SpecialFNK

Joe Musgrove 2018 Outlook

Can't believe he didn't have a thread until an hour ago. That's all I'm good for, unfortunately, that weak comment right there. Have a great day, everybody.

I'm pretty psyched depending on the price.  FantasyPros consensus ADP has him at 342.  I'd go as high as the early 200s based on pedigree and the favorable park situation -- that's in the Garrett Richards / Aaron Sanchez / Cole Hamels range, and I think I'd roll the dice on Musgrove.  Probably won't win many games, but other than that could be serviceable.

Good streamer for home games but probably not much more. He is on the wrong team.

Like him a lot more in NL.  He’s the type of arm that really needs the pitcher to spot to survive in a lot of games.  Pirates were a great landing spot for ratio upside.  He’s on my radar as a late sleeper.

Injured again after a minor league start and shut down for at least 5-7 days. Ugh.

It's not long shut down, but it's getting more and more difficult to believe that his shoulder issue is going away any time soon. The short timetable given by the Pirates makes it difficult to cut bait in deeper/NL only formats, but these things have a way of taking a lot longer than anticipated.

So a bullpen is planned. Best-case is maybe 3 rehab starts? So Majors by mid-May if everything goes right.

I'm still trying to evaluate his upside to see if he's worth waiting on. Obviously the timeframe is still iffy. I don't believe his rehab will be smooth sailing but that's a different story

Joe made his first rehab start last night in A(Adv) and went 3 innings, 5 hits, 2 earned, 0BB, 2 ks. The stats obviously aren't that important right now, I am much more concerned about how the shoulder is going to feel today/until his next start. But for those tracking, the 1st rehab start is in the books. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well, rehab game #2 is in the books for Grove. He threw four innings Monday night in a rehab start for the Double-A Altoona Curve. He threw 28 strikes among his 34 pitches.

He struck out the side on 10 pitches in his final inning, which gave him a streak of four strikeouts to end his outing. Curve officials estimated his fastball reached 94 mph. He allowed two hits — a solo home run and a bloop double.

• Thanks 1

can he be an impact starter when he returns?

I drafted and have been holding, but to be honest, not sure why lol.

especially after looking at his 2017 line.

Rehab start #3 at AAA:  5.2 innings, 0 runs, 0 walks, 6 k’s

it seems like Joe is really sharp.  12:0 k:bb through three starts at three different levels, striking out a batter per inning. I’m sure he is stashed in all competitive leagues but if not I’d grab him ASAP

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Rehab start #3 at AAA:  5.2 innings, 0 runs, 0 walks, 6 k’s

it seems like Joe is really sharp.  12:0 k:bb through three starts at three different levels, striking out a batter per inning. I’m sure he is stashed in all competitive leagues but if not I’d grab him ASAP

Good stuff. He was very sharp last night throwing 60 of 79 pitches for strikes and getting 11 swings and misses. I’m really high on him, I just hope his shoulder holds up.

5 innings, 10 hits, 6 runs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts. 

He did manage to throw 96 pitches, so he looks ready to go. But after this clunker they might give him one more rehab start

• Like 1

I did pick him up on some teams in the beginning of the week.  Didn't know his last start was so bad though.  Was already debating whether he was really worth anything.  We'll see.

Yeah I think he's worth a shot in deeper leagues, esp with his dual RP/SP eligibility. The stuff has always been solid, seems he did excel more in the pen last year, but that doesn't mean all that much. I worry that the shoulder woes are not going anywhere though, so don't make any long term plans.

As much as I like JM he seems to have a chronic shoulder issue.  Had it last season as well.  I would take a shot with him but not invest too much.

He had some hype with the Astros but I think the shoulder injuries made people forget about him. What’s his ROS outlook?