especially at that price!) but we're the only ones that get it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude feels like fool's gold but it looks like him or one of the rookies in the 4th round area. I don't know much about Ballage and Gore doesn't scary me although the fact that they brought both in isn't a great sign especially with how they kept playing Williams last year. Still I'm tempted since he flashed the type of talent that should force the coaching staff to carve out a strong 250+ touch role for him which should be solid for RB2. With Landry's short catch game gone I'd imagine they rely on the run game and catches out of the backfield to get those shorter gains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parker breaks out in MIA. Stills doesn't have the skill set to evolve like most expect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TPowell said:

Parker breaks out in MIA. Stills doesn't have the skill set to evolve like most expect

 

 

tenor.gif

 

 

Since this is the Drake thread, we should get back to him. Does Gase getting fired midseason help or hurt him?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm coming to the opinion that Drake is going to be all or nothing. There isn't much middle ground. Either he's the clear starter, and he's an awesome value where he's drafted, or, he's a committee piece with Gore and Ballage, and he's a bust. 

 

I'm starting to lean toward the latter, which is unfortunate, because I really like Drake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 9:57 AM, TPowell said:

Parker breaks out in MIA. Stills doesn't have the skill set to evolve like most expect

 

Do just a little research, take maybe 20 minutes when you have some time, and look at 1) how many targets have left with Landry, and 2) who is averaging 7.5 TDs over the past two years with two different QBs. Does the name rhyme with Spumante Sparker or with Benny Hill? That’s all I’m sayin’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

Do just a little research, take maybe 20 minutes when you have some time, and look at 1) how many targets have left with Landry, and 2) who is averaging 7.5 TDs over the past two years with two different QBs. Does the name rhyme with Spumante Sparker or with Benny Hill? That’s all I’m sayin’

 

LOL, do a little research. You literally like Kenny Stills because Landry left a ton of targets and Stills has been decently productive (more so than other Dolphin WR's) in that time span in Miami. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TPowell said:

You literally like Kenny Stills because Landry left a ton of targets and Stills has been decently productive

 

Yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

Yes.

 

Do some research. He won't automatically get the SLOT targets from Landry when he is the exact opposite of that type of WR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TPowell said:

 

Do some research. He won't automatically get the SLOT targets from Landry when he is the exact opposite of that type of WR

He wasn’t EVER supposed to be a part of this offense yet every year Stills breaks off big gainers and is relevant.   

 

Id imagine his role is very similar along with his production.  Landry leaving is a small boost 

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

He wasn’t EVER supposed to be a part of this offense yet every year Stills breaks off big gainers and is relevant.   

 

Id imagine his role is very similar along with his production.  Landry leaving is a small boost 

 

He's the deep threat to stretch the field where guys like Landry can catch the underneath passes and Parker can work the intermediate area. I just don't see big uptick in production out of him. Of course he isn't a bad value floor wise but people have grossly overestimated his ceiling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TPowell said:

 

He's the deep threat to stretch the field where guys like Landry can catch the underneath passes and Parker can work the intermediate area. I just don't see big uptick in production out of him. Of course he isn't a bad value floor wise but people have grossly overestimated his ceiling. 

 

Landry was a piece they built their offense around.  There’s no one else with that kind of gravitas in Miami now.   Amendola will get some  looks but he’s not open every play like Landry.   It’s not crazy to think Stills will see more intermediate targets along with his deep shots.   The price is still very reasonable from what I’m seeing  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parker’s adp is a little too high for what, imo, is a 70/60% chance to emerge as the best fantasy wr in mia. I’d rather take the shot on stills in the 10th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, joshua18 said:

 

 

tenor.gif

 

 

Since this is the Drake thread, we should get back to him. Does Gase getting fired midseason help or hurt him?

 

 

 

Dowell Loggains got ran out of Chicago and Gase snatched him up like he was a hot commodity. ESPN actually ranked him 32nd among playcallers last year, and he ran the 29th scoring offense. 

 

Good luck Miami! 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lot of people became fans of Kenyan Drake after he was one of the most productive running backs in the NFL at the end of last season. Pro Football Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson is apparently one of those people that enjoyed seeing Drake perform.

