NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 minutes ago, RogerGoodell said:

Tough matchup this week. Jags held him to 1/21/0 in AFC title game. Anyone have the courage to start him?

I'm assuming this is a joke.  Does anyone have the courage to start the greatest TE to ever play the game with the greatest QB to ever play the game coming off a MVP season while they're still racking up huge numbers?  lol :lol:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RogerGoodell said:

Tough matchup this week. Jags held him to 1/21/0 in AFC title game. Anyone have the courage to start him?

Got hurt in that game.  If Gronk is on the field, he's in my lineup.  Requires 0 courage.

i do think it's a tough matchup, but you'd have to be out of your mind to sit him. Even if he has a bad game, it's probably something like 5-50-0, which is better than most tight ends' good games haha. Set and forget with Gronk, always.

28 minutes ago, timbrah_ho said:

Only time he sits is his bye week and during his annual injury 

I've even started him during the bye.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kyle87 said:

I've even started him during the bye.

Same. I started him when he sat out against Tampa last year and the bye. Won both weeks.

2 hours ago, TommyKramer said:

I'm assuming this is a joke.  Does anyone have the courage to start the greatest TE to ever play the game with the greatest QB to ever play the game coming off a MVP season while they're still racking up huge numbers?  lol :lol:

Any else annoyed that the "greatest TE to ever play the game" is such a big doofus? 

• Haha 1

don't know how anyone considering sitting him in any game he is playing.  this guy is so firmly planted in the starting line up it isn't even funny

2 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

Any else annoyed that the "greatest TE to ever play the game" is such a big doofus? 

I don't think any of the girls are too concerned.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, timbrah_ho said:

Only time he sits is his bye week and during his annual injury 

Gronk also sits while he pees.

• Haha 1

I would be fine with starting Gronk and him putting up 6 points versus benching Gronk and watching him go off with 2TDs.

What happened?  I was busy watching the Lions lose.  At least next week the stars will align and I can watch both Gronk and the Lions lose at the same time.

35 minutes ago, Sternes said:

What happened?  I was busy watching the Lions lose.  At least next week the stars will align and I can watch both Gronk and the Lions lose at the same time.

Jags D happened. And Hogan got red zone targets. 

That stung. I thought the Patriots lacking receivers would help Gronk, but it certainly didn't against the Jags. The Patriots looked completely outmatched by the Jags' defense.

12 hours ago, Sweetness09 said:

Jags D happened. And Hogan got red zone targets. 

Doesn't really make any sense.  I wasn't able to watch, was wondering the game flow and usage.  4 targets is low.  Brady put up Eli's numbers from last week basically.  The only person who got a catch and was targeted less was Michel w 2.  Gronk had 4, Patterson of all people had 5. 

The Jags D is very good, but they aren't legendary elite good.  Heck, Gronk had 1 catch for 21 yards and 3 targets before getting concussed in the playoff game in what, 27 minutes of play? Gotta get him involved.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, OBoyle l 14 l said:

I would be fine with starting Gronk and him putting up 6 points versus benching Gronk and watching him go off with 2TDs.

What if he only puts up 1.5 points lol.

29 minutes ago, Sternes said:

The Jags D is very good, but they aren't legendary elite good.

Ramsay was on Gronk most of the day, who is easily a top 3 corner. Jags took a page out of Belichicks book and took out the Pat's best weapon, and it worked. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Doesn't really make any sense.  I wasn't able to watch, was wondering the game flow and usage.  4 targets is low.  Brady put up Eli's numbers from last week basically.  The only person who got a catch and was targeted less was Michel w 2.  Gronk had 4, Patterson of all people had 5. 

The Jags D is very good, but they aren't legendary elite good.  Heck, Gronk had 1 catch for 21 yards and 3 targets before getting concussed in the playoff game in what, 27 minutes of play? Gotta get him involved.

Brady just didn't consistently have enough time to get Gronk the ball yesterday. bad day for that offensive line, didn't help that Patterson was falling down on some of the typical chain moving plays the PATS get from their WRs to keep drives alive.

• Like 1

Just now, oliminator123 said:

Ramsay was on Gronk most of the day, who is easily a top 3 corner. Jags took a page out of Belichicks book and took out the Pat's best weapon, and it worked. 

Interesting.  I figured in that case get Gronk on short passes or let him use his frame to box him out if he isn't going to outrun him.  Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

Brady just didn't consistently have enough time to get Gronk the ball yesterday. bad day for that offensive line, didn't help that Patterson was falling down on some of the typical chain moving plays the PATS get from their WRs to keep drives alive.

Something I've noticed that a lot of other teams do, but I don't recall the Pats really utilizing it or those short pass plays to the TE or TE screens.  I see it a lot with Ertz and Kelce but Gronk seemed to be used a lot downfield and across the middle and rarely on short stuff, unless he is the 3rd read and the other guys didn't get opened. 

2 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Something I've noticed that a lot of other teams do, but I don't recall the Pats really utilizing it or those short pass plays to the TE or TE screens.  I see it a lot with Ertz and Kelce but Gronk seemed to be used a lot downfield and across the middle and rarely on short stuff, unless he is the 3rd read and the other guys didn't get opened. 

well that is where he has the matchup advantage right? so it would make sense to run him downfield