Sign in to follow this  
psygolf

Drew Brees 2018 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, youngrice said:

None of them will make it to the open-market.  Good chance Brady and Ben retire.  Either way all will be franchised if not extended before their contract is up.

One could've said the same of Brees last offseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 2:44 PM, psygolf said:

One could've said the same of Brees last offseason

Brees is already set to sign with NO.  So your point is??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Brees is already set to sign with NO.  So your point is??

They have a month to agree to terms...the Alex & Jimmy deals may not encourage Brees to keep taking one year deals.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, psygolf said:

They have a month to agree to terms...the Alex & Jimmy deals may not encourage Brees to keep taking one year deals.

 

 

There aren't many read-made championship defenses for Brees to join and still get a big pay day. This isn't like the Broncos and Peyton, and even then it took a couple years. Brees likely didn't sign an extension last season because he wanted to see if the organization made the necessary changes on defense. And the Saints defense looked good with some of those rookies and other players rebounding last season.

 

Brees will re-sign with the Saints and I don't expect it to be a one year deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, psygolf said:

They have a month to agree to terms...the Alex & Jimmy deals may not encourage Brees to keep taking one year deals.

 

 

Everything I have heard is Brees is going to sign a two year contract and they are just finalizing certain aspects.  That was stated way before Alex, Jimmy's deals and nothing has come out since stating anything has changed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Everything I have heard is Brees is going to sign a two year contract and they are just finalizing certain aspects.  That was stated way before Alex, Jimmy's deals and nothing has come out since stating anything has changed.  

*before those deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, devaster said:

There aren't many read-made championship defenses for Brees to join and still get a big pay day. This isn't like the Broncos and Peyton, and even then it took a couple years. Brees likely didn't sign an extension last season because he wanted to see if the organization made the necessary changes on defense. And the Saints defense looked good with some of those rookies and other players rebounding last season.

 

Brees will re-sign with the Saints and I don't expect it to be a one year deal.

 

I doubt the cap would allow it, but it would be a treat to see Brees go to Jacksonville. Especially if they got AR15 back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

*before those deals.

You really think a 39 year old Brees on the best NO team he has had in almost a decade really cares about Alex and Jimmy G get paid??? I don't.  Also Brees is going to count 18 mill against NO cap even if he is not on the team.  Makes for big incentive for the team to keep him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, youngrice said:

You really think a 39 year old Brees on the best NO team he has had in almost a decade really cares about Alex and Jimmy G get paid??? I don't.  Also Brees is going to count 18 mill against NO cap even if he is not on the team.  Makes for big incentive for the team to keep him.

That's dead signing bonus money already paid out to Brees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, psygolf said:

That's dead signing bonus money already paid out to Brees.

Exactly.  I doubt Brees going to want to take up around 40 mil in cap space.  So it gives incentive for both sides to make something that work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Exactly.  I doubt Brees going to want to take up around 40 mil in cap space.  So it gives incentive for both sides to make something that work.

Idk...even at a hometown discount, 2 years at $25m per + signing bonus + 9m a year in existing dead money comes pretty close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psygolf said:

That's dead signing bonus money already paid out to Brees.

 

Yep.   6m per year for three more years. 

 

The good thing for the saints is that if they sign him to a new deal by 3/14/18 then that old bonus money will only take up 6m this year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

Yep.   6m per year for three more years. 

 

The good thing for the saints is that if they sign him to a new deal by 3/14/18 then that old bonus money will only take up 6m this year.   

The bad thing is they only have 32m in cap space...all the teams with less $ to spend (except the bills & broncos) already have their QB1 tied into their cap #.

Edited by psygolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, psygolf said:

The bad thing is they only have 32m in cap space...all the teams with less $ to spend (except the bills & broncos) already have their QB1 tied into their cap #.

 

What Brees demands is going to be interesting.  Does he want fair market value or is he willing to take less to stay in NO with a team that appears ready to compete for the SB.

 

But from a cap management standpoint let's say they sign him to 3 year deal at 20m per year,  all base salary.  For 2018 cap purposes 6m of that is already accounted for in the 32m of space remaining number.   Adding 20m would leave them with 12m remaining to spend this offseason.  That's not much.

 

6m or so is going to have to go to draft picks.   That leaves only 6m to bring in new players.

 

Brees is going to have decide how much winning vs making money matters to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

 

What Brees demands is going to be interesting.  Does he want fair market value or is he willing to take less to stay in NO with a team that appears ready to compete for the SB.

 

But from a cap management standpoint let's say they sign him to 3 year deal at 20m per year,  all base salary.  For 2018 cap purposes 6m of that is already accounted for in the 32m of space remaining number.   Adding 14m would leave them with 18m remaining to spend this offseason.  That's not much.

 

6m or so is going to have to go to draft picks.   That leaves only 12m to bring in new players.

 

Brees is going to have decide how much winning vs making money matters to him. 

You're a little off...that bonus money was paid out long ago, just stretched on the books for cap purposes... now you want him to consider that dead money into his new contract/salary so you can get him to play for $14m?  I doubt he'd be game for that,

Edited by psygolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, psygolf said:

You're a little off...that bonus money was paid out long ago, just stretched on the books for cap purposes... now you want him to consider that dead money into his new contract/salary so you can get him to play for $14m?  I doubt he'd be game for that,

 

I went back and corrected the cap impact of giving brees a 20m base contract for 2018.  That would indeed give him a 26m cap charge in 2018.

 

I was mostly looking at it from a NO salary cap management perspective and the impact giving brees 20m base salary would have.  It's even worse if they do do that. 

 

I'm not saying brees should take that dead money into account on his new deal,  just that if he wants fair market value it is going to be impossible for NO to add quality vets around him in FA this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Does he want fair market value or is he willing to take less to stay in NO with a team that appears ready to compete for the SB.

 

He has already indicated that he's coming back, and that he's not playing for anyone but the Saints.  So he's already given up some leverage there, i.e. he's giving some kind of market discount.  Only question is how much it'll ultimately be.

Edited by Lord_Varys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

I went back and corrected the cap impact of giving brees a 20m base contract for 2018.  That would indeed give him a 26m cap charge in 2018.

 

I was mostly looking at it from a NO salary cap management perspective and the impact giving brees 20m base salary would have.  It's even worse if they do do that. 

 

I'm not saying brees should take that dead money into account on his new deal,  just that if he wants fair market value it is going to be impossible for NO to add quality vets around him in FA this year. 

They done such a nice job with the draft lately, I wouldn't worry about FAs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees has never taken any form of discount before so I don't expect much of one now either. 

 

Maybe he does the Melo Anthony thing in New York where he took $105 M instead of $110 M and acted like he was doing it for the good of the organization.

 

Brees seems like the business type to me. Rather get paid his market value or close to it than take a discount and make a title run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Brees has never taken any form of discount before so I don't expect much of one now either. 

 

Maybe he does the Melo Anthony thing in New York where he took $105 M instead of $110 M and acted like he was doing it for the good of the organization.

 

Brees seems like the business type to me. Rather get paid his market value or close to it than take a discount and make a title run. 

Have to agree...He's been chasing stats, not trophies

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Brees has never taken any form of discount before so I don't expect much of one now either. 

 

Maybe he does the Melo Anthony thing in New York where he took $105 M instead of $110 M and acted like he was doing it for the good of the organization.

 

Brees seems like the business type to me. Rather get paid his market value or close to it than take a discount and make a title run. 

 

He's only saying the right things because he knows Sean Payton loves Baker Mayfield and would willingly trade up to get him if Brees causes drama. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Brees has never taken any form of discount before so I don't expect much of one now either. 

 

Maybe he does the Melo Anthony thing in New York where he took $105 M instead of $110 M and acted like he was doing it for the good of the organization.

 

Brees seems like the business type to me. Rather get paid his market value or close to it than take a discount and make a title run. 

Players take different stances at certain points of their careers.  Before he still had years to play so why take a discount.  Now he has maybe 3 years left.  You really think he would rather leave his team that looks set to contend for the next couple of years over money.  I just don't see it.  Really if all he is playing for now is money why not retire.  He isn't a moron that blew all his money.  He and his family is set for generations.  Why not just enjoy it and his health if not trying for another title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, psygolf said:

They done such a nice job with the draft lately, I wouldn't worry about FAs

 

I agree,  their drafting has been outstanding.  But they still have holes to fill on the DL (DE) and they need to shore up the run D (LB, DT).   They need better LBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The have lost Cooks, Snead & Coleman are RFAs, and Ginn will be 32 yrs 

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

 

I agree,  their drafting has been outstanding.  But they still have holes to fill on the DL (DE) and they need to shore up the run D (LB, DT).   They need better LBs.

On offense, they will also have to outbid teams to retain RFAs Coleman, Snead...Ginn will be 32 yrs old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, youngrice said:

Players take different stances at certain points of their careers.  Before he still had years to play so why take a discount.  Now he has maybe 3 years left.  You really think he would rather leave his team that looks set to contend for the next couple of years over money.  I just don't see it.  Really if all he is playing for now is money why not retire.  He isn't a moron that blew all his money.  He and his family is set for generations.  Why not just enjoy it and his health if not trying for another title.

 

Everyone has their own motivations in life and reasons why they may or may not do something. 

 

I'm not Drew Brees nor do I have personal inside information on him. I'm merely speculating using his track record as grounds for my speculation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.