In a recent NFL.com article, Drake was one of Tomlinson’s five running backs he believes will “break out” this upcoming season. Tomlinson actually predicts Drake will rush for 1,100 yards and nine touchdowns.

Drake showed flashes near the end of last season after Jay Ajayi departed for Philly. The former ‘Bama back took the position and made it his own, which makes me think he’s going to take the next step in Year 3. He’s a dynamic, all-around back — he can run the ball on first and second downs and has the ability to stay in on third down to catch the ball out of the backfield. Drake has added a little bit of weight this offseason as he expects to get more carries to provide more balance to the offense. Joining the RB mix in Miami this season is Frank Gore, who’ll be a mentor to the young RB. The veteran can show Drake how to be an everyday starting back and more importantly, show him how to prepare for the job.

Despite the crowded backfield in Miami, Drake rushing for 1,100 yards and nine touchdowns is undoubtedly possible. After having a limited role through his first seven games of 2017, Drake rushed for 622 yards and three touchdowns in the Dolphins final nine games.

Also, Drake led the NFL in rushing during the last five weeks of the 2017 season as he ran for 444 yards and two touchdowns.

Drake’s talent has never been questioned as he has impressive size, speed and hands. The biggest question is, can Drake handle a substantial role this season? In college at Alabama, Drake suffered a number of injuries along with being behind many talented running backs such as Eddie Lacy, T.J. Yeldon, and Derrick Henry.

2018 is finally Drake’s opportunity to show he is capable of being a lead back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenyan Drake made a huge splash late last season as he led the league in rushing during the final five weeks. Now that he is set to enter his third season in the NFL, Drake has been named to a distinguished list.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL Media listed Drake as the 14th-best running back entering the 2018 season in his latest article ranking the best players at that position.

Drake was never a primary back in college, but he played like one in a fiery five-game stretch to end last season. The game tape showed a rare combination of suddenness, power and versatility. He led the league in rushing after Week 13, and only Alvin Kamara topped Drake in elusive rating last season, according to Pro Football Focus. He practically beat the Patriots by himself. It’s a small sample size, but I’m sold.

Drake played 16 games in 2017, starting six times, as he recorded 133 carries for 644 yards with three touchdowns. He also caught 32 passes for 239 yards and a touchdown.

During the last five weeks of the season, Drake ran for 444 yards, which did lead the league during that span. However, during the Dolphins’ offseason program, Drake downplayed the stat as some of the league’s leading rusher sat out Week 17.

“Everybody likes to use that statistic – I had the most rushing yards – but it’s not like Todd (Gurley) didn’t play the last game or anything,” Drake said to reporters in May. “I guess I got that by default.”

Despite the Dolphins acquiring both Frank Gore and Kalen Ballage this offseason, Drake will enter this season as the starting running back. Being the lead back is uncharted territory for Drake as he was buried on the depth chart in college at Alabama. For the first time since probably high school, Drake will have a full season to show that he can be an impact starter for a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Kenyan Drake made a huge splash late last season as he led the league in rushing during the final five weeks. Now that he is set to enter his third season in the NFL, Drake has been named to a distinguished list.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL Media listed Drake as the 14th-best running back entering the 2018 season in his latest article ranking the best players at that position.

Drake was never a primary back in college, but he played like one in a fiery five-game stretch to end last season. The game tape showed a rare combination of suddenness, power and versatility. He led the league in rushing after Week 13, and only Alvin Kamara topped Drake in elusive rating last season, according to Pro Football Focus. He practically beat the Patriots by himself. It’s a small sample size, but I’m sold.

Drake played 16 games in 2017, starting six times, as he recorded 133 carries for 644 yards with three touchdowns. He also caught 32 passes for 239 yards and a touchdown.

During the last five weeks of the season, Drake ran for 444 yards, which did lead the league during that span. However, during the Dolphins’ offseason program, Drake downplayed the stat as some of the league’s leading rusher sat out Week 17.

“Everybody likes to use that statistic – I had the most rushing yards – but it’s not like Todd (Gurley) didn’t play the last game or anything,” Drake said to reporters in May. “I guess I got that by default.”

Despite the Dolphins acquiring both Frank Gore and Kalen Ballage this offseason, Drake will enter this season as the starting running back. Being the lead back is uncharted territory for Drake as he was buried on the depth chart in college at Alabama. For the first time since probably high school, Drake will have a full season to show that he can be an impact starter for a team.

