jfazz23

Justus Sheffield - SP NYY

On 11/19/2018 at 5:41 PM, heyeaglefn said:

Rumor is he has been sent to Seattle in the Paxton deal.

he was.  might actually be good for him.  might get some work in the bigs this year.  also better park to pitch in

• Like 1

Curious what everyone thinks...any shot at starting the year in the bigs and getting a true shot or do we think he will be at AAA for another season?

Just picked him up, dropped my speculative RP. I think he is starting to warrant a lot more discussion, as I have seen practically none.

Per ESPN today 3/8

Sheffield fired 3.2 scoreless innings in an afternoon intrasquad game Thursday during which he faced Dee Gordon, Mitch Haniger (back), Edwin Encarnacion and Ichiro Suzuki, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports.

Spin: The promising prospect certainly faced a formidable test in the form of a quartet of hitters with a combined 16 All-Star appearances between them, and he came through with flying colors. Sheffield allowed just two hits and rang up six strikeouts, with five of them coming within the first eight batters he faced. The 22-year-old received rave reviews for his performance from Haniger, who heaped praise on Sheffield's fastball command, changeup and slider. A key piece of the James Paxton trade last November, Sheffield was already impressing prior to Thursday, as he's fired four scoreless inning in spring play while allowing just one hit and recording six strikeouts.
  • Like 1

When will they announce if he is in the starting rotation or sent to AAA?

I know to temper expectations with Spring Traing stats and results but its looks promising for him to be a starter. 

48 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

When will they announce if he is in the starting rotation or sent to AAA?

I know to temper expectations with Spring Traing stats and results but its looks promising for him to be a starter. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. It sounds like he has a really good shot to crack the rotation. I asked Nick Pollack of Pitcherlist his thoughts on Sheffield two days ago and he replied this:

Hey there!

I’m a fan entering the year, especially with his polished changeup. Only question is when he gets his shot with the Mariners, but I could see it happening around the end of April after his service time extends him another year.

• Thanks 2