NYR Fan 116894

LeSean McCoy 2018 Season Outlook

LeSean McCoy set a five-year low in percentage of carries from shotgun formations in 2017.
Just 17 percent of McCoy's carries came out of the 'gun, a far cry from the 83 percent he logged way back in 2013 under Chip Kelly. Partly as a result, McCoy averaged a career-worst 3.97 yards per carry. McCoy has always been an elusive in-space creator and not a physical grinder between the tackles, and shotgun runs give him more room at the handoff. The 2017 Bills offensive staff failed badly to mold their scheme to their player talents, resulting in OC Rick Dennison's post-season dismissal

Here are the tweets from Clay:

LeSean McCoy played all 16 games in 2017 for the first time since 2014. Carried the ball 287 times for 1138 yards and 6 rushing TD's while also adding in 59 catches for 448 yards and 2 TD's. 

He turns 30 in July. He has 2,626 career touches under his belt. It's early, but thoughts on McCoy for 2018? 

1 hour ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Here are the tweets from Clay:

LeSean McCoy played all 16 games in 2017 for the first time since 2014. Carried the ball 287 times for 1138 yards and 6 rushing TD's while also adding in 59 catches for 448 yards and 2 TD's. 

He turns 30 in July. He has 2,626 career touches under his belt. It's early, but thoughts on McCoy for 2018? 

What jumps out from above...30 yr old RB, coming off career-lows in yards per catch & carry

Rick Dennison is trash, but sounds like this new guy won't be much better for McCoy either. 

As long as their isn't competition I wouldn't worry too much, but we've gotta get through April before we can say that with confidence. 

Buffalo had probably the worst passing game in the league the majority of the Year (Although John Fox & Darrell Loggains tried hard to claim the title with the Bears) so defenses just loaded up to stop the run.

J. Matthews, Zay"it ain't so "Jones & Charles "made of" Clay offered no threat. Then the genius use of the Peterman experiment. It's a wonder Shady finished where he did (top ten again).  Kelvin "can't count on yer " Benjamin's injury plagued and unproductive year left Deonte Thompson as your biggest threat. Are you kidding me ???

Can't get worse :angry:

• Like 1

Rb7 in 2017, and as healthy/explosive as he ever has been throughout a season.   Hopefully the age hounds spread enough stats and panic this offseason that Shady is around near the turn.     You can’t expect elite athletes to always conform to generalities regarding age.   That’s for mortals.   

Would love to pair him with a Hunt/Howard type.  

• Like 1

A lot of volatility in McCoy's situation

-Offensive line:  The left side trio of Glenn, Incognito, and Wood used to be a strength.   Wood is retiring, Incognito is strong but an aging player with a high cap hit, and Glenn is broken down a bit and may have lost the LT job to Dawkins as a result.    Plenty of questions here.   There are some positives- Dawkins was good, Groy probably can start somewhere, and Incognito is at least a pro bowler if he stays, but they need a youth infusion and to figure out that right side.

-Tons of roster holes.  Outside of the secondary, this team has no strong position groups.   You can argue needs at all of the following as major needs:  OL, WR, QB, DT, DE, LB.   The secondary had three studs in 2017 but no depth.   A backup safety is needed, and their CB's other than White were torched regularly (other than Gaines who is a FA).    They could pick up four or 5 starters in FA and the draft based on need, and have not one of these players help the offense, burdening them further

-OC Change:   Its not a sure thing that Daboll is better than Dennison.   "How could it be worse?"  It can always be worse.   

-QB Change:   Taylor is a hotly debated player, but he was at least a functional starting QB, ntm a running threat who probably helped McCoy's game.   A rookie QB can put an even greater burden on McCoy's shoulders, especially if his weapons are below average.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

A lot of volatility in McCoy's situation

-Offensive line:  The left side trio of Glenn, Incognito, and Wood used to be a strength.   Wood is retiring, Incognito is strong but an aging player with a high cap hit, and Glenn is broken down a bit and may have lost the LT job to Dawkins as a result.    Plenty of questions here.   There are some positives- Dawkins was good, Groy probably can start somewhere, and Incognito is at least a pro bowler if he stays, but they need a youth infusion and to figure out that right side.

