• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
nonstopfan

Dion Lewis 2018 Outlook

Although things can change as we go through free agency, it doesn't seem as if Dion Lewis will be returning to New England in 2018. This opens up a very interesting discussion regarding the value for Lewis for the upcoming season. While at times dominant, Lewis was criminally underutilized in the passing game as well as in the red zone in 2017. Lewis legitimately looked like a Top 10 back at times during 2017. If he is able to find a home in the right spot, away from a three back rotation that he experienced while in NE, Lewis could return some serious value in 2018. He checks the boxes in virtually every category at RB including, quickness, ability to break tackles, start and stop on a dime, patience and despite his small size, is able to move a pile forward and get those YAC.

Some notable stats for Lewis:

- Averaged 5 yards per carry in 2017 (3rd best in NFL amongst eligible RB's)

- 1680 all purpose yards in 2017 (6th in NFL)

- 32 catches on 35 targets (91% catch rate) in 2017

- Pats are 32-3 wit Lewis in Lineup; Pats are 13-7 when he has not suited up

- Set career highs in 2017 in carries (180), rushing yards, rushing TD's and receiving TD's

Latest Blurb:

Boston Herald's Jeff Howe reports the "early vibe" is Dion Lewis won't be on the Patriots in 2018.

Lewis is reportedly looking for a deal somewhere in the range of $15-18 million over the course of three years with $10 million guaranteed. The Patriots seem to draw the line for paying running backs at around $3 million annually, making Lewis an unlikely candidate to return. With Le'Veon Bell expected to remain with the Steelers, Lewis may be the best running back available in free-agency.
Feb 10 - 1:34 PM

I am not so sure Lewis will leave the Patriots.  This sounds like standard negotiating ploys coming from both sides.  But we'll see.  I believe in Lewis's talent, so if he leaves Foxborough and ends up anywhere half-way decent, I will probably try to get him onto my squad.

Elite rb1 on the right team ...especially in PPR. 

Patriots used Lewis as the 2 down rb and white on passing downs. Lewis can easily be a 3 down back on other teams. He can catch and is elusive as hell.  Reminds me of a shady 2.0

• Like 2

He's never stayed healthy any season of his career except his contract year.  Nope, I've never seen this story play out before...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

He's never stayed healthy any season of his career except his contract year.  Nope, I've never seen this story play out before...

his size bothers me some......5'8" 195 i believe he's listed at? does he become a guy that teams go after as a lead rb? not sure he can handle a full workload at that size....seems like that has been proven? rumors are that he'll be 8 mill a season.....no way imo? he's a compliment rb a committee guy that can split a 50/50 type a system. i think that senerio would work perfect for him, but that is too much$$$$$ to load out for that????? it will be interesting to see where he lands because he obviliosly has a ton of talent?????

• Like 1

The running back market is depressed because teams think they can put any old UDFA back there and hand them the ball 20 times and they can do just fine.  Perhaps the running game struggles of Seattle, Detroit, and Indy and others in 2017 will start to change that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not an nfl scout said:

his size bothers me some......5'8" 195 i believe he's listed at? does he become a guy that teams go after as a lead rb? not sure he can handle a full workload at that size....seems like that has been proven? rumors are that he'll be 8 mill a season.....no way imo? he's a compliment rb a committee guy that can split a 50/50 type a system. i think that senerio would work perfect for him, but that is too much$$$$$ to load out for that????? it will be interesting to see where he lands because he obviliosly has a ton of talent?????

That's a really good size for a RB actually and if you've seen before and after pictures of him. He's gotta be closer to 205 IMO. 

47 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

That's a really good size for a RB actually and if you've seen before and after pictures of him. He's gotta be closer to 205 IMO. 

yeah that can change ......rtsports and roto have him list at 195, but if you want a contract you can always hit the weight room to add a little size??? emmitt smith played at 5'9" 210 .....but by the time the season wore he said he was always down to about 205-200.....so i guess it can be done????? he's got speed, can catch, and very illusive as others have said, so i am a wait and see guy for the landing spot........DHC mentioned giants or colts......very interesting watch for sure.

There's a chance he could end up back in Philly. The Eagles may lose Blount, Smallwood and Sproles. He'd fit right into that 3 headed monster with Ajayi & Clement. I wouldn't be surprised if the price is right. 

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

The Steelers bail on Bell and pick up Lewis.

cant see it but ahhh who knows if bell wants insane money and holds out????? lewis is a former pitt player and he could fit well???? interesting for sure

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

It's not far fetched

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

It's not far fetched

they report that lewis wants 10 mill plus+ (tell me if i'm wrong)....what is bell looking for?

47 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

they report that lewis wants 10 mill plus+ (tell me if i'm wrong)....what is bell looking for?

I heard $15 million for Bell.

Freeman is getting paid $8.25 million and is the highest paid RB in the league.  If Bell would settle for $10 million they’d probably stick with him... but his demands are ridiculous. 

If the Stellers can get Lewis for 6-7 that’s a much more reasonable number.  The Steelers have negative cap space, they can afford Bell.

$10 million for Lewis isn’t going to happen.  He’s talented, but often injured.

I hear you. I'm one of those that believe you don't need a superstar RB to win a Super Bowl. Eagles/Pats for example. 

5 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I hear you. I'm one of those that believe you don't need a superstar RB to win a Super Bowl. Eagles/Pats for example. 

The Pats do not count in this discussion. They never have. They are the reason the NFL has treated RB's like trash the last 10 years. They have Tom Brady on a paycut. That's the only reason pats are there. 

Every other team that gets there always has great RB's. 

Pats even had the guy asking for $10 M in dion lewis. 

Eagles have ajayi under his rookie contract. 

What about Seahawks or Broncos super bowls? 

Teams are obsessed with the notion a great RB doesn't matter because the Patriots make these stupid teams believe this way. 

Cowboys 13 wins 1 year then miss playoffs the next. Dak is the future one year and JAG the next. Common denominator was Zeke. It's not rocket science. It's RB's matter a hell of a lot more than people think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

The Pats do not count in this discussion. They never have. They are the reason the NFL has treated RB's like trash the last 10 years. They have Tom Brady on a paycut. That's the only reason pats are there. 

Every other team that gets there always has great RB's. 

Pats even had the guy asking for $10 M in dion lewis. 

Eagles have ajayi under his rookie contract. 

What about Seahawks or Broncos super bowls? 

Teams are obsessed with the notion a great RB doesn't matter because the Patriots make these stupid teams believe this way. 

Cowboys 13 wins 1 year then miss playoffs the next. Dak is the future one year and JAG the next. Common denominator was Zeke. It's not rocket science. It's RB's matter a hell of a lot more than people think. 

You just made my point for me. 

41 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I heard $15 million for Bell.

Freeman is getting paid $8.25 million and is the highest paid RB in the league.  If Bell would settle for $10 million they’d probably stick with him... but his demands are ridiculous. 

If the Stellers can get Lewis for 6-7 that’s a much more reasonable number.  The Steelers have negative cap space, they can afford Bell.

$10 million for Lewis isn’t going to happen.  He’s talented, but often injured.

boston herald jeff howe says lewis is asking 15-18 mill  with 10 mill gaurenteed......not sure how that breaksdown yearly??? he says very unlikely lewis returns. they still have gillisee and white under contract and may choose another 1 year deal with burkhead. this puts lewis on the market. not sure how that amount would breakdown and allow a team to sign lewis. with teams not looking to spend big money on rbs and so many good prospects coming out of the draft that can be had cheap? 

boston herald jeff howe says lewis is asking 15-18 mill  with 10 mill gaurenteed......not sure how that breaksdown yearly??? he says very unlikely lewis returns. they still have gillisee and white under contract and may choose another 1 year deal with burkhead. this puts lewis on the market. not sure how that amount would breakdown and allow a team to sign lewis. with teams not looking to spend big money on rbs and so many good prospects coming out of the draft that can be had cheap? 

Gillislee's deal is for two years and is worth $6.4 million. 

Miller is getting 6.5

L. Murray 5

CJ Anderson 4.5

Even my 6-7 seems to high in this context.  

Maybe 4 year, 10 guaranteed, ave. 4.5 million?  That would get you to $18 million.  

Or, $6 million for 3 years.

Lewis is a duel threat... is 4-6 million the going rate?  Bell’s demand seems crazy...  no wonder he wouldn’t turn down the tag at $12.

Edited by seanismorris

6 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Interesting to note, 1st round draft picks at RB get paid very well.  But there is a significant drop off.  Kamara is getting robbed.

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

Draft picks get whatever their slot is deemed to be worth regardless of position. 

It's the fact that most of these guys rarely see a 2nd contract worth a damn after rookie deal is up that's the problem IMO. 

4 hours ago, seanismorris said:

Then the pats cut all their rb's to pick up Bell.