NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

Did he re-aggravate the ankle injury or did they just take him out since it was a blow out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Did he re-aggravate the ankle injury or did they just take him out since it was a blow out?

 

He limped off the field. Wouldn't expect him TNF for sure. If we're lucky we'll get him back the following Sunday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every gronk owner needs to grab a backup TE and roster them the entire season.  This ankle issue could linger.

 

It would be miracle if he plays on Thursday.  I think they give him 10 days rest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Every gronk owner needs to grab a backup TE and roster them the entire season.  This ankle issue could linger.

 

It would be miracle if he plays on Thursday.  I think they give him 10 days rest.

 

Thanks doc. Appreciate the assessment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Maroney's Bolgna said:

 

Thanks doc. Appreciate the assessment!

thanks for the comment.  im actually a doctor.  appreciate your praise.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

thanks for the comment.  im actually a doctor.  appreciate your praise.

 

Oh really??? See I'm a cattle rancher which means I can smell bulls*t ... 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems like a solid buy low candidate.  as a non-owner, curious if those that own him are looking to sell or is it generally believed he will turn things around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, herschel said:

seems like a solid buy low candidate.  as a non-owner, curious if those that own him are looking to sell or is it generally believed he will turn things around.

 

Due to the price paid, very hard to sell him.  1st week was great and then it has been an episode in frustration and until the injury, it wasn't on him.   I've had offers for him but it has all been awful, stuff like McCoy, Gordon, or Drake, never anything I'd sink my teeth into and seriously contemplate.

 

Another example

 

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=6443

 

Gronk up to this season he has played in 102 games, started 89 games. (Does NOT INCLUDE this year)  127 red zone targets in that span, an average of 1.25 per game for his career, and if you only use the games started (avg), it jumps to 1.43 per game.

 

Gronk this season in 4 games, has 1 RZ target.

 

His targets last year per game were 7.5 per game, this season 6. 

 

The usage has been baffling.  Brady willingness to chuck it up to guys like Dorsett, in multiple coverage, and at least watching casually watching, seems to be where all of Brady's INT's go to is also confusing.  Throw it to a size mismatch or a smurf WR?  Brady seems to be picking the smurf this year aside from game 1.  In that game he targeted Gronk in double coverage and Gronk came up big.

 

 

 

 

 

CatchNoCatch2.gif

 

 

 

 

GronkTD1.gif

 

Edited by Sternes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please take the 10 days Gronk.

(Yes, I'm playing him this week) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

Due to the price paid, very hard to sell him.  1st week was great and then it has been an episode in frustration and until the injury, it wasn't on him.   I've had offers for him but it has all been awful, stuff like McCoy, Gordon, or Drake, never anything I'd sink my teeth into and seriously contemplate.

 

Another example

 

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=6443

 

Gronk up to this season he has played in 102 games, started 89 games. (Does NOT INCLUDE this year)  127 red zone targets in that span, an average of 1.25 per game for his career, and if you only use the games started (avg), it jumps to 1.43 per game.

 

Gronk this season in 4 games, has 1 RZ target.

 

His targets last year per game were 7.5 per game, this season 6. 

 

The usage has been baffling.  Brady willingness to chuck it up to guys like Dorsett, in multiple coverage, and at least watching casually watching, seems to be where all of Brady's INT's go to is also confusing.  Throw it to a size mismatch or a smurf WR?  Brady seems to be picking the smurf this year.

 

 

it's because they have 4 guys on Gronk,  just not possible to throw to him.  with Edelman coming back and Gordon working his way in,  the targets should open up again for him.

 

now to the more concerning issue, with a short week his availability is in serious jeopardy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

it's because they have 4 guys on Gronk,  just not possible to throw to him.  with Edelman coming back and Gordon working his way in,  the targets should open up again for him.

 

now to the more concerning issue, with a short week his availability is in serious jeopardy.

 

That isn't true.  They are unwilling to force it to him, but Brady is content forcing it to Dorsett.  Pats are content letting Gronk get shutdown and relying on the crapfest of a WR core for some reason.  Who is this wide open by the sticks, and who is it Brady is targeting on the INT?

 

eZvXEfx.jpg

 

They could line him up more at WR, line him up in backfield to get a clean release, get some rub routes with other WR.  Heck, Patterson should pretty much live on doing that. 

Edited by Sternes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sternes said:

 

That isn't true.  They are unwilling to force it to him, but Brady is content forcing it to Dorsett.  Pats are content letting Gronk get shutdown and relying on the crapfest of a WR core for some reason.  Who is this wide open by the sticks, and who is it Brady is targeting on the INT?

