thebrowns

2018 Rookie WR Class

1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Courtland sutton answered alot of questions today. Everyone wanted to paint this guy as "stiff" and "the next treadwell" all he did was...

6.57 3 cone (Top 3 for wr, same as mcaffery last year)

4.11 shuttle (top 4 at position)

11.06 60 yard shuttle (top 2)

4.54 forty, at 6'3/218

35.5 vertical

10'4 broad jump

And 18 reps on the bench.

Guy looks pretty legit to me. We already knew he was a beast in college, i think these number just answered alot of concerns regarding explosiveness, speed, sudden-ness and ability to gain seperation. Compares favorably to the combine #s of Michael Thomas and Alshon Jeffrey.

Only question left is his hands. 

4 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Only question left is his hands. 

Saw you mention that earlier.  I'd bet money you've watched more tape than me, but you saying he wasn't sure handed was the first I'd heard of it.  

Ridley looked bad at the combine imo.  He was falling down on routes and dropped some passes.

He just didn't look very solid and his numbers other than the 40 were pretty pedestrian.

Of course it's just a combine and not a game, but it was a little surprising to see him so unatheletic.

24 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Saw you mention that earlier.  I'd bet money you've watched more tape than me, but you saying he wasn't sure handed was the first I'd heard of it.  

They aren't awful but he has a technique issue that leads to unnecessary drops. 

On 2/21/2018 at 2:27 PM, GhostOfCap said:

Spent a lot of time watching collegiate prospects since 2008. Followed the draft closely since the Texans came up in 2002. 

It is definitely the worst WR class at the top that I have ever seen. Others have been less deep. I cannot remember a pool of WR prospects where I didn't think a single one of them should be considered even at the end of the first round. 

Are you by any chance one of the guys that I talk draft stuff with on Texans Talk? 

30 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Ridley looked bad at the combine imo.  He was falling down on routes and dropped some passes.

He just didn't look very solid and his numbers other than the 40 were pretty pedestrian.

Of course it's just a combine and not a game, but it was a little surprising to see him so unatheletic.

Don't go full on Jets and fall in love with Stephen Hill. 

Players are made on the field. 

I worry most about his thin frame, but this isn't 1998 anymore. NFL has gotten soft because they want pass happy scoring offenses. If this was 1998 I'd say he's gonna have a hard time making it as a player in this league, but it's 2018 and soft can do just fine in today's NFL IMO. 

He routinely made SEC DBs look silly. I think he will do the same in the NFL. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 96mnc said:

They aren't awful but he has a technique issue that leads to unnecessary drops. 

So can the poor technique you saw be coached out of him or did what you see make you think it is unlikely to change?

1 minute ago, Wild Thing said:

So can the poor technique you saw be coached out of him or did what you see make you think it is unlikely to change?

I honestly have no idea.   I'd like to think it can be coached out of him but that's on the player.  

9 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Players like Quincy Enunwa show it can change. 

It’s definitely something that can change. Will it change? I don’t know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I honestly have no idea.   I'd like to think it can be coached out of him but that's on the player.  

What is this technique problem exactly? I see typical college flaws. Hes not perfect. But his hands have also had their moments of greatness and that deserves the same attention. Its nit picking. His drops look more focus-oriented to me i.e getting ahead of himself and looking up field too early. 

Just seems people are looking for reasons not to like this guy, and all he does is prove everyone wrong. Pre combine it was :

"Posession reciever, attacks the ball, wins those 50/50 but concerns on speed and agility to gain seperation at the next level:

Now its

"Checks all the boxes, but his hands are a question"

Just think people are having a hard time coming to terms with the wrong assesment they came in with. Time to give the guy his props for being more then what was expected.

Edited by vikingapocalypse

3 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

What is this technique problem exactly? I see typical college flaws. Hes not perfect. But his hands have also had their moments of greatness and that deserves the same attention. Its nit picking. His drops look more focus-oriented to me i.e getting ahead of himself and looking up field too early. 

Just seems people are looking for reasons not to like this guy, and all he does is prove everyone wrong. Pre combine it was :

"Posession reciever, attacks the ball, wins those 50/50 but concerns on speed and agility to gain seperation at the next level:

Now its

Just think people are having a hard time coming to terms with the wrong assesment they came in with. Time to give the guy his props for being more then what was expected.

