NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Gronk finished the regular season with a 69/1084/8 (106 targets) line across 14 games, having missed one game due to the suspension and another for a thigh injury. He also suffered a concussion in the AFC Championship game vs Jacksonville. Pretty healthy year for him overall. 

Gronk dominated in the SB vs Philly with a 9/116/2 line, particularly with a huge second half effort. He made some headlines following the game with comments regarding his future: 

Rob Gronkowski was noncommittal on his playing future following the Patriots' Super Bowl loss to the Eagles.
Gronk said he is "definitely going to look at my future," and plans to rest for a few weeks before deciding whether to play in 2018. Gronk turns 29 in March. Although he suffered a concussion in the playoffs, this was one of Gronk's healthiest seasons, missing just one game to injury (and another to suspension). Gronk has too much good football left and too much money to earn to retire early.

Will Gronk return? Apparently he is contemplating a switch to acting per reports this AM. Will Gronk be spiking footballs next year or starring on movie sets? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Gronk finished the regular season with a 69/1084/8 (106 targets) line across 14 games, having missed one game due to the suspension and another for a thigh injury. He also suffered a concussion in the AFC Championship game vs Jacksonville. Pretty healthy year for him overall. 

Gronk dominated in the SB vs Philly with a 9/116/2 line, particularly with a huge second half effort. He made some headlines following the game with comments regarding his future: 

Will Gronk return? Apparently he is contemplating a switch to acting per reports this AM. Will Gronk be spiking footballs next year or starring on movie sets? 

Gronk reportedly (like Marshawn Lynch) hasn't spent a dime of his NFL contract money and has instead lived on endorsement money.  So the rotoworld blurb writer that cited money as a driving factor is misinformed.

Do I think he's really going to hang it up for 2018?  No,  I think he'll come back for one more run at a SB.  But I don't see him playing more than a year or two max.

He's a guy that has a bright future ahead of him in Hollywood (Von Miller does, too IMO) so I can't see him being a football lifer.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Gronk reportedly (like Marshawn Lynch) hasn't spent a dime of his NFL contract money and has instead lived on endorsement money.  So the rotoworld blurb writer that cited money as a driving factor is misinformed.

Do I think he's really going to hang it up for 2018?  No,  I think he'll come back for one more run at a SB.  But I don't see him playing more than a year or two max.

He's a guy that has a bright future ahead of him in Hollywood (Von Miller does, too IMO) so I can't see him being a football lifer.

not to go completely off topic but I see a long list of cameo spots playing as himself or a similar brute in a marvel movie, he doesn't strike me as a charismatic actor lol.. 

1 hour ago, JSA2422 said:

not to go completely off topic but I see a long list of cameo spots playing as himself or a similar brute in a marvel movie, he doesn't strike me as a charismatic actor lol.. 

He'd have to work at it a bit but the Expendables type roles are a viable option.   Action flicks, etc. 

WWE also.

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Gronk sucks at acting. Sort of important if you want to act.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Gronk sucks at acting. Sort of important if you want to act.

Acting, reality tv, wwe... something like that. 

Gronkowski has had some great years and great moments but he is DND for me, should he play in 2018.  Very high expected price and very high injury risk imo.

27 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Acting, reality tv, wwe... something like that. 

I would watch Gronk as the bachelor but he can do that in the offseason.

WWE dudes take a beating, and he'd have  to take a pay cut.

My understanding is he wants to be an action movie star.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

He'd have to work at it a bit but the Expendables type roles are a viable option.   Action flicks, etc. 

WWE also.

Expendables is the first movie that came to mind to me as well!

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

WWE also.

I can definitely see this happening although, he doesnt seem to possess the same skill-set as a DeAngelo Williams who was fantastic in his short stint with Impact Wrestling. Gronk does have more charisma and would probably be better on the mic.

I think Gronk is getting a lot of pressure from his family to retire. Can you imagine what it must be like for them watching their son risk body parts including his brain every week. I have family in Buffalo and the rumors were swirling about Gronk after last season. I think he plays 1 more year and then hangs up his cleats for an acting career.