-Tons of roster holes.  Outside of the secondary, this team has no strong position groups.   You can argue needs at all of the following as major needs:  OL, WR, QB, DT, DE, LB.   The secondary had three studs in 2017 but no depth.   A backup safety is needed, and their CB's other than White were torched regularly (other than Gaines who is a FA).    They could pick up four or 5 starters in FA and the draft based on need, and have not one of these players help the offense, burdening them further

-OC Change:   Its not a sure thing that Daboll is better than Dennison.   "How could it be worse?"  It can always be worse.   

-QB Change:   Taylor is a hotly debated player, but he was at least a functional starting QB, ntm a running threat who probably helped McCoy's game.   A rookie QB can put an even greater burden on McCoy's shoulders, especially if his weapons are below average.

Good assessment of the roster.

They really need a run stopping DT.  Their run D collapsed when they traded Dareus.

It is put up or shut up time for DE Shaq Lawson.  If he plays to his draft slot he and Hughes are a decent DE combo.

LB Preston Brown is a FA.  I liked what I saw from rookie lb Milano.

Ol - I don't know if they are going to bring Glenn back or not.   If they do as you mentioned they have 3 quality starting Oline.  I need to see it from Groy.  RG stinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Good assessment of the roster.

They really need a run stopping DT.  Their run D collapsed when they traded Dareus.

It is put up or shut up time for DE Shaq Lawson.  If he plays to his draft slot he and Hughes are a decent DE combo.

LB Preston Brown is a FA.  I liked what I saw from rookie lb Milano.

Ol - I don't know if they are going to bring Glenn back or not.   If they do as you mentioned they have 3 quality starting Oline.  I need to see it from Groy.  RG stinks.

I wonder why Glenn doesn't stay at LT for one more year, and Dawkins at RT.  Put Groy at center, keep Incognito, and you have probably an above average line even with Ducasse or Miller at RG.    If they're cutting Taylor and not getting Cousins, they are probably fine with cap space, so why gut the line?  If anything, double down on the run game-  get that missing RG, add a great compliment to Shady, and build the run D.  Win boring, rather than grasping at fixing a pass game that's a tall tale.   

Milano should start.  Brown is just ok, if they want to improve their run D its going to take two new DT,'s and a true three down sideline to sideline LB.    There are some FA DT's i like, but not much at LB- that has to be a draft need, or they live with re-signing Preston.   Had they kept Zach Brown instead of Alexander, and not traded Ragland, they'd have three sure starting LB's going into 2018.   Bad luck/bad decisions

• Like 2

^^^ this is all good info fellas keep it coming.   

But really...it doesn’t matter.    None of it.    Other than the part about 3 solid linemen.  That’s always good.  

As long as McCoy is healthy and getting the ball 20ish times a game he’s a top 5-8 rb.   He has seen about every type of offense you could conceive of- and succeeded in them.   The pieces around him will shuffle in and shuffle out like passengers getting on a train.     when we see him slow down any...then we’ll talk. 

Edited by Impreza178

As noted above, he set career lows in YPC and YAC last year.  What makes you think he isn’t slowing down any?

He didn't have a rushing TD until like halfway thru the season right? 

That's a bit worrisome, but I'll need to see what this team looks like in April after the draft to get a good feel for it. 

I hadn't thought much of McCoy's ranking for this season until now.  Incognito retiring leaves a big hole here, enough that I think McCoy's out of my top 12.      Buffalo's draft could go in a number of directions, so i suppose this can change, but right now, what's the most popular scenario?  It appears to be a rookie QB, with a possible tradeup that takes away draft picks to get receivers or linemen to help him (and McCoy).     

