DerrickHenrysCleats

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

On 3/25/2018 at 5:52 PM, Lamont Sanford said:

Just a matter of when, not if, we should doubt Frank Gore. It’s ok to applaud his longevity while being realistic about his ability. 

I mean, eventually he has to retire right?

This guy has top 10 potential if he receives the lions share. I'm still on the fence about him being a keeper for me but I really like what I saw last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sberko1243 said:

This guy has top 10 potential if he receives the lions share. I'm still on the fence about him being a keeper for me but I really like what I saw last year.

Agreed. Have a feeling his talent won’t keep him off the field, either that or Gase will get axed. Last year Drake’s mishaps were grossly magnified and Gase (being the ego driven moron that he is) benched him for the plodder Williams. This season Gore will make him a better back and teach him all of his vet tricks and how to take care of his body, etc, etc .. and he’ll take off .. 

Edited by FantasyGuru24

(RotoWire) Drake relayed Friday that he has added five or 10 pounds since the 2017 season ended, the Palm Beach Post reports. "So I'm about 215 right now," Drake noted. "I know as I run around I'll probably lose that weight. But maintaining it is definitely something I want to do. Get to that weight to begin with, sustain it during the offseason program. Then when training camp hits, I might lose five pounds, but I'll still be at an optimal weight for the season."

Analysis: While we won't read too much into Drake's modest weight gain, his comments support the notion that he's prepping himself for a large workload this coming season. The 24-year old had 133 carries for 644 yards and 32 catches for 239 yards (four TDs) last year, with the bulk of that production coming in December as he eventually moved into a high-volume role following the trade of Jay Ajayi to the Eagles. The Dolphins added steady veteran Frank Gore instead of re-signing Damien Williams (Chiefs), but the more explosive Drake still figures to lead the way in Miami's 2018 backfield.

4 minutes ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

Agreed. Have a feeling his talent won’t keep him off the field, either that or Gase will get axed. Last year Drake’s mishaps were grossly magnified and Gase (being the ego driven moron that he is) benched him for the plodder Williams. This season Gore will make him a better back and teach him all of his vet tricks and how to take care of his body, etc, etc .. and he’ll take off .. 

Let's revisit in a couple of weeks.  Drake has to hope that the Fins don't grab one of the 10 or more very talented 3 down RBs in this year's draft.  

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Let's revisit in a couple of weeks.  Drake has to hope that the Fins don't grab one of the 10 or more very talented 3 down RBs in this year's draft.  

Their GM should be fired if he spends a top 130 pick on a RB.  

Ballage is a complimentary RB. I really like him,  but I don't think we're looking at a guy who will ever be a starting NFL RB. 

Buy Drake and McKinnon right now.

I do like Ballage though. He's got good size for the NFL. Maybe he can be a starter, but those things are often unpredictable after round 3 of the rookie draft.

Edited by the lone star

This has the makings of a Philly type of backfield. Where 3 or more backs are going to get a near even split of touches.

After reading Clay and other general info I feel much better about Drake maintaining feature back status.

(dynastyleaguefootball) The Miami Dolphins selected RB Kalen Ballage with the 131st selection in the 2018 NFL Draft

Analysis: Here's an interesting back landing in an interesting situation. Ballage carries big-back size (6'2/228) and ran an impressive 4.46 at the NFL Combine. Wasn't ultra-productive at Arizona State but was used for his versatility. In his four years, he produced 1,984 yards and 27 touchdowns on 450 attempts (4.4 ypc.) in the run game. In the passing game, he logged 82 receptions and two touchdowns, proving his versatility. Kenyan Drake is the clear RB1 in Miami but Ballage has the flexibility and size to push for touches on all downs if needed. Ballage is an intriguing mid-to-late second-round selection for coaches willing to accept the risk, or in the third round as a value selection. On DLF's rookie running back rankings, Ballage is the RB11 but will likely rise in the coming days.

This is good news for Drake

On 4/15/2018 at 1:33 PM, shaft4783 said:

Their GM should be fired if he spends a top 130 pick on a RB.  

GM (Chris Grier) is safe.  Ballage went #131.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

So is this arrow still pointing up? I'm a big Drake fan, as well as a Fins fan. I owned Drake in all my leagues last year and he was greatly underused in a lot of games.  Which gets me to the coach.  Is Gase going to commit to Drake this year or is it musical chairs again?

I don't doubt the talent, I doubt the coaching staff.  A better QB situation should also help Drake.  If I know Drake is going to get some decent touches/work in the passing game I like him even better.  Gore likely wasn't going to steal a bunch of passing game work but what about Ballage?  Hows his pass pro?  

Every year a bunch of rookie RBs have so much hype, until they step on an NFL field and show whether they can produce or not.   Right now I like where Drake is at.

I get the measureables with Ballage, but something must have prevented him from having a bigger role at ASU.  His curious college usage has me thinking that maybe he won't end up being quite the threat to Drake's workload as some of the other drafted RBs might have been.  Ballage's usage and performance during PS will hopefully provide some clarity.

How comfortable are people in keeper leagues keeping Drake? I have multiple leagues where I could keep him.  I want to but my Teal-colored glasses might be causing me some issues. I don't really see a threat, but then again there is always the Coach.

21 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

How comfortable are people in keeper leagues keeping Drake?

Deciding between Drake and Devonta Freeman. Freeman should be the obvious choice, right? Or do we think Drake is close enough that it bears some thought?

Drake seems obvious in the passing game, but don’t be surprised if Gore gets some third down work.  He’s extremely dependable in pass protection and can catch the ball. He’s just not the typical 3rd down speed guy people typically think of

2 minutes ago, Saucy said:

Deciding between Drake and Devonta Freeman. Freeman should be the obvious choice, right? Or do we think Drake is close enough that it bears some thought?

I know this is really for the other forum but I don't mind discussing values of RBs in relation to each other. Freeman should be a solid RB again this year as long as he stays healthy. He seems to have a more defined role, at least one with less risk at this point.

Drake has all the tools but I'm not sure the coach 100% believes in him yet.  Drake had some monster games last year as the season went on. If he is given the starting role and enough touches each game he's going to do some big things and bust some long ones.

2 hours ago, Saucy said:

Freeman, risk reward profile is better. Drake’s profile has a lot of bust potential. 

Drake’s line looks average, game script looks below average, volume questionable with Gore signing because we know the Dolphins want to use multiple backs. Kenyan Drake looks to be going in that adp range as the 15th back off the board. I’d rather take a WR. 

41 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Freeman, risk reward profile is better. Drake’s profile has a lot of bust potential. 

Drake’s line looks average, game script looks below average, volume questionable with Gore signing because we know the Dolphins want to use multiple backs. Kenyan Drake looks to be going in that adp range as the 15th back off the board. I’d rather take a WR. 

There are other factors at play, its not just keeping Freeman or Drake. Keeping Drake would cost me less. Its a difficult situation to explain.

4 hours ago, Saucy said:

Depends on the round discrepancy, but it would have to be a pretty substantial difference for me to keep Drake over Freeman.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 2:59 AM, Rolling Thunder said:

GM (Chris Grier) is safe.  Ballage went #131.

Haha!  I think I'm gonna play the lotto today

• Haha 1