NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Better than I expected him to do this week. Looking forward to him getting healthy over the next 10 days in time for KC. 

I do have to say, I’m pretty disappointed with Gronk this year as a whole so far. I didn’t draft Gronk early for 1 TD in 5 weeks with 3/5 games being duds. He’s drafted early with the idea that he gives a big advantage at TE and he hasn’t done that. Hopefully he goes on a tear but it does seem like TB is spreading it around a lot this year.

32 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

Better than I expected him to do this week. Looking forward to him getting healthy over the next 10 days in time for KC. 

I do have to say, I’m pretty disappointed with Gronk this year as a whole so far. I didn’t draft Gronk early for 1 TD in 5 weeks with 3/5 games being duds. He’s drafted early with the idea that he gives a big advantage at TE and he hasn’t done that. Hopefully he goes on a tear but it does seem like TB is spreading it around a lot this year.

I've traded for him just before the game for kerryon, reed. Spreading the ball is the best way to fix Gronk's slump. He was the only real target before this game. With Edelman looking good and Josh Gordon improving you should stop seeing those constant double teams. He is still the no 1 receiver and now has time to rest his ankle and expect to see more games like week 1 and 5.

• Like 1

It seemed like Gronk was open FREQUENTLY last night. Saw quite a few plays where he threw a quick block and rolled out into the flat and was standing there all by himself waving for the ball.

I had Gronk going against Ebron last night, fun times.  The free agent TE pickup, dominating the guy I spent 20 percent of my auction budget on.

• Haha 2

He’s not 100%. Got pulled from the game week 4. That kind of thing usually doesn’t heal in 4 days. Good thing is he has more time to rest up before week 6. This offense is starting to roll, be glad you have a big part of it. 

He looked like he was in pain constantly. I think Brady was staying away from him most of the night because he wanted to let him heal up. 

Honestly he did a little better than i expected. Was hoping for a TD, but at least got me some points. Really hoping after he rests up and Gordon/Edelman get more involved he will blow up. We shall see though...

34 minutes ago, jccouger said:

He looked like he was in pain constantly. I think Brady was staying away from him most of the night because he wanted to let him heal up. 

I doubt Brady was going through his progressions and saw Gronk open and was like, Nah I'll let the big guy rest. He's just getting double teamed a lot. And he looks slower, clearly not close to 100%. The problem is I don't think he'll get right this year, or ever. I'm sure health was a big reason he is considering retirement. Definitely regretting spending a 2nd round pick on him

Been somewhat of a frustrating start but the Pats always start slow and they are just now getting all their weapons back. Better days ahead.

2 minutes ago, Silkk1211 said:

Been somewhat of a frustrating start but the Pats always start slow and they are just now getting all their weapons back. Better days ahead.

This.

Be patient and make the playoffs. Then guys who have started slow like Gronk, Brown, David Johnson win you titles.  Don't panic.

15 minutes ago, noles1983 said:

Gronk is allergic to TD's, a bust this year. 

It sucks when you play in one of those 5 week fantasy leageus. Good luck next year

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, wideopen21 said:

It sucks when you play in one of those 5 week fantasy leageus. Good luck next year

What will be your excuse at the 10-week mark when he has the same mediocre production?

Taking Gronk always turns out to be the biggest gamble of the draft for his ADP. The monumental concerns that come from his position and his health have him as a DND for me every year. 

Tightend is just not a position I want to allocate high risk towards. 

He will straighten up once his body feels better, but until then, and on this offense which has a ridiculous amount of receiving targets, he will have some more bum games. 

Time to panic he had 6 catches and nearly 100 yards omg ! ( while playing injured ) 

Edited by Zak0221
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, noles1983 said:

What will be your excuse at the 10-week mark when he has the same mediocre production?

Since we are playing the "I'm going to assume I'm right" question game: What will  you say when he puts up monster numbers next week after getting extra days to rest after a Thursday night game? 

