SpecialFNK

Whit Merrifield 2018 Outlook

Have there been any trade rumors?

What teams would want to give anything up for him?

And do the Royals even have any intention of moving him at this point? He makes the league minimum for another year and a half, and then he has 3 years of arbitration, and his skill set doesn't get paid in arb. So they have him under control for dirt cheap for another 4.5 years... what incentive do they have for moving him now, even if there is interst from other teams?

Are they really going to get back anything that can help them more for when they're trying to compete in 2-3 years?

Edited by cs3

On 7/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, BMcP said:

This is unassailable math.

Hey, all the guy's gotta do is quadruple his HR rate.  Seems easy enough.

• Like 3

He’s played 81 games, has a solid 360OBP, 16 steals, and only has 34 runs... that is absurd, nobody there to drive him in dammit.

also, I agree with the poster above, I can’t see KC having any incentive to trade him.

6 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

He’s played 81 games, has a solid 360OBP, 16 steals, and only has 34 runs... that is absurd, nobody there to drive him in dammit.

also, I agree with the poster above, I can’t see KC having any incentive to trade him.

I can.  He is a late bloomer.  29 is he now?  And will turn 30 before next season starts.  So this is the time to trade him because KC is going nowhere for the next few years.  The fact that he is dirt cheap would increase his trade value a lot and KC has few pieces that can bring back much.  Because of his contract he could bring back much much more than a Moose rental trade for sure.

How much trade value do you think he has though? I'm not sure other value hom that highly.  Either way I think the Royals would be making a mistake to trade him while hes still making the league minimum. Realistically hes not going to bring back any more this year, than he will a year or 2 for now, and if they wait they might actually find themselves in contention again one of these seasons and not need to sell him off.

54 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I can.  He is a late bloomer.  29 is he now?  And will turn 30 before next season starts.  So this is the time to trade him because KC is going nowhere for the next few years.  The fact that he is dirt cheap would increase his trade value a lot and KC has few pieces that can bring back much.  Because of his contract he could bring back much much more than a Moose rental trade for sure.

Agreed. His super cheap contract makes him even more attractive, especially to mid/small market teams looking for a 2B at the deadline. 

The Brewers seem like a perfect spot.

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Agreed. His super cheap contract makes him even more attractive, especially to mid/small market teams looking for a 2B at the deadline. 

Other than switching leagues (which some guys have problems with), I would love that situation for him. Obviously he'd play 2B, but where would he fit in the lineup when everyone is healthy? Merrifield leading off with Cain-Yelich-Aguilar-Thames-Shaw-SS/C-C/SS-P rounding out the lineup? 

Brewers lineup combined with their friendly ballpark would be nothing short of a major fantasy boost to WMs 2018 outlook

Given his combination of speed/baserunning skills and his OBP he would seem like an ideal lead off hitter on pretty much every lineup in baseball

1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Except the Brewers just traded for Brad Miller and he is off to a hot start for them.  They also are reported to be interested in Derek Dietrich who is playing LF this year but in the past has played all over the infield making him a super utility guy.  Merrifield can play OF as well as 2B but his costs might be higher.

He could work in Cleveland too. Kipnis isn’t the player that he used to be. If they don’t land Machado (Jose Ramirez can move to 2b), of course.

Edited by drunkb

Just came across an article on the MLB app that says 

“Versitale Merrifield on Phillies Radar”

He’s the only player in the major to start atleast 5 games at 1st base, 2nd base, center field and right field.

I think he could pickup near everyday ABs playing a super utility role for the Phils. 

Edited by Under500Forever

27 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Just came across an article on the MLB app that says 

“Versitale Merrifield on Phillies Radar”

He’s the only player in the major to start atleast 5 games at 1st base, 2nd base, center field and right field.

I think he could pickup near everyday ABs playing a super utility role for the Phils. 

Hmm...interdasting. Not sure how much I'd like that. He's not replacing Hernandez at 2B. Does he have the arm to play RF? Does he have the arm to play some SS and/or 3B? A super-utility role seems okay, but I'm afraid he wouldn't be getting everyday ABs. Near everyday? Probably, but not the everyday ABs he should be getting. 

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Hmm...interdasting. Not sure how much I'd like that. He's not replacing Hernandez at 2B. Does he have the arm to play RF? Does he have the arm to play some SS and/or 3B? A super-utility role seems okay, but I'm afraid he wouldn't be getting everyday ABs. Near everyday? Probably, but not the everyday ABs he should be getting. 

