thebrowns

2018 Rookie WR Class

I don't know, this receiver class just seems like a ton of dart throws. I don't even think that there is a tier one, just really big tiers two and three. I'm sure there will be a couple of guys that break out in the NFL, but guessing who they will be is total crap shoot this year. I think I'll just draft RB's and QB's early and start throwing WR darts in the 3rd round of rookie drafts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Oh, NFL.com scouting reports:

HbsXSF0.png

All those strengths and weaknesses seem pretty spot on.  Just that last sentence is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

All those strengths and weaknesses seem pretty spot on.  Just that last sentence is ridiculous.

I usually don't have a problem with weaknesses being listed, it's just when they make a "Bottom Line" projection that is so far off it's amusing.

• Like 1

This is the worst WR class i have ever seen. if you have anything but 1.01 in your dynasty rookie draft - you should be trying to sell.

*Pete immediately offers me Donte Moncrief for all my rookie picks*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

This is the worst WR class i have ever seen. if you have anything but 1.01 in your dynasty rookie draft - you should be trying to sell.

Just a point of curiosity, how many classes have you seen?

2 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

Just a point of curiosity, how many classes have you seen?

Spent a lot of time watching collegiate prospects since 2008. Followed the draft closely since the Texans came up in 2002. 

It is definitely the worst WR class at the top that I have ever seen. Others have been less deep. I cannot remember a pool of WR prospects where I didn't think a single one of them should be considered even at the end of the first round. 

For fantasy purposes, we're really gonna have to wait and see where these guys land. I don't think there are any transcendent talents that can be projected to put up a specific stat line no matter of who calls their name. I liked the Cooper Kupp reference earlier. I did not like him as a prospect but ended up having him on a bevy of dynasty squads because of his landing spot. 

Courtland Sutton reminds me of Laquon Treadwell. I was in love with Treadwell until Minnesota called his name. A lot of folks in the dynasty industry thought that was a good spot but I didn't see it. It's a shame we will probably never get to see what he can do with full snaps and a QB who will take chances. This will sound weird but if the Jets would have taken Treadwell, he would have already had a 1,000 yard season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

Courtland Sutton reminds me of Laquon Treadwell. I was in love with Treadwell until Minnesota called his name. A lot of folks in the dynasty industry thought that was a good spot but I didn't see it. It's a shame we will probably never get to see what he can do with full snaps and a QB who will take chances. This will sound weird but if the Jets would have taken Treadwell, he would have already had a 1,000 yard season. 

Any interest in Moncrief?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

Spent a lot of time watching collegiate prospects since 2008. 

I've spent a lot of time watching Cap, Son of Cap, Ghost of Cap... ... ...

I’m not nearly as down on these WRs as my boy Cap. While there may not end up being any monster WR1s, I feel there’s a few guys that can be very productive on the right teams.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

Spent a lot of time watching collegiate prospects since 2008. Followed the draft closely since the Texans came up in 2002. 

It is definitely the worst WR class at the top that I have ever seen. Others have been less deep. I cannot remember a pool of WR prospects where I didn't think a single one of them should be considered even at the end of the first round. 

30 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

For fantasy purposes, we're really gonna have to wait and see where these guys land. I don't think there are any transcendent talents that can be projected to put up a specific stat line no matter of who calls their name. I liked the Cooper Kupp reference earlier. I did not like him as a prospect but ended up having him on a bevy of dynasty squads because of his landing spot. 

I think that the point about fantasy is legit, landing spot means a lot this year. Ridley and Washington should be solid contributors regardless of the landing spot. There have been very few transcendent players Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, etc will get their's regardless of fit and it was fairly obvious. I personally love Auden Tate in this class (needs some major development). It will make sense to me if Washington or Ridley go in the first round.

As far as players who don't deserve to get drafted in the first round, based on scouting (obviously someone from this class will breakout), no WR was drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft. Those are NFL minds passing in the first and a guy like Jordy probably doesn't succeed like he did everywhere.