That humbleness...love it. Let's not bump this guys stick before I get more shares 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

That humbleness...love it. Let's not bump this guys stick before I get more shares 

STOCK. Why did it autocorrect to stick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 9:28 PM, bhawks489 said:

STOCK. Why did it autocorrect to stick 

 

Freudian slip, perhaps? 

 

Anyway...

 

On Drake's draft position, I've been getting him in the 4th a lot in my mock drafts on FantasyPros, making him a RB2. I have him toward the bottom of the third tier RBs in my "if I had to rank" rankings, so I think that's decent value, having a top-20 PPR back as your RB2. 

 

However, as many have said, Gore and Ballage are there to get touches. Let's say it's a 60/30/10 split between the three. If that's the case, how would any of you rank him against guys like Guice, Collins, Henry, Penny, and Ajayi? (Based on various ADPs, those are RBs drafted around the same RB tier as Drake, near RB20).

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2018 at 6:10 PM, FlyingElvis said:

 

Freudian slip, perhaps? 

 

Anyway...

 

On Drake's draft position, I've been getting him in the 4th a lot in my mock drafts on FantasyPros, making him a RB2. I have him toward the bottom of the third tier RBs in my "if I had to rank" rankings, so I think that's decent value, having a top-20 PPR back as your RB2. 

 

However, as many have said, Gore and Ballage are there to get touches. Let's say it's a 60/30/10 split between the three. If that's the case, how would any of you rank him against guys like Guice, Collins, Henry, Penny, and Ajayi? (Based on various ADPs, those are RBs drafted around the same RB tier as Drake, near RB20).

 

If he's getting 60%, probably Guice > Collins > Drake > Ajayi (Clement and Sproles gonna steal touches for certain) > Penny (Carson thing scares me) > Henry (I'm lower on him than consensus, he's uselss to me in PPR leagues just like Blount/Jeremy Hill were)

Edited by Jason497

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s still a lot movement in RB ADP rankings:

Guice is rising (usually available in the 4th, but I’ve seen him go in the 2nd)

Freeman is rising (leaving value territory)

R. Jones is rising (leaving value territory)

Millar is rising (overvalued in the 4th - I don’t get his ADP)

Sony is falling (still not a value)

Drake is falling (may end up in 5th or 6th round, reaching value)

Penny is falling (difficult to determine, looking more like a RBBC)

Collins is falling (similar to Drake)

 

I haven’t been interested in Drake or Collins, but at CBS I’ve seen them fall 7th round... that’s just crazy value.  Dixon and Gore aren’t that big a threat to justify the fall.

 

There looks like enormous discrepancies at RB depending on where your league is hosted.  It’s not just RBs either, Juju is overvalued in consensus ADP but undervalued at CBS.  To win your league you’ll need to identify the anomalies in your league.  I normally look at the top 5 players at a position and pick my favorite.  This year I’ll be digging through the top 10+ to find the abandoned gems (especially in the middle rounds).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Drake's talent but he's on my DND list this season. The way Gase employed a significantly less talented Damien Williams (until injury) last season was mind boggling and it highlights how Gase wants to employ Gore imo. 

 

Then you have Ballage who's a pretty good pass catcher in his own right. 

 

Bad team + crowded backfield + bad coach = DND. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, Jj66 said:

Love Drake's talent but he's on my DND list this season. The way Gase employed a significantly less talented Damien Williams (until injury) last season was mind boggling and it highlights how Gase wants to employ Gore imo. 

 

Then you have Ballage who's a pretty good pass catcher in his own right. 

 

Bad team + crowded backfield + bad coach = DND. 

 

 

 

 

Do you still think Gase keeps Drake down after last season?

 

I feel like all of these questions will be answered in the preseason games, but for right now...I'm super high on putting Drake into the Flex spot over a WR2 position. Watching him last season was pretty electric - a threat to take it to the endzone anytime he touched the ball with clear breakaway speed. 

 

I like stats, but I'm also big on the eye test...and Drake was like Eric Dickerson in Nintendo's Tecmo Bowl compared to everyone else on the field.

 

 

Edited by FooserX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now