 

eZvXEfx.jpg

 

 

could simply be Brady didn't see Gronk for whatever reason, maybe the play isn't designed for Gronk?  i don't have the answers and i'm not going to presume i know everything going on,   the field of vision for a QB is quite small.  it is pretty easy to pick apart a play from a still frame from birds eye view and show someone open

 

and this was one play, there have been plenty of other plays  that have multiple defenders by Gronk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

 

could simply be Brady didn't see Gronk for whatever reason, maybe the play isn't designed for Gronk?  i don't have the answers and i'm not going to presume i know everything going on,   the field of vision for a QB is quite small.  it is pretty easy to pick apart a play from a still frame from birds eye view and show someone open

 

and this was one play, there have been plenty of other plays  that have multiple defenders by Gronk.

 

I've watched all of their games, and there is a very casual attitude of, "meh Gronk is covered, let's go to the scrubs".  Brady also seems to look past him on a lot of short passes to more dangerous balls.  Chucking it to Dorsett has led to at least 3 INT off the top of my head.  The targeting in the Lions game was probably the most head scratching choices I've seen.

 

Again, these are NFL coaches.  If they are trying to counter my best weapon, I need to find a way to get him loose. It isn't like he is new to the league.  Other teams have schemed before.  Who the heck has Philly had catching the ball this season at WR? Yet, Ertz is still getting the ball magically.  If you had told me at the beginning of the season Ertz would be out-targeting Gronk through a month, I would have laughed.  Ertz has 4 games of 10+ targets.  Gronk has 0.  Ertz has 7 RZ targets, Gronk has 1.  Ertz has 47 targets, Gronk has 30.

 

 

Edited by Sternes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

I've watched all of their games, and there is a very casual attitude of, "meh Gronk is covered, let's go to the scrubs".  Brady also seems to look past him on a lot of short passes to more dangerous balls.  Chucking it to Dorsett has led to at least 3 INT off the top of my head.  The targeting in the Lions game was probably the most head scratching choices I've seen.

 

Again, these are NFL coaches.  If they are trying to counter my best weapon, I need to find a way to get him loose. It isn't like he is new to the league.  Other teams have schemed before.  Who the heck has Philly had catching the ball this season at WR? Yet, Ertz is still getting the ball magically.  If you had told me at the beginning of the season Ertz would be out-targeting Gronk through a month, I would have laughed.  Ertz has 4 games of 10+ targets.  Gronk has 0.  Ertz has 7 RZ targets, Gronk has 1.  Ertz has 47 targets, Gronk has 30.

 

 

 

pretty safe to say that PHI had a better WR corps than NE did to start the season, or at least an offense scheme that could better use the personnel

 

or maybe it is just time to come to grips that the Brady we all knew is gone and he is falling fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Panthor said:

 

pretty safe to say that PHI had a better WR corps than NE did to start the season, or at least an offense scheme that could better use the personnel

 

or maybe it is just time to come to grips that the Brady we all knew is gone and he is falling fast.

 

Aglohor, Wallace, and Aiken isn't exactly a highly rated bunch.  I'd take Hogan, Dorsett, and Patterson going into the season over them.  Seeing them play, I'd say both groups are pretty much trash.

 

Jeffrey back gives them a boost, but that only happened last week.  Pats got Gordon, which keeps it pretty equal.

 

Your second sentence might be the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

pretty safe to say that PHI had a better WR corps than NE did to start the season, or at least an offense scheme that could better use the personnel

 

or maybe it is just time to come to grips that the Brady we all knew is gone and he is falling fast.

Yes I believe some of this is due to a slight decline in Brady's accuracy.  I believe he's 1 of 14 on throws 20 yards or more for the season.  I believe that is hurting Hogan and Gronk's value more than anyone else's.  I believe most of Dorsett's catches  have been in the intermediate range.

Edited by JetsAwesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So reports are the Pats aren't worried about it and they expect him to give it a go, but he's MIA the last 2 days. Today was a walkthrough so maybe he's just getting treatment and planning to go but right now I'm mentally preparing myself to go TE dumpster diving this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im actually hoping he is out so i dont get a damn gooses egg when he inevitably leaves the game early. 

Edited by noles1983
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, noles1983 said:

Im actually hoping he is out so i dont get a damn gooses egg when he inevitably leaves the game early. 

 

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 10:17 AM, JetsAwesome said:

thanks for the comment.  im actually a doctor.  appreciate your praise.

I havee C.Diff. wat do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if he plays, I don’t see a full compliment of snaps since they will most likely blow out the Colts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.