Phils also interested in Moose too so they are kicking tires on both and see what happens.  Fox broadcast tonight of their game says Yankee scout in stands with Moose playing 1B tonight (hmmm) but Phils and Cards there too.  Maybe Phils will have a go at Moose and if that doesn't work they could go after Merrifield? 

He is currently playing CF (13 starts) but played most at 2B.  So he can probably handle both corners though he hasn't played in LF this year.  Eight starts in RF.  He also played enough 1B to qualify in Yahoo leagues but none at SS or 3B. 

He has 5 starts at 3B two years ago in 2016 and also some starts in LF last year.  2B though is his natural position.  I don't know his contract or Cesar's but if they end up with him the Phils have two natural 2B which means Kingery may stay at SS long long term and Crawford may be out.

He’s on Rotoworld’s buy low list

Whit Merrifield, Second baseman (Royals): In the areas of batting average (.290) and steals (16), Merrifield has been everything fantasy owners expected this season. But the 29-year-old has been held back by two variables. First, his low homer total (five) has been caused by bad luck (5.0 percent HR/FB rate) despite having produced plenty of hard contact (39.8 percent) and fly balls (37.5 percent). Second, his mediocre counting-stat totals (28 RBIs, 34 runs scored) have been impacted from hitting in baseball’s lowest-scoring lineup. Merrifield’s fly-ball fortune will likely improve in the second half, and although the Royals are unlikely to turn into an offensive juggernaut soon, they are also unlikely to struggle to the degree they have recently (2.3 runs per game since June 1) during the second half.

1 hour ago, Under500Forever said:

He’s on Rotoworld’s buy low list

Whit Merrifield, Second baseman (Royals): In the areas of batting average (.290) and steals (16), Merrifield has been everything fantasy owners expected this season. But the 29-year-old has been held back by two variables. First, his low homer total (five) has been caused by bad luck (5.0 percent HR/FB rate) despite having produced plenty of hard contact (39.8 percent) and fly balls (37.5 percent). Second, his mediocre counting-stat totals (28 RBIs, 34 runs scored) have been impacted from hitting in baseball’s lowest-scoring lineup. Merrifield’s fly-ball fortune will likely improve in the second half, and although the Royals are unlikely to turn into an offensive juggernaut soon, they are also unlikely to struggle to the degree they have recently (2.3 runs per game since June 1) during the second half.

RW must be crazy. As a Merrifield owner, there isn't a snowball's chance that I'd sell low on him. He's a 2B with 1B and OF eligibility (in Yahoo) who's hitting for a good BA and is on place for 30 SBs. If an owner in my league wants him, they better come with a solid offer. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

RW must be crazy. As a Merrifield owner, there isn't a snowball's chance that I'd sell low on him. He's a 2B with 1B and OF eligibility (in Yahoo) who's hitting for a good BA and is on place for 30 SBs. If an owner in my league wants him, they better come with a solid offer. 

I was pretty surprised to see his name there. 

Sure the homeruns aren’t there but his average/OBP is up. Like you said, he’s still on pace for 30 steals.

the counting stats suck but the Royals have the worse offense in baseball. I hope he gets traded and then maybe his counting stats would increase

The Red Sox need a second baseman . Holt - Nunez holding down the fort for Peddy but he isn't nearly the player he was a couple of years ago. 

I would love to see him in Boston 

Five hits and not a single stolen base. Wut tha?? Steal a friggin base, Mr. Merrifield. 

On a different note...he now has 27 doubles, which puts him on pace for 49. Sure would be nice if a few of those started going over walls, lol. 

I guess I've accepted that outside of the average and 25 steals he's ending up with 70 Runs, 8 HRs and 45 RBI

I don't know...

2 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

I guess I've accepted that outside of the average and 25 steals he's ending up with 70 Runs, 8 HRs and 45 RBI

I don't know...

Basically DJ LeMahieu with more steals, less runs. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2018 at 4:34 AM, Gumbo_Ghost said:

I don't know...

I keep waiting to see where he gets traded (if he does). Including today, he's now stolen 4 bases in 9 games and 3 in his last 4, and this was the primary reason I drafted him. I never believed in his power or that he'd approach 20 HR...though I did believe he'd hit ~12. He's not reaching that either, however.