Sign in to follow this  
Iron-cock

New York Jets 2018 Season Outlook

Significant Draft Picks: 6, 37, 49 (From Seattle), 103

Cap space:  72M

Cap space after likely cuts (Wilkerson, Skrine): 88M 

2017 Record: 5-11 

The Jets entered the offseason looking for a new offensive coordinator and quarterback.   Although he's not under contract, Josh McCown may be interested in playing for the Jets again next year.  The Jets filled the offensive coordinator position with Jeremy Bates who was the Jets QB coach last season.   

The most speculation around the team centers around if the Jets will pick a QB at #6 in the draft.  With three QB needy teams ahead of them possessing 4 picks, it's possible the top 3 QBs could be off the board by #6.  At the same time, many of these teams might skip drafting a QB if they feel ok with their situation or they address their needs in free agency.   Local beat reporters seem to be focused on Baker Mayfield as the potential pick, or Josh Rosen if his slips to #6.

Before the draft, the Jets will have a chance to use their considerable cap space to address the quarterback position.  A viable FA might allow them to draft another position at #6

ZwVhUDT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Significant Draft Picks: 6, 37, 49 (From Seattle), 103

Cap space:  72M

Cap space after likely cuts (Wilkerson, Skrine): 88M 

2017 Record: 5-11 

The Jets entered the offseason looking for a new offensive coordinator and quarterback.   Although he's not under contract, Josh McCown may be interested in playing for the Jets again next year.  The Jets filled the offensive coordinator position with Jeremy Bates who was the Jets QB coach last season.   

The most speculation around the team centers around if the Jets will pick a QB at #6 in the draft.  With three QB needy teams ahead of them possessing 4 picks, it's possible the top 3 QBs could be off the board by #6.  At the same time, many of these teams might skip drafting a QB if they feel ok with their situation or they address their needs in free agency.   Local beat reporters seem to be focused on Baker Mayfield as the potential pick, or Josh Rosen if his slips to #6.

Before the draft, the Jets will have a chance to use their considerable cap space to address the quarterback position.  A viable FA might allow them to draft another position at #6

ZwVhUDT.jpg

If nyj can get Cousins I'd advise them to do so.   Get some longterm stability at that position.  They have the cap space, no reason not to. 

It'll be difficult to access exactly what they should do with the pick until we see if they make this play first.

Lots of other holes, OL (RG, C if Johnson leaves), edge, 3-4 DE to replace Wilkerson, multiple CBS.  Some would say RB but I'd ride McGuire and Powell for a year unless some great value fell.

I'm going to assume they are going to resign Enunwa and ASJ.

FWIW I'm a fan of both Darnold and Rosen and think they can both be top 10 NFL qbs in time. 

I'm a Jets fan, so I'm conditioned to expect the worst with them. Meaning that rather than signing Cousins or drafting a QB at #6, they'll somehow end up with Geno Smith at QB again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They should have more wins than the Giants again, right-!?

37 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Probably not, but it depends what they do in the offseason.  They have a lot of cash and some decent draft picks.   With that kind of ammo they should be able to turn things around.

I don't want Darnold and with JimmyG setting the bar as far as salary goes, Cousins may be a little too rich for my blood. Either way, the jets will figure out a way to mess things up. We'll prob end up with the scraps or someone we're not that high on at pick 6 for QB, so unless we plan to move up somehow (don't really see it happening with all the QB needy teams). I wonder if it's just better to pick BAP at 6, bring McCown back and beef up everything else on the roster through FA and the draft. Then hope next year we can find someone we really want. 

I'd like to see us go after a couple of these WRs at least. 

Arob

Lee

Landry (maybe)

Richardson

Jordan Matthews (but gotta teach him how to catch better)

Moncrief (maybe)

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

No.

46 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

I don't want Darnold and with JimmyG setting the bar as far as salary goes, Cousins may be a little too rich for my blood. Either way, the jets will figure out a way to mess things up. We'll prob end up with the scraps or someone we're not that high on at pick 6 for QB, so unless we plan to move up somehow (don't really see it happening with all the QB needy teams). I wonder if it's just better to pick BAP at 6, bring McCown back and beef up everything else on the roster through FA and the draft. Then hope next year we can find someone we really want. 

I'd like to see us go after a couple of these WRs at least. 

Arob

Lee

Landry (maybe)

Richardson

Jordan Matthews (but gotta teach him how to catch better)

Moncrief (maybe)

I like this idea of riding McCown for one more year and taking a QB at 6 to sit and learn for at least 6-10 games depending on progression in practice during the season. This would allow the Jets to use a lot of that cap space to beef up that WR/TE, OL and DL corp for a 2019 run.

Then again, talk radio wouldn't be the same with common sense moves like that from the Jets. I root for the entertainment :)

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

No.

I like this idea of riding McCown for one more year and taking a QB at 6 to sit and learn for at least 6-10 games depending on progression in practice dyrung the season. This would allow the Jets to use a lot of that cap space to beef up that WR/TE, OL and DL corp for a 2019 run.

