NYR Fan 116894

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Just now, Godfather131 said:

He has always been doubled it he red zone...

And actually if you look up the numbers, he is generally getting more separation this year than he did last year...

Please show us the numbers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I said that...

My mistake, I misread what you wrote.

I don't think he's just not getting the separation though. I think he's always been doubled and covered, but in the past Brady threw it anyway and let him make the play. This year it seems like they are trying to avoid Gronk being in those situations and using him less. I have a feeling he is running less routes but I can't find those numbers anywhere to prove it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

My mistake, I misread what you wrote.

I don't think he's just not getting the separation though. I think he's always been doubled and covered, but in the past Brady threw it anyway and let him make the play. This year it seems like they are trying to avoid Gronk being in those situations and using him less. I have a feeling he is running less routes but I can't find those numbers anywhere to prove it.

I can buy that.

Gronk is defiantly not washed, he looks good when blocking and receiving. This was an off game for the number of targets with some bad throws, but in general he just needs more targets especially near the red zone. He should average at least 1 red zone look a game and is averaging two to four targets less a game than Kelce and Ertz. I do think he is blocking more than normal.

2 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

Man the one year I pay up for this guy and he's killing me. He look sluggish and Brady is content with dumpoffs most games.

Same here.  Got him in the early 3rd in two leagues and I prefer starting OJ Howard & Njoku right now.  Ugh.  I mean, we're in week 9 now... I'm just holding out hope that he gets "more" healthy and maybe Brady will start targeting him more.   You can't really trade him unless someone is really desperate and you probably won't get much.    

He gets hurt every year almost. I haven't watched many Pats games so I can't say for sure, but they may just be limiting him in a division they know they'll win. Save him for the playoffs so he's healthy then. He's been injury prone throughout his career and is anrother year older. Pure speculation on my part, but it makes sense. 

42 minutes ago, thejosef said:

Same here.  Got him in the early 3rd in two leagues and I prefer starting OJ Howard & Njoku right now.  Ugh.  I mean, we're in week 9 now... I'm just holding out hope that he gets "more" healthy and maybe Brady will start targeting him more.   You can't really trade him unless someone is really desperate and you probably won't get much.    

I'm in a keeper league and will try and sell him for a 4th if I lose next week.

What’s a fair trade for this guy? A WR2 like Jeffery? An RB2? Will this guy even return value in a trade...having a hard time gauging his worth this year.

We've never seen him be so inefficient.

I managed to trade FOR him, giving up Devin Funchess and (then suspended) Aaron Jones. I would say his value is a lot lower than when I acquired him, though... I thought I had a real winner on my hands (at the time).

Edited by nlm

42 minutes ago, nlm said:

I managed to trade FOR him, giving up Devin Funchess and (then suspended) Aaron Jones. I would say his value is a lot lower than when I acquired him, though... I thought I had a real winner on my hands (at the time).

Yeah, i think the chance of getting a nice haul for Gronk based on name value alone is pretty done now. I had him in both leagues i play in and packaged him in multi player deals a couple of weeks ago. I don't think i'd be able to pull off the trades i made now since he's fallen off a cliff and his ROS outlook seems pretty bleek.  

At this point, if you could get Cook or Doyle for him straight up, i'd probably do it. 

Edited by Helmholtz_Watsonn

I just picked up Gronk off a angered owner for Chris Carson (desperate need of RB and others werent offering theirs up).

ROS schedule doesnt look great, but obv I wanted to take the chance on him.

2 hours ago, tpat30 said:

What’s a fair trade for this guy? A WR2 like Jeffery? An RB2? Will this guy even return value in a trade...having a hard time gauging his worth this year.

We've never seen him be so inefficient.

The inefficiency I saw last night was on Brady not Gronk. 

Two balls were thrown in his breadbasket...he caught them. Made a ridiculous juggling catch on the sideline. I remember two other deep throws where they were not catchable and then the one lob over the middle that was tipped by Edmunds.

He can't throw himself the ball.

Probably the biggest buy low window ever for Gronk. He has incentives in his contract and he's WAY behind. I've got to think some positive regression is coming here in short order. Unless you believe he's done.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

The inefficiency I saw last night was on Brady not Gronk. 

Exactly.  Brady looked like would have fit in on Buffalo last night.  He was shocking.

• Thanks 1

Targets were there last night, just didnt happen..

I managed to trade him . Gronk and Cooks for Julio and Rudolph... ( I have george Kittle so Rudolph is more of a bye week filler)

2 hours ago, Helmholtz_Watsonn said:

Yeah, i think the chance of getting a nice haul for Gronk based on name value alone is pretty done now. I had him in both leagues i play in and packaged him in multi player deals a couple of weeks ago. I don't think i'd be able to pull off the trades i made now since he's fallen off a cliff and his ROS outlook seems pretty bleek.  

At this point, if you could get Cook or Doyle for him straight up, i'd probably do it. 

6 hours ago, Dez Bryants Mama said:

dropped him

You're both absolutely insane.  Even if he continues at this disappointing pace he's still the TE8 plus he has the obvious upside of being TE1 ROS.

• Thanks 1

Could the incentives be working to his detriment?  That's kind of a complicated set of factors, but the Pats tried to get rid of Gronk to the Lions this offseason, then they put a bunch of incentives in his contract but they don't throw him the ball much any more...

17 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Could the incentives be working to his detriment?  That's kind of a complicated set of factors, but the Pats tried to get rid of Gronk to the Lions this offseason, then they put a bunch of incentives in his contract but they don't throw him the ball much any more...

This is what I brought up earlier, anyone know what exactly his contract looks like in terms of those incentives are this year?

I think he gets bonuses for yards, catches, and touchdowns.  And games played.  He should have done team wins instead.

3 hours ago, Heizz said:

I just picked up Gronk off a angered owner for Chris Carson (desperate need of RB and others werent offering theirs up).

ROS schedule doesnt look great, but obv I wanted to take the chance on him.

Carson owner robbed you. I’m assuming you had tons of depth. Gronkowski has been worthless this season