2 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

I think Gronk is getting a lot of pressure from his family to retire. Can you imagine what it must be like for them watching their son risk body parts including his brain every week. I have family in Buffalo and the rumors were swirling about Gronk after last season. I think he plays 1 more year and then hangs up his cleats for an acting career.

That's why WWE makes zero sense though. 

I think he'll stick around one more year, maybe two. But I do see him being one to retire early and try a career in Hollywood. I don't think he makes it, but if he's smart with his $$$ somewhat, he should be set for life.

Apparently after his last concussion he was caught in a repetitive loop of saying the same thing over and over. I heard that is a really serious case. Some players retire after concussion symptoms like that. And then he has also had a number of injuries, especially to his back.

I'd say he plays one more season. He has a future in WWE.

34 minutes ago, devaster said:

Apparently after his last concussion he was caught in a repetitive loop of saying the same thing over and over. I heard that is a really serious case. Some players retire after concussion symptoms like that. And then he has also had a number of injuries, especially to his back.

I'd say he plays one more season. He has a future in WWE.

There is no severity scale of concussions anymore. Hasn't been for at least the past 4 years according to the American Academy of Neurology.

For his sake I hope he retires. He's young, wealthy and has his whole life ahead of him. But then again he's not the brightest bulb in the lamp. He probably had brain damage long before his football career. But in all seriousness he's one hit away from being a zombie.

I always pictured him buying a house in Tucson and just banging coeds the rest of his life while mentoring young men how to do keg stands.

I hope he has the opportunity to enjoy retirement when he chooses to, he has been sensational to watch in his career.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

I always pictured him buying a house in Tucson and just banging coeds the rest of his life while mentoring young men how to do keg stands.

I hope he has the opportunity to enjoy retirement when he chooses to, he has been sensational to watch in his career.

Can I go with him, please??

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2018 at 1:25 PM, 96mnc said:

Not only that, but his family is well off; his brothers have played in the NFL, dad has a successful gym equipment business. There is zero reason for him to stick around.

Only thing left for him is his legacy. He's probably the greatest tight end of all time, or at least top 3. So it really comes down to whether he wants another superbowl. Or hall of fame credentials.

My guess is, he'll go when Tom Brady does. When that happens, nobody knows. Brady wants another Superbowl, and he won't get one without Gronk.

Trade rumors?   These make no sense.    "Yeah, we're tired of Gronk not committing to us, he might retire...........but lets trade him! Surely another team is going to pay full value for this guy who's got one foot out the door on his career"

He has to commit to playing even one more year before he has an ounce of trade value, and even then, a team trading for him has to be weary that it could be just for one season.  He's year to year at this point unless he comes out and firmly states a desire to play many more years

11 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Trade rumors?   These make no sense.    "Yeah, we're tired of Gronk not committing to us, he might retire...........but lets trade him! Surely another team is going to pay full value for this guy who's got one foot out the door on his career"

He has to commit to playing even one more year before he has an ounce of trade value, and even then, a team trading for him has to be weary that it could be just for one season.  He's year to year at this point unless he comes out and firmly states a desire to play many more years

It's already done: Colts will declare Ebron has failed his physical thus voiding his "elite" contract, and Indy will take Gronk.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BrianM said:

“We’ve exhausted the Odell non-story, we need something else. F it, it’s Friday.”

- Sports Media 

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment that he probably comes back for one more year. Maybe two, but that's it.

The Patriots also clearly protect him by using him as little as they can afford to in the regular season, especially across the middle, to try to have him healthy for the playoffs.

Even with the injury concerns and the reduced usage, he's still clear TE1. Just a testament to how otherworldly good he is. But yeah, I don't expect to own him much for the remainder of his incredible career.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:50 PM, dmb3684 said:

I would watch Gronk as the bachelor but he can do that in the offseason.

WWE dudes take a beating, and he'd have  to take a pay cut.

My understanding is he wants to be an action movie star.

He's dumb as a stone. How would he possibly remember any of his lines? Not to mention he's had a gazillion concussions. He probably can't remember his name.

6 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

He's dumb as a stone. How would he possibly remember any of his lines? Not to mention he's had a gazillion concussions. He probably can't remember his name.

He's not dumb. At all. You fell for his act.