NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

Something I've noticed that a lot of other teams do, but I don't recall the Pats really utilizing it or those short pass plays to the TE or TE screens.  I see it a lot with Ertz and Kelce but Gronk seemed to be used a lot downfield and across the middle and rarely on short stuff, unless he is the 3rd read and the other guys didn't get opened. 

 

He's a big, doofy, clumsy fellow. I'm not surprised they don't give him the short stuff. He is known for fighting for the ball, rather than making something happen after the catch. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

well that is where he has the matchup advantage right? so it would make sense to run him downfield

 

I'd say get him involved anyway possible.  Patriots seem to be fine allowing him to be neutralized.

 

Should have been more of this.

 

https://www.patriots.com/video/rob-gronkowski-evades-defender-with-slick-hesitation-move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

He's a big, doofy, clumsy fellow. I'm not surprised they don't give him the short stuff. He is known for fighting for the ball, rather than making something happen after the catch. 

 

?????

 

Dude is the greatest TE to ever play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

?????

 

Dude is the greatest TE to ever play.

I know. Doesn't change the fact that he is big and doofy. Clumsy I threw in for visual effect. I like to picture Gronk accidentally walking into walls and doors because it seems his personality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I want Gronk trying to execute bubble screens. Standing there flat footed waiting for the ball, you're just begging some DB to put a hat right on his kneecap. I like that big oaf better when he's running away from linebackers

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buster444 said:

Thoughts on Gronk now that Gordon is there?

#1 overall TE.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

#1 overall TE.

Exactly. Doesn't change anything other than they have to account for a big WR - assuming Gordon plays, and stays clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm expecting Gronk to feast even more than normal underneath now that they have Gordon to take the top off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both Gordon and Gronk, and I will play them both.  I think they will only help each other's fantasy value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dudewithabadcat said:

JG and Edelman coming back increases Gronk's value all day long.  The more this team gets in the redzone...the more Gronk will get fed.

This is the key.  This offense got bottled up this week. More weapons = more scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

Ramsay was on Gronk most of the day, who is easily a top 3 corner. Jags took a page out of Belichicks book and took out the Pat's best weapon, and it worked. 

 

I just listened to Chris Harris' podcast, and he said Ramsay lined up on him once in the first half.  He said maybe a couple times in the 2nd half. He didn't notice him shadowing Gronk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

I just listened to Chris Harris' podcast, and he said Ramsay lined up on him once in the first half.  He said maybe a couple times in the 2nd half. He didn't notice him shadowing Gronk.

Weird. I thought during the live telecast the announcers made it sound like he was on him constantly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVE this trade for Gordon. I'd be pissed if I had Hogan but this is just gonna open things up for Gronk in the short/middle. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Weird. I thought during the live telecast the announcers made it sound like he was on him constantly. 

Nah. He was on him once in the 1st and maybe a couple times in the 2nd. They mostly had safeties on Gronk and doubled him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon will definitely help Gronk. Good luck double teaming him now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

Weird. I thought during the live telecast the announcers made it sound like he was on him constantly. 

He wasn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I think Josh will do great with Pats and thus make Gronk even bigger. Gronk is always double teamed. If you do not respect Josh....its lights out. Like Josh, Gronk is known for a party style life, thing is, he and the pats have an understanding, he can do whatever, but it better NOT interfere with the season. Bill wont mother hen him. Josh has been gifted mad skills and now gifted an annual superbowl contender under the greatest coach of all time and the best QB of all time. Even with his issues, he can secure a legit legacy and hall of fame status in just a few seasons. So I see Gronk going crazy now. AND you have Eldleman coming back soon??? Dorsett and Hogan all not crap either. Pats just wen tot another level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 1:56 AM, oliminator123 said:

He's a big, doofy, clumsy fellow. I'm not surprised they don't give him the short stuff. He is known for fighting for the ball, rather than making something happen after the catch. 

Hes pretty damn good after the catch. He might not be your typical screen play speedster, but he is a monster. He runs theough DBs all day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 1:07 AM, quaglinoman said:

This is why I think Josh will do great with Pats and thus make Gronk even bigger. Gronk is always double teamed. If you do not respect Josh....its lights out. Like Josh, Gronk is known for a party style life, thing is, he and the pats have an understanding, he can do whatever, but it better NOT interfere with the season. Bill wont mother hen him. Josh has been gifted mad skills and now gifted an annual superbowl contender under the greatest coach of all time and the best QB of all time. Even with his issues, he can secure a legit legacy and hall of fame status in just a few seasons. So I see Gronk going crazy now. AND you have Eldleman coming back soon??? Dorsett and Hogan all not crap either. Pats just wen tot another level.

Josh is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic. That's nothing like Gronk's image of being a party dude. I realize not everyone can square that, but it's just really not the same at all.

 

Almost every time I think of Gronk I think about how he said he went to ASU because of pool parties. Guy's just a big dumb jock and it's awesome. He's a 12 year old in a giant's body. Impossible to hate this guy.

 

If Josh actually becomes a part of this offense - and that's not a given, guys, the Browns think he relapsed and he still has to pass drug tests - it totally opens things up for Gronk like you said, in terms of being doubled by a safety over top. It crushes the other WR's values IMO but it doesn't hurt Gronk at all. He'll be fine. Better than fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

Josh is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic. That's nothing like Gronk's image of being a party dude. I realize not everyone can square that, but it's just really not the same at all.

 

Almost every time I think of Gronk I think about how he said he went to ASU because of pool parties. Guy's just a big dumb jock and it's awesome. He's a 12 year old in a giant's body. Impossible to hate this guy.

 

 

 

 

Yep, Gronk goes out and parties like any of us. Gordon goes out and gets smashed night after night and cannot control the problem. It's not comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob Gronkowski (ankle) was added to the injury report as a limited participant at Thursday's practice.
We don't know much about Gronk's injury at the moment and knowing the tight-lipped Patriots, that might remain the case. Late-week additions to the injury report are never a good sign, but there's no real reason to worry yet. On the off chance Gronk sits, it would open up targets for Chris Hogan, James White, etc. etc. Sep 20 - 4:15 PM
 
 
giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sternes said:
Rob Gronkowski (ankle) was added to the injury report as a limited participant at Thursday's practice.
We don't know much about Gronk's injury at the moment and knowing the tight-lipped Patriots, that might remain the case. Late-week additions to the injury report are never a good sign, but there's no real reason to worry yet. On the off chance Gronk sits, it would open up targets for Chris Hogan, James White, etc. etc. Sep 20 - 4:15 PM
 
 
giphy.gif

Ugh just practice fully tomorrow please really don’t want to have to pick up a caddy te for Sunday night.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bmore86 said:

Ugh just practice fully tomorrow please really don’t want to have to pick up a caddy te for Sunday night.

 

Completely by chance I added Jesse James earlier in the week in the hopes of putting in a package.  Might not be a bad idea with him playing on Monday as an emergency backup if he is available in your league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.