NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

11 minutes ago, Sternes said:
Rob Gronkowski (ankle) was added to the injury report as a limited participant at Thursday's practice.
We don't know much about Gronk's injury at the moment and knowing the tight-lipped Patriots, that might remain the case. Late-week additions to the injury report are never a good sign, but there's no real reason to worry yet. On the off chance Gronk sits, it would open up targets for Chris Hogan, James White, etc. etc. Sep 20 - 4:15 PM

giphy.gif

business as usual, could have been limited or absent for any number of reasons. 

5 minutes ago, Panthor said:

business as usual, could have been limited or absent for any number of reasons. 

How is that business as usual?

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

How is that business as usual?

because every single year it seems Gronk ends up limited in the mididle of the practice week with something out of the blue and then it turns into nothing most of the time, so there isn't much  to worry about till we see what happens tomorrow  or during the saturday walk through since they have the sunday night game.

Friday is the day that matters, always

Unless it's MNF then it's Saturday

if he practices Friday he almost certainly goes

If he doesn't we will either hear sunday morning from Schefter or it will be GTD

Edited by Cotton Jones

7 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Get OJ Howard if he's available. Plays on Monday night.

One step ahead of you :)

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Not listed on final injury report. Activate Gronk smashes

Yep, he's fine.  Traditional mid-week Patriots injury report.  Proceed as usual.

The guy is legit double teamed every single play. Might just trade after the next good game. Doubt a 32 year old slot wr and a drug addict will have much impact on freeing him up.

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

The guy is legit double teamed every single play. Might just trade after the next good game. Doubt a 32 year old slot wr and a drug addict will have much impact on freeing him up.

Because teams are just going to leave Brady's most targeted WR and a 6'3 cheetah uncovered right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Gordon acquisition is great for Gronk's stock IMO. Fairly cut and dried to me

Let us pause for a moment and imagine what it would be like if Gronk lived in Detroit, after a trade to the Lions

I'm from Michigan and I'm very familiar with how un-Gronk Detroit is

I don't blame him for threatening to retire

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

Gordon acquisition is great for Gronk's stock IMO. Fairly cut and dried to me

Yeah Edelman can't return soon enough either although Gordon should be a bigger benefit as he'll stretch the field giving both more room to operate underneath. I think Hogan has been playing out of position in the slot so getting him back on the outside won't hurt as well. Not sure why Pats gave Stafford so much respect and didn't commit more to try to stop the run. It allowed Lion's to keep Brady and the offense off the field and prevented them from establishing any rhythm. Pats definitely need another playmaker though. 

Rob Gronkowski confirmed Sunday night that he resisted a trade this offseason to the Detroit Lions and threatened to retire.

When asked about a report that the New England Patriots were close to trading the All-Pro tight end to Detroit, Gronkowski corroborated the rumor, adding he had no desire to leave Tom Brady's side and nixed the swap by vowing to hang them up.

"Yeah, it happened," Gronk told reporters, per Greg Bedard of the Boston Sports Journal. "Brady's my quarterback. ... I wasn't going anywhere without Brady."

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported two weeks ago that there were several parties interested in Gronk's services this offseason and New England was close to a deal with one of them. ESPN reported Sunday that the team in question was the Lions.

The Lions signed tight end Luke Willson and Levine Toilolo this offseason after letting Eric Ebron walk. Meanwhile, Gronkowski agreed to terms on a revised contract with New England that pays him up to $13.3 million this year with $4.3 million in additional incentives.

Gronk led the Pats with four receptions for 51 yards in their loss to the Lions on Sunday.

NFL.com

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

Gronk double teamed every play. Edelman and Gordon will immediately spread that defense and get Gronk open. Brady will go from 1 real threat to an arsenal.

• Like 1

McDaniels is an idiot apparently because I saw zero adjustments.  Get some rub routes.  Put him in motion.  Line him up outside.  Hell pull a GB and put him in the backfield.  I didn't see much from his route tree and there didn't seem to be anything to get him loose, just "see what the D does" type mentality.  If he is your only weapon you get to him and find ways to get him involved, not let him get taken away and target the clown show at WR until Gordon gets on the field.

This was from week 1, they have to have known he was going to be double covered. 

CatchNoCatch2.gif

GronkTD1.gif

Instead he would rather throw up balls to Dorsett in double coverage.  What if they hadn't been able to trade for Gordon?  I don't understand the lack of creativity.  This is what would have happened all year. 

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

McDaniels is an idiot apparently because I saw zero adjustments.  Get some rub routes.  Put him in motion.  Line him up outside.  Hell pull a GB and put him in the backfield.  I didn't see much from his route tree and there didn't seem to be anything to get him loose, just "see what the D does" type mentality.  If he is your only weapon you get to him and find ways to get him involved, not let him get taken away and target the clown show at WR until Gordon gets on the field.

This was from week 1, they have to have known he was going to be double covered. 

CatchNoCatch2.gif

GronkTD1.gif

Instead he would rather throw up balls to Dorsett in double coverage.  What if they hadn't been able to trade for Gordon?  I don't understand the lack of creativity.  This is what would have happened all year. 

Brady looked bad last night. 

Oddly Gronk has only been double teamed on 27 percent of his routes this year.  

Rob Gronkowski (ankle) is questionable for Week 4 against the Dolphins.

7 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Rob Gronkowski (ankle) is questionable for Week 4 against the Dolphins.

Not too worried about him missing Sunday, but I have a feeling he won't be playing against the Colts on Thursday next week so he can get a full two weeks off to heal up.

This guy is done. Praying he has another good game so I can sell for something of value.

57 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

This guy is done. Praying he has another good game so I can sell for something of value.

That seems like an extreme take? Don't get me wrong I've been disappointed this year but he's been double teamed plenty because of lack of WR threats and now he's banged up again (which is the price of admission when you draft this guy in the first place). 

28 minutes ago, timbrah_ho said:

That seems like an extreme take? Don't get me wrong I've been disappointed this year but he's been double teamed plenty because of lack of WR threats and now he's banged up again (which is the price of admission when you draft this guy in the first place). 

He’s just a lumbering big body these days. He doesn’t possess the physical attributes anymore that made him who he was.

Edited by MJJ28

35 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

He’s just a lumbering big body these days. He doesn’t possess the physical attributes anymore that made him who he was.

Lmao guess you didn’t see him drag 5 dolphins to take him down on one of his catches. The guy is simply still a beast. I want you to come back to this comment when Edelman is back and Gordon gets situated in the next couple weeks. He’s going to be a monster 

• Thanks 1

I was dumb and did not plan for the time when gronk was gonna miss a game. I knew it was coming but the denial was strong.....

Something is off with this offense this season. Edelman wasn't around last season and Gronk still ate. I don't think Edelman coming back makes much of a difference. Gronk and Brady need to get their connection going.