Sign in to follow this  
Magoo

Archie Bradley 2018 Outlook

His role appears very up in the air from everything I've seen.  If he closes, he's arguably top 10 with his peripherals.  At this point would you rather draft him in the middle rounds or Hirano at the end of the draft?  

I'd draft him and expect him to win the role. Actually I hope he comes into the season with his role up in the air because that should cheapen his draft price. The guy is a stud in his new middle relief role. At worse he gives you Andrew Miller value. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 6:21 PM, Cdub2k said:

I'd draft him and expect him to win the role. Actually I hope he comes into the season with his role up in the air because that should cheapen his draft price. The guy is a stud in his new middle relief role. At worse he gives you Andrew Miller value. 

Ask and you shall receive

"I don't know that we'll walk into Spring Training with a declared closer," Hazen said. "We'll probably save that for walking out of Spring Training. I think we have an opportunity to take a look and see what roles best fit everybody."

https://www.mlb.com/news/d-backs-enter-camp-aiming-to-fill-closer-role/c-266005776

• Like 1

I love this guy's skills but I remember his role (or lack thereof) being a real obstacle in owning him last year. My gut tells me he'll start the year in the super relief role and, therefore, on my waiver wire. But if he ever gets put into the closer role or the rotation I'll pull a hammy running to the computer to pick him up.

43 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I love this guy's skills but I remember his role (or lack thereof) being a real obstacle in owning him last year. My gut tells me he'll start the year in the super relief role and, therefore, on my waiver wire. But if he ever gets put into the closer role or the rotation I'll pull a hammy running to the computer to pick him up.

The Fernando Rodney show was in town. Archie couldn't overtake the cap. 

Looks like a toss up between Box and Bradley. I went with Bradley late in a draft last night, Think he's got great potential here if he can lock down the position...

Per Closer Monkey - as of March 22nd

Arizona Diamondbacks — The closer competition in Arizona seems to be down to two men: Archie Bradley and Brad Boxberger. While at least one beat writer is leaning toward Box, Torey Lovullo has had kind words for all his relievers, and no one seems particularly concerned about his role going forward. We’ll flip Boxberger and Bradley at the head of the committee to reflect our current feeling about which way the race is going to go, but watch for an official announcement before too long.

Updated hierarchy: *Boxberger | Bradley | Hirano.

• Like 1

If Box can be effective in the 9th, then that leaves Lovullo a lot more flexibility with Bradley.  He can bring him in at any point to face the toughest parts of the batting order, pitch him 2 innings, etc.  Seems like that would make the most sense.

• Like 1

Yep, took him late last night. So as Floyd from dumb and dumber say's "..so your telling me there's a chance..."

52 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

Yep, took him late last night. So as Floyd from dumb and dumber say's "..so your telling me there's a chance..."

*Lloyd

i think I’m gonna avoid this situation though, Bradley seems to be drafted too high even with this uncertainty 

38 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

*Lloyd

i think I’m gonna avoid this situation though, Bradley seems to be drafted too high even with this uncertainty 

Average ADP of 187.  Right in the range of guys who are uncertain to have a job (Greg Holland), or otherwise rather "meh" options (Treinen, Herrera, Brach).

If I'm feeling comfortable with saves by that point, I may just take Bradley and his ratios, whether he closes games or not.

He's started off the year on a strong note, even though he didn't win the closer role. Still, is he worth a roster spot at this point? Holds are nice, but saves are even more important, especially in my points league. 

After just 1/3 of an inning last night, I was hoping he was going to get to stay in for the 9th atleast. But nope.

I know this might just be fantasy thinking, or even my own opinion alone. But I really wish they would have continued the starter possibility with Archie. I understand how dominate he has been in his current role, and how valuable that is to a contending team. I saw some real progress as a starter before he had that comebacker drill him in the face. He mixed in a couple 7 inning 10+ k games in that season. He is still only 25 years old and would be a real nice mix in that rotation with the lefties Ray & Corbin. Power right arm to mix with staff leader Grienke. 

I just think they either gave up on him as a starter too quickly, or they just convinced themselves once he was dominant in the pen, that is where he needed to stay. I know it's not a foregone conclusion that he stays in the pen. But it is extremely unlikely to me at this point.  

where did the K's go from Bradley? his last 6.2 IP he only has 1 K. just a small sample size that doesn't mean anything?

42 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

where did the K's go from Bradley? his last 6.2 IP he only has 1 K. just a small sample size that doesn't mean anything?

I watch pretty much every Dbacks game, and to me it seems like he's not throwing as hard.  Lots of 95-96, and last year it was 98-99.  Just my .02.