Then again, talk radio wouldn't be the same with common sense moves like that from the Jets. I root for the entertainment :)

Yeah, I'm not sure who I even like at 6 and who knows who will be there. I think we can really set ourselves up nicely for this year and next if we fill all the other holes and ride McCown and whoever we take at 6. They can't even get Hack on the field for crying out loud. They need to make a decision on him and just cut bait. Hold onto Petty I guess for backup and have a rookie learn the ropes under McCown. Let other teams break the bank on Cousins and Foles, especially since McCown said he'd like to come back. It may not be the flashiest move, but I think it's the wisest and will pay dividends down the line. We're not really in "win now" mode so why blow our entire load on a QB when we have other glaring needs that if we fill, will only help whoever becomes our QB in the future.  This is how the Jets should play it honestly but you just never know with this team.

• Like 1

The New York Post's Brian Costello was told the Jets could offer Kirk Cousins $60 million in the first year of his contract.

New York is reportedly "willing to pay whatever it takes" to land Cousins, so this does not come as a surprise. It also makes some sense for the Jets, who have the cap space to both front-load the contract and make moves to improve the rest of the roster. The Broncos, Vikings, and Cardinals are also teams to watch in the Cousins sweepstakes.

Jets May Fully Guarantee a Long Term Deal for Cousins.

With Cousins rocketing toward the open market (efforts by his current team to conjure up a way to trade him notwithstanding), the question becomes whether the next contract he signs will be fully guaranteed, for the full duration of its four, five, or six years.

One team already is being pegged in league circles as having the willingness to do it: The Jets. If the Jets will do it, other suitors for Cousins may have no choice but to follow suit.

Teams typically resist fully-guaranteeing more than the first two years of a contract at signing, because outdated rules require the guarantee to be funded at signing. It’s a protection that was put in place to benefit players at a time when there were concerns about the ability of teams to make ends meet.

Three years ago, the Dolphins fully guaranteed the first three years of Ndamukong Suh‘s contract. That same year, the Jets signed Darrelle Revis to a contract that contained fully-guaranteed salaries for 2015 and 2016, with $6 million of his 2017 salary fully guaranteed at signing.

So the Jets, at least once before, have departed from the standard reluctance to fully guarantee at signing more than two years of pay. Will they, or anyone else, do it into the fourth year or beyond with Cousins?

Bovada odds to sign Kirk Cousins:

New York Jets — 2/3

Denver Broncos — 7/4

Arizona Cardinals — 15/2

Buffalo Bills — 12/1

Jacksonville Jaguars — 12/1

Miami Dolphins — 20/1

New York Giants — 20/1

11 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

The New York Post's Brian Costello was told the Jets could offer Kirk Cousins $60 million in the first year of his contract.

New York is reportedly "willing to pay whatever it takes" to land Cousins, so this does not come as a surprise. It also makes some sense for the Jets, who have the cap space to both front-load the contract and make moves to improve the rest of the roster. The Broncos, Vikings, and Cardinals are also teams to watch in the Cousins sweepstakes.

Jets May Fully Guarantee a Long Term Deal for Cousins.

With Cousins rocketing toward the open market (efforts by his current team to conjure up a way to trade him notwithstanding), the question becomes whether the next contract he signs will be fully guaranteed, for the full duration of its four, five, or six years.

One team already is being pegged in league circles as having the willingness to do it: The Jets. If the Jets will do it, other suitors for Cousins may have no choice but to follow suit.

Teams typically resist fully-guaranteeing more than the first two years of a contract at signing, because outdated rules require the guarantee to be funded at signing. It’s a protection that was put in place to benefit players at a time when there were concerns about the ability of teams to make ends meet.

Three years ago, the Dolphins fully guaranteed the first three years of Ndamukong Suh‘s contract. That same year, the Jets signed Darrelle Revis to a contract that contained fully-guaranteed salaries for 2015 and 2016, with $6 million of his 2017 salary fully guaranteed at signing.

So the Jets, at least once before, have departed from the standard reluctance to fully guarantee at signing more than two years of pay. Will they, or anyone else, do it into the fourth year or beyond with Cousins?

The Jets will have 98m in cap room assuming forte, Wilkerson, ijalana are cut.  They'd still be able to get cousins plus other moves with that much space.  They have enough room to front load a Cousins deal and keep flexibility going forward.  Actually have enough to front load cousins plus 3 or 4 other free agents. 

They can guarantee 90m in 2018 alone with no problem cap wise -

5 year deal,  50m signing bonus, 30m 2018 base, 10m roster bonus.  That's 90m guaranteed with 50m cap number in 2018.  That would still leave the jets 50m of 2018 space to sign other FAs.

Start throwing in 30m bases that are guaranteed for 2019 and 2020 and you're at 150m guaranteed in years one to three of the deal.  With cap numbers of 40m.

53 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Bovada odds to sign Kirk Cousins:

New York Jets — 2/3

Denver Broncos — 7/4

Arizona Cardinals — 15/2

Buffalo Bills — 12/1

Jacksonville Jaguars — 12/1

Miami Dolphins — 20/1

New York Giants — 20/1

No odds listed for the Browns?