• Like 2

The whole point of drafting Gronk is knowing that the only time he will ever frustrate you is with a 6 catch 75 yard performance. Other TE options weekly floors aren't so attractive. 

He's a stud (if healthy) and you'd be silly to sell him at any point unless the price is right

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Griffin_Morrow said:

The whole point of drafting Gronk is knowing that the only time he will ever frustrate you is with a 6 catch 75 yard performance. Other TE options weekly floors aren't so attractive. 

He's a stud (if healthy) and you'd be silly to sell him at any point unless the price is right

That is the point of drafting gronk but isn’t what we’ve gotten this year and thus far he for sure has not been worth his draft cost. He’s had one good week, three bad weeks, one okay week.

in standard his point totals are 17.3, 1.5, 5.1, 4.4, 7.5.

I quickly looked back at his fantasy game logs since 2013 and in games he’s played he’s never had such a pedestrian four game stretch as he’s had now. He had occasional 3 point games but they’re sandwiched between 22 point games.

Edited by bangarrang

1 minute ago, bangarrang said:

That is the point of drafting gronk but isn’t what we’ve gotten this year and thus far he for sure has not been worth his draft cost. He’s had one good week, three bad weeks, one okay week.

in standard his point totals are 17.3, 1.5, 5.1, 4.4, 7.5.

I quickly looked back at his fantasy game logs since 2013 and in games he’s played he’s never had such a pedestrian four game stretch as he’s had now. He had occasional 3 point games but they’re sandwiched between 22 point games.

Gronk has never had a 75 yard floor lol

He has plenty of 3-45 type games but he's a TD machine compared to other TE ( in general) and the reason hes so touted is because he is actually targeted in the regular passing game unlike most of the other TE wasteland people.  Yes, there's around 4-5 TEs this year that cost nothing and are out performing Gronk this moment, that happens every year, you just never know which dart throws it happens with.  That's why Kelce Gronk Ertz are so dang expensive bc you already know how they are going to be involved and they have the highest TE ceiling in the league.  

If you didnt draft Gronk ( or Ertz or Kelce ), didnt strike gold with a dart throw such as Cook, Kittle or Ebron then your TE position is basically a 5 pt floor with 10 pt upside ALL season. 

3 hours ago, ponchsox said:

Would you guys rather havel Gronk or Jared Cook right now?

I have both, and I'm growing tired of Cook blowing up on my bench...

43 minutes ago, euphonicjamz said:

I have both, and I'm growing tired of Cook blowing up on my bench...

Then trade one. You will get value for either one.

#1 rule when owning Gronk - you only roster 1 TE.  That is why I have Gronk in a keeper league so I can roster lottery tickets and not have to guess each week at TE.  This is a long season and I'm fine being patient with Gronk.  He played and did OK, better than last week and it was a short week.  Now he gets to rest. Edleman is back and Gordon is a threat.  

If he stays healthy his outlook is great ROS.  Stay patient. If not trade Gronk.  I guarantee someone in your league will be glad to take him.

A lot of panic for nothing. Aaron Rodgers has this to say:

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Big Nate

1 hour ago, Zak0221 said:

If you didnt draft Gronk ( or Ertz or Kelce ), didnt strike gold with a dart throw such as Cook, Kittle or Ebron then your TE position is basically a 5 pt floor with 10 pt upside ALL season. 

Maybe you are talking about PPR. But the floor of random TE's is usually 0-1 in standard. Absolute garbage. I decided to switch Kittle for Gronk at the last minute last night and Gronk at least didn't fall on his face again. But Kittle has blown up or outscored Gronk on my bench weeks 2-4.

My main concern with Gronk is the lack of RZ targets. He has 1 now through 5 games. None last night to my knowledge. His only TD was scored outside the RZ. You draft Gronk for the TD upside. We aren't getting that this season. Watching Belichick consistently run the ball inside the 5 instead of throwing to Gronk in an obvious mismatch against a depleted Colts defense last night really hurt. They didn't even attempt once to Gronk.