I figured he had another year at least in him, but as herculean as he's been at times in Buffalo, its easy to wonder if its too tall a task to see him be a top RB again this time around

30 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I hadn't thought much of McCoy's ranking for this season until now.  Incognito retiring leaves a big hole here, enough that I think McCoy's out of my top 12.      Buffalo's draft could go in a number of directions, so i suppose this can change, but right now, what's the most popular scenario?  It appears to be a rookie QB, with a possible tradeup that takes away draft picks to get receivers or linemen to help him (and McCoy).     

I figured he had another year at least in him, but as herculean as he's been at times in Buffalo, its easy to wonder if its too tall a task to see him be a top RB again this time around

I smell a lesean trade on draft day. He is a valuable trade piece and the franchise is in full blown rebuild mode and wants a top4 pick

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I smell a lesean trade on draft day. He is a valuable trade piece and the franchise is in full blown rebuild mode and wants a top4 pick

IDK he’s 29 with a lot of miles on the odometer.  

Shady plus 2 firsts maybe? 

Problem is finding the trade partner 

clevekand or giants take Barkley.  

Dont know that the other one will want McCoy 

denver....not really high enough to guarantee a top 4 qb

Edited by Impreza178

45 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Incognito retiring leaves a big hole here

Plus they traded a tackle, and another guy retired, too, I believe.

A good OL has completely fallen apart over the last several weeks.

This could be the worst offense in football.  No QB, awful WR corps, OL is gone, woof.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Yikes.

At this point if I were McCoy, I'd retire.

He should have forced a trade after Tyrod was traded

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, 96mnc said:

I liked what I saw from rookie lb Milano.

Milano did put up 3 solid stat lines (weeks 7, 8 and 14), filling in for Roman Humber in limited play, but @ 6' 223lbs, I'm not sure he can sustain a starting gig.

*Humber resigned on a 1yr deal.

Edited by FollowTheLeader

6 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Plus they traded a tackle, and another guy retired, too, I believe.

A good OL has completely fallen apart over the last several weeks.

This could be the worst offense in football.  No QB, awful WR corps, OL is gone, woof.

Cordy Glenn at least had an in house replacement in Dion Dawkins.   He played well last year as a rookie.   But, he's no sure thing of course.  Eric Wood is the other retiree- he was a guy they were counting on.  He wasn't a great center, but was solid, an anchor.   Also a leader, well respected teammate, etc.   

I'm starting to see the same things here re: the offense.   It wasn't good last year, now a lot of the better pieces are gone.    Brandon Beane has a ton of rope too- he outlined a 2 year cap reset plan- they have FORTY million in dead cap this year as part of that.   They just made the playoffs, and he can easily get through a down year unscathed while he rebuilds further. 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I'm only just seeing this.  I say no way in hell on draft day.  They're not bold enough to throw away 2018 even if there are reasons to punt and create two drafts' worth of rebuild.   

However, an October trade after they struggle makes sense.   McCoy of course has to remain spry and healthy for that to happen, but its easy to see that scenario

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

IDK he’s 29 with a lot of miles on the odometer.  

Shady plus 2 firsts maybe? 

What he said. Shady is certainly not a 'valuable trade piece'

5 hours ago, BrianM said:

I'm only just seeing this.  I say no way in hell on draft day.  They're not bold enough to throw away 2018 even if there are reasons to punt and create two drafts' worth of rebuild.   

However, an October trade after they struggle makes sense.   McCoy of course has to remain spry and healthy for that to happen, but its easy to see that scenario

They should. 

Their oline got gutted this offseason.

If they aren't able to move up for a qb then I'll change my opinion as with their two firsts and their second they can rebuild the oline and improve the D.

But really this should be a complete rebuilding year. 

Posted (edited)

Sean McDermott has a plan. I have no idea what it is, but he will execute his vision.

Edited by beotos

27 minutes ago, beotos said:

Sean McDermott has a plan. I have no idea what it is, but he will execute his vision.

His plan was to start Peterman over Tyrod.  Not a good track record. Tyrod getting them into the playoffs extended his leash by at least 2 years.