The only issue I've really seen with his technique is a tendency to trap the ball rather than catch it and a tendency to depend on his awesome frame instead of jumping and high pointing the ball. Sometimes when catching, rather than trapping, he'll try to one hand it when he could put two of those mitts on it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Now its

There's a film study by someone out that shows his tendency to time catches with his palms facing  in (instead of having them facing out & close together) on targets above his head >>> poor technique which has led to easy drops.

Probably an easy fix.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

There's a film study by someone out that shows his tendency to time catches with his palms facing  in (instead of having them facing out & close together) on targets above his head >>> poor technique which has led to easy drops.

Probably an easy fix.

Fair assesment, hes definatley not without his faults. Ive seen some of the drops on tape. If he really checked off all the boxes, hed probably be a top 10 pick. I am optimistic about his ability to translate to the nfl, tho. Think alot of these minor technical issues can be coached at the next level.

• Like 1

I think Ridley is a 2nd or 3rd round pick in any other good WR draft class. Appears like a weak class overall and probably not many, if any, starters for next season. Although we didn't see many starters from last season's crop either. And the ones that started last season failed to impress.

Sigh. This has me dreading my #2 overall draft slot in my dynasty. I won't get Barkley. WR's are unappealing. Hope that #2 RB is a stud for some team next season.

12 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Players like Quincy Enunwa show it can change. 

It’s definitely something that can change. Will it change? I don’t know. 

Great example.

12 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Now its

His combine likely sealed his draft position as a top 3 wr.  And with rare exceptions (Treadwell looks like one ;) ) that draft pedigree is going to buy him time and the opportunity to correct the issue (and people above have talked about it, it is hand positioning).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

That was a fun thread on Twitter.  Matt is gifted and classy. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, boltup15 said:

"Anyone know where I can find any game play of Korey Robertson?" 

I like draftbreakdown.com, I ran a search for your player & there wasn't anything, but there is another way. What I often do, if there's a prominent player within the same offense, the QB i.e., I'll find film on my player that way. It seems you may be looking for value and a guy I'm liking is Cedric Wilson. Probably a late day two-early day three guy. His listed measurables suggest a stick, disproportional, but he isn't. He does need to add, get stronger & make better use of his hands.       

Cedric Wilson

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/09/12/cedrick-wilson-vs-washington-state-2017/

"Won't always keep feet under him which caused occasional stumbles at the top of his routes. ... "They like him inside his building. He's a worker and he doesn't take anything for granted because he had to work his way into this position. He's self made." http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/cedrick-wilson?id=2559965

You want an exceptional trait skill-wise, but I also look for intangibles & here's a kid who has some. Still transititioning from the QB position but his head is right where you want it! The ball in his hands & unanticipated change of direction, there's some knock-knee action going on, gathering himself, which may lend itself to the initial point I cited. But he counters that nicely by sinking his weight. I don't know whether you'd have to commit to him now, but depending on where he lands, he's a guy to keep an eye on. I also think that any WR who doesn't carry baggage & ends up in SF is another one to watch out for.   

Edited by markrc99

8 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Decent comp for him. Definatley a size/speed freak. 214 is a pretty good weight. Wish he did more at the combine but i like his game. Looked pretty fast on film i was eager to see him test.  Gets jammed at the line sometimes, seems to have a little more trouble with press corners. Ball tracking in the air seems to be just fair, thought he couldve adjusted better on some of the tape i watched, but hes clearly one of those raw athletes with all the intangibles. Think someone will be very happy with him.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2018 at 10:43 PM, devaster said:

I think Ridley is a 2nd or 3rd round pick in any other good WR draft class. Appears like a weak class overall and probably not many, if any, starters for next season. Although we didn't see many starters from last season's crop either. And the ones that started last season failed to impress.

Sigh. This has me dreading my #2 overall draft slot in my dynasty. I won't get Barkley. WR's are unappealing. Hope that #2 RB is a stud for some team next season.

You are drafting a RB at 1.02 and it comes down to landing spot

33 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

You are drafting a RB at 1.02 and it comes down to landing spot

I kind of feel the Georgia guys in any other year would be getting alot of attention.  I agree that you'd take an RB #2 as opposed to any WR in this crop.

10 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

I kind of feel the Georgia guys in any other year would be getting alot of attention.  I agree that you'd take an RB #2 as opposed to any WR in this crop.

Not to completely hijack the thread but for me it’s guice or Michel depending on landing spot. And to bring it back to the WRs, this year I would not draft a WR until John Kelly and Mark Walton are off the board. That’s just me though.

• Like 1