2008 Draft:

2.02 - Donnie Avery

2.03 - Devin Thomas

2.04 - Jordy Nelson

2.09 - James Hardy

2.10 - Eddie Royal

2.14 - Jerome Simpson

2.17 - DeSean Jackson

2.19 - Malcolm Kelly

2.21 - Limas Sweed

2.26 - Dexter Jackson

Other Notables: Mario Manningham 95ovr, Piere Garcon 205ovr, 

Sometimes top talent doesn't turn out like the 2012 Draft:
1.05 Justin Blackmon

1.13 Michael Floyd

1.20 Kendall Wright

1.30 AJ Jenkins

2.01 Brian Quick

2.11 Stephen Hill

2.13 Alshon Jeffery

2.22 Ryan Broyles

2.31 Reuben Randle

I agree, going into the draft this seems like it is in the back half of the last 10 years from a prospect perspective. We'll know what the League thinks in April and that will give more context to the discussion. That '08 class looked rough; the '12 class turned out rough (note: Sanu went 83ovr, ty hilton went 92ovr, travis benjamin went 100ovr, marvin jones 166ovr, Rishard Matthews 227ovr.

I think this class is 6-8 overall in the last 10 classes prospect wise. I think we'll see it in the 4-6 range in final production, it feels deep. Next year should overshadow it from a historical perspective. 

Edited by thebrowns
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

I usually don't have a problem with weaknesses being listed, it's just when they make a "Bottom Line" projection that is so far off it's amusing.

"Lacks top end speed to separate vertically"... that was a miss.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm all in on Calvin ridley. I think he's the best WR in the class and I'm gonna target him for sure in drafts (pending landing spot of course). 

Objectively, I think he's one of the higher ceilings and requires the least projection.  But his build really worries me.  I'll be surprised if he weighs in as 190.  Weight isn't everything, but the eye test looks ridiculously small to be taking NFL hits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GhostOfCap said:

I agree but like the RBs of this draft so not panic selling picks 

Edited by Wild Thing

36 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Objectively, I think he's one of the higher ceilings and requires the least projection.  But his build really worries me.  I'll be surprised if he weighs in as 190.  Weight isn't everything, but the eye test looks ridiculously small to be taking NFL hits.

His build is a problem

6 hours ago, thebrowns said:

I think that the point about fantasy is legit, landing spot means a lot this year. Ridley and Washington should be solid contributors regardless of the landing spot. There have been very few transcendent players Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, etc will get their's regardless of fit and it was fairly obvious. I personally love Auden Tate in this class (needs some major development). It will make sense to me if Washington or Ridley go in the first round.

As far as players who don't deserve to get drafted in the first round, based on scouting (obviously someone from this class will breakout), no WR was drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft. Those are NFL minds passing in the first and a guy like Jordy probably doesn't succeed like he did everywhere.

2008 Draft:

2.02 - Donnie Avery

2.03 - Devin Thomas

2.04 - Jordy Nelson

2.09 - James Hardy

2.10 - Eddie Royal

2.14 - Jerome Simpson

2.17 - DeSean Jackson

2.19 - Malcolm Kelly

2.21 - Limas Sweed

2.26 - Dexter Jackson

Other Notables: Mario Manningham 95ovr, Piere Garcon 205ovr, 

Sometimes top talent doesn't turn out like the 2012 Draft:
1.05 Justin Blackmon

1.13 Michael Floyd

1.20 Kendall Wright

1.30 AJ Jenkins

2.01 Brian Quick

2.11 Stephen Hill

2.13 Alshon Jeffery

2.22 Ryan Broyles

2.31 Reuben Randle

I agree, going into the draft this seems like it is in the back half of the last 10 years from a prospect perspective. We'll know what the League thinks in April and that will give more context to the discussion. That '08 class looked rough; the '12 class turned out rough (note: Sanu went 83ovr, ty hilton went 92ovr, travis benjamin went 100ovr, marvin jones 166ovr, Rishard Matthews 227ovr.

I think this class is 6-8 overall in the last 10 classes prospect wise. I think we'll see it in the 4-6 range in final production, it feels deep. Next year should overshadow it from a historical perspective. 

I agree,  I think there are guys that can play and will be productive in the NFL but there are no clear cut can't miss WR1s (there rarely are,  ha).  

As always, situation is going to be huge.

To be fair Blackmon and Floyd absolutely had wr1 potential but both derailed their careers off the field. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GhostOfCap said:

As a vikings fan i truly believe this would not be the case. The vikings have tried to incorporate treadwell alot, he got a ton of field time this year and had targets thrown his way, including 50/50 balls that was supposed to be his greatest strength. Keenum threw it up to diggs and theilen many times, but it comes down to laquon himself. He is not a very gifted route runner- which i believe is the best way a slower wr can still be productive in the nfl, lacks the quick twitch to gain seperation, has trouble beating press off the line. He had every chance to prove something in practice or camp and get that #2 spot that theilen has grown into.

Book probably isnt finished being written on treadwell tho. A change of scenery is needed. I had hopes for him, but he was about my 4th favorite wr that class.

I see alot more with sutton then i did with laquon. Im interested to see how he tests but he almost reminds me of A.J green. Hes definatley not there yet and I dont think he is as fast but very fluid body movements, ability to track the ball in traffic and adjust, enough route running skills to slot into an outside role from day one, one handed/acrobatic/inbetween 3 defenders/sideline toe tapping: you name it - suttons got a highlight with it. He doesnt display these things on a constant basis - he definatley has his ups and down. But i think you see the upside of what he could be. Testing will be a big part. If he proves to be laquon treadwell-type slow, that could definatley be a red flag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

As a vikings fan i truly believe this would not be the case. The vikings have tried to incorporate treadwell alot, he got a ton of field time this year and had targets thrown his way, including 50/50 balls that was supposed to be his greatest strength. Keenum threw it up to diggs and theilen many times, but it comes down to laquon himself. He is not a very gifted route runner- which i believe is the best way a slower wr can still be productive in the nfl, lacks the quick twitch to gain seperation, has trouble beating press off the line. He had every chance to prove something in practice or camp and get that #2 spot that theilen has grown into.

Book probably isnt finished being written on treadwell tho. A change of scenery is needed. I had hopes for him, but he was about my 4th favorite wr that class.

I see alot more with sutton then i did with laquon. Im interested to see how he tests but he almost reminds me of A.J green. Hes definatley not there yet and I dont think he is as fast but very fluid body movements, ability to track the ball in traffic and adjust, enough route running skills to slot into an outside role from day one, one handed/acrobatic/inbetween 3 defenders/sideline toe tapping: you name it - suttons got a highlight with it. He doesnt display these things on a constant basis - he definatley has his ups and down. But i think you see the upside of what he could be. Testing will be a big part. If he proves to be laquon treadwell-type slow, that could definatley be a red flag. 

Liked for the Treadwell assessment.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:27 PM, GhostOfCap said:

2006 and 2013 were really poor WR classes. They're pretty much the mark for me.

Even 2008, which had no 1st round WRs, I thought was better. Eddie Royal, Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson... I think 2008 is similar to this year in some ways, but this year is deeper. I bet this year's players end up better than 2008's (in part just because of how many 2nd-5th round talents there are), but I'm not sure they're much better on tape.

The only WR I feel confident is a plus NFL talent is Antonio Callaway, and he may not ever play in the league for off-field reasons.

Courtland sutton answered alot of questions today. Everyone wanted to paint this guy as "stiff" and "the next treadwell" all he did was...

6.57 3 cone (Top 3 for wr, same as mcaffery last year)

4.11 shuttle (top 4 at position)

11.06 60 yard shuttle (top 2)

4.54 forty, at 6'3/218

35.5 vertical

10'4 broad jump

And 18 reps on the bench.

Guy looks pretty legit to me. We already knew he was a beast in college, i think these number just answered alot of concerns regarding explosiveness, speed, sudden-ness and ability to gain seperation. Compares favorably to the combine #s of Michael Thomas and Alshon Jeffrey.

Edited by vikingapocalypse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Courtland sutton answered alot of questions today. Everyone wanted to paint this guy as "stiff" and "the next treadwell" all he did was...

6.57 3 cone (Top 3 for wr, same as mcaffery last year)

4.11 shuttle (top 4 at position)

11.06 60 yard shuttle (top 2)

4.54 forty, at 6'3/218

35.5 vertical

10'4 broad jump

And 18 reps on the bench.

Guy looks pretty legit to me. We already knew he was a beast in college, i think these number just answered alot of concerns regarding explosiveness, speed, sudden-ness and ability to gain seperation. Compares favorably to the combine #s of Michael Thomas and Alshon Jeffrey.

Vikes is the man, i trust his advice

• Like 1