Sign in to follow this  
psygolf

Drew Brees 2018 Season Outlook

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

The have lost Cooks, Snead & Coleman are RFAs, and Ginn will be 32 yrs 

On offense, they will also have to outbid teams to retain RFAs Coleman, Snead...Ginn will be 32 yrs old.

Those guys are definitions of JAGs. 

Bet they let them all walk. 

Manti Teo is a solid LB too when healthy. 

23 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Those guys are definitions of JAGs. 

Bet they let them all walk. 

Manti Teo is a solid LB too when healthy. 

That's the catch...the Saints were paying a combined 1.1m for those 2 wrs, they do not have the $ to bring in veteran replacements.

Snead and Coleman?  Not exactly huge losses.  Brees will have enough weapons in the passing game, when all is said and done, to be decent in fantasy.  I doubt we ever return to the days of Brees throwing for 5,000 yards, though.  Doesn't have the arm, and the Saints are now far better on defense.

18 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Snead and Coleman?  Not exactly huge losses.  Brees will have enough weapons in the passing game, when all is said and done, to be decent in fantasy.  I doubt we ever return to the days of Brees throwing for 5,000 yards, though.  Doesn't have the arm, and the Saints are now far better on defense.

It's not a discussion of FF relevance, it's whether the Saints can afford to pay Brees what he wants.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

It's not a discussion of FF relevance, it's whether the Saints can afford to pay Brees what he wants.

Sorry, I that this was a fantasy football forum and this was the Drew Brees 2018 outlook thread.  My mistake.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Sorry, I that this was a fantasy football forum and this was the Drew Brees 2018 outlook thread.  My mistake.

He needs a team first.

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

That's the catch...the Saints were paying a combined 1.1m for those 2 wrs, they do not have the $ to bring in veteran replacements.

My guess is that both Snead and Coleman are back next year.  I don't foresee teams beating down the door to sign either. 

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

Why do you need veteran replacements? 

Cut Coby Fleener and make a run at Jimmy Graham, keep Michael Thomas on rookie deal, find other JAGs already on roster or draft or minimum contract players to fill in the rest. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

14 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

My guess is that both Snead and Coleman are back next year.  I don't foresee teams beating down the door to sign either. 

Snead maybe, but why would the Saints even bother with Coleman?  

I don't think he's anything more than a tall guy pretending to be a WR IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Why do you need veteran replacements? 

Cut Coby Fleener and make a run at Jimmy Graham, keep Michael Thomas on rookie deal, find other JAGs already on roster or draft or minimum contract players to fill in the rest. 

Fleener's 2018 salary became guaranteed last week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Snead maybe, but why would the Saints