Sign in to follow this  
BostonCajun

Yoenis Cespedes 2018 Outlook

This guy is the reason why guaranteed contracts should at least be on table of being discussed to change.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen an injury quite like this.  MRI showed something so minor he was available to pinch hit the night before they decided to DL him.  Now he’s been hitting and running for over a week and still no timetable for return and unlikely to return for Yankees series this weekend.  Is there a more gutless player in mlb?  I knew this guy was injury prone when I got him this year, I didn’t know he was a loser also though.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

This guy is the reason why guaranteed contracts should at least be on table of being discussed to change.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen an injury quite like this.  MRI showed something so minor he was available to pinch hit the night before they decided to DL him.  Now he’s been hitting and running for over a week and still no timetable for return and unlikely to return for Yankees series this weekend.  Is there a more gutless player in mlb?  I knew this guy was injury prone when I got him this year, I didn’t know he was a loser also though.  

JD Drew still has Cespedes beat when it comes to all-time wusses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billofwa said:

JD Drew still has Cespedes beat when it comes to all-time wusses.

Haha throw back name.  Nobody will ever beat J.DL Drew.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

And he's no longer speaking to the media... for no reason whatsoever... 

6 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

And he's no longer speaking to the media... for no reason whatsoever... 

He’s got an awfully high opinion of himself.  Usually guys who do that are people who’ve actually accomplished something in their sport.

It's pretty obvious that this dude doesn't want to play. He has a large contract and will get paid whether he plays or not. The Mets aren't losing much when he's not playing, since his numbers are pedestrian and his K% is through the roof. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It's pretty obvious that this dude doesn't want to play. He has a large contract and will get paid whether he plays or not. The Mets aren't losing much when he's not playing, since his numbers are pedestrian and his K% is through the roof. 

Their record and offense without him beg to differ.  Their lineup sucks.  Yoenis has many flaws but he’s a legit big power stick.  He was struggling early in year and still pacing for huge rbi numbers he seems to come up with clutch knocks.  

Left rehab with quad tightness.  Can’t make this s*** up lol.  For no DL leagues would it be dumb to drop to this loser and let him be someone else’s issue?

Edited by Cmilne23

18 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Unreal. The Mets said it was precautionary, think he still comes back Tuesday or no way?

Not a chance...ASB or after. 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, jb_power said:

nuff said

maxresdefault.jpg

The shiny/happy/people photo of Yoenis is gravy here - well done.

4 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

With the most recent update in mind, when would you expect him back now?

End of June/early July with a 50% chance of reaggravation.  This team is a joke and a complete dumpster fire. 

1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

It's possible he's back in a week or two...

This is on the back of his baseball card.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

It's possible he's back in a week or two .. a lot of salty/frustrated owners at the moment but let's not get carried away

Put this in perspective, widely considered the most injury prone player of last 2 years — Adam Eaton had his ankle cut open on an operating table at same time Yoenis went on DL with a “MINOR HIP FLEXOR.”  And the guy who had his ankle cut open made it back WELL before the guy with the MINOR hip flexor.  Yeah, at this point owners should go ahead prepare for the not getting any production from Yoenis the rest of year.  If he does, great, but there should be no expectations.  The fact that a professional athlete will have needed 6+ weeks to return from a MINOR hip flexor speaks volumes.  This team is a disaster, this player is a disaster, this medical staff is a disaster, it’s the perfect storm for a minor hip flexor taking 6+ weeks to return from.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

another ominous update.  Alderson now says he has zero timetable.  Completely starting from scratch.  I’ve never seen a perceived minor injury take on a life of its own like this.  This is completely unprecedented.  Wish I could say I’m hoping to deal him ASAP when he’s back but at this point I’d actually be moderately surprised to see him play again this season.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

another ominous update.  Alderson now says he has zero timetable.  Completely starting from scratch.  I’ve never seen a perceived minor injury take on a life of its own like this.  This is completely unprecedented.  Wish I could say I’m hoping to deal him ASAP when he’s back but at this point I’d actually be moderately surprised to see him play again this season.  

Kinda similiar to last year's soap opera with David "China" Dahl and his "rib" injury

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

It was never a minor injury imo. The Mets stated that it's a minor injury and lied like they always do. I'm starting to think that Cespedes stopped talking to the media because he didn't want a problem with the team. Or maybe they even told him to stop talking to the media. When will MLB realize that the Wilpons are crooks, plain and simple they are conmen. They always say that the injuries are minor in order to keep selling tickets. Good or bad they sell tickets, going to Citi Field is actually a nice experience regardless of the final score. Most fans are walking around during the game and buying various food or other things. The Wilpons sell false hope and the fans continue to buy it, this is their business model and it apparently works because they are a very profitable team. Another wasted season...

• Like 1

His quads have been an issue for years now. Even if he does make it back at some point and goes on a tear, I can't see him staying healthy for any extended amount of time. I'd personally think about cutting bait in shallower formats. If you're in a 12+ team league it becomes a bit more complicated.

27 minutes ago, absknicks said:

His quads have been an issue for years now. Even if he does make it back at some point and goes on a tear, I can't see him staying healthy for any extended amount of time. I'd personally think about cutting bait in shallower formats. If you're in a 12+ team league it becomes a bit more complicated.

I’ve been close in my 12 teamer.  With Betts, Belt, Pollock, YoAnus, Miggy/Lemahieu previously, all on DL at same time he was first guy I thought of cutting.  He’s on my team for a reason I love his slugging ability.  But he simply cannot stay healthy.  A lot problems come back to his leg exercises.  I have bodybuilders at my gym who lift moderate weights with high reps to build up around competition time.  They’ve told me that theres never any reason to stack 9+ plates on a leg press.  And if you watch old videos of his leg press he can basically leg press cars.  He’s completely f**** in his quad/hip areas.  His talent is never in question this guy can destroy baseballs.  But can he play enough games to do it well enough to help your team?  The answer to that is probably not.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1