garlando

Juiced Ball Sports Top 105 Prospects

Love the commentary.  I hate it when everything sounds so robotic and generic.  This was much more enjoyable to read.  Nice find.

The list itself I thought was a bit aggressive especially with guys on the back half.

Edited by I like baseball
  • Like 1

It's definitely an aggressive (maybe closer to crazy than aggressive haha) list with some very bold projections but I do think there's value in it and that's why I shared it. I like that he tries to justify his rankings with blurbs and projections so you get a sense of his logic on why he ranked guys where they are. It's different but I'm okay with different.

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of different and quirky reads. He reminds me of a future Razzball writer. Starting with the projection on Luis Robert, you can tell its going to have some bold rankings and it does. Luis Robert has the ability to be big, however, his small American baseball track record doesn't do enough for me to make him a Top10. These are my favorite type of rankings though. I love reading different rankings. I feel like a lot of the sites have the same names 1-80 and then just sprinkle some slightly unique players at the end. This is refreshingly fun and if anything introduces you to a couple players that make you go "hmmmm". Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 1:04 PM, Travis Burten said:

Where's Jake Bauers?

Reply from author on Bauers..

I think saying saying his floor would be around 20 home runs is pretty bold with bauers. He’s never hit more than 14 and never had an ISO above .149 or a slg %above 420. He also has a pretty much full frame so it’s hard to project him out. And he’s yet to have a wOBA above .345 so a floor of 360 is a bit high. 

That being said I like Bauers and he was close on my list. But his upside is just so limited. I think his expectation is around 265/340/425 with 15 bombs and 10 sb. Which is nice, but not really a starter at 1B or of. And his upside just isn’t much higher. 

I like his discipline and running instincts. 20/23 steals attempts without much speed is impressive. Just not the upside to make the list 

• Like 1

really enjoyed reading that. entertaining, insightful. Plus we have similar taste (Siri/Welker/Robert hype!)

I keep seeing Welker referred to as this contact hitting type though... am I the only one that sees significant power potential?  I mean look at that... and that's from 3 years ago. He has only gained strength since. Or him homering here.  I think he can be contact+pop. And in Coors? Yummy.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Garlando. I read almost every blurb. Good stuff!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Thanks for the list, definitely some insane projections in places, but isn't the point of prospects to just dream of their ceilings?

That's a lot of it. 

That's why I'm pretty aggressive on some 17-year old international guys. Frankly I'm just more intrigued by a youngster who could evolve into a Machado type, rather than a more polished, closer-to-the-bigs type who profiles as, ya know, a serviceable SP4 type. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

49 minutes ago, Steve gar said:

Peter Alonso and Chris Paddock are getting their props on this list.

How about Yordan Alvarez going from 68 to 11 despite missing a lot of time with that injury

• Like 2

I’m a big fan of this list. Any list of prospects can be picked apart by where each guy is specifically ranked, who is ahead of him, behind him, how much they have moved, ETA etc. 

Besides the few quality sites like Razzball, just to name one. There still doesn’t seem to be enough quality FANTASY prospect rankings. 

I think this one definitely took the full on fantasy aspect. The biggest proff of that is the aggressive ranks on both Garret Hampson and Paddock. Both are tailored made right now for fantasy and I love the rankings.

Overall - just a really solid list. 

• Like 5

Nice but sad to see Jhailyn Ortiz didn't make the list.  Come on guys, his middle name is David after all.

Also I hate that players that are obviously up to stay but meet some screwy dot the i and cross the t definition of a prospect clog up the list instead of giving us more prospects.  Soto and Robles aren't going back down.  Give Vlad his due.  He is #1 now, not #2.

Also to those of you who follow prospects better than I do:  How did Chris Paddock leapfrog over all the other SD prospect pitchers not named Gore?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

53 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also to those of you who follow prospects better than I do:  How did Chris Paddock leapfrog over all the other SD prospect pitchers not named Gore?

He was putting up video games numbers before tommy John surgery, came back from tommy John surgery, and is putting up video game numbers.

if he does this at aa when he gets promoted, there an argument he should be the number ones pitchinh prospect, perhaps that argument already exists. He would be top 5 pitching prospect for me right now I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

He was putting up video games numbers before tommy John surgery, came back from tommy John surgery, and is putting up video game numbers.

if he does this at aa when he gets promoted, there an argument he should be the number ones pitchinh prospect, perhaps that argument already exists. He would be top 5 pitching prospect for me right now I think.

Thanks.  Appreciate it.  He can be number two if he wants but I own Forrest Whitley in a few leagues so he better stay number one, haha.

I can see why Nick Solak is #37, .398 obp 16 sb .859 ops in AA now, but his career minors numbers are similar.

No growing pains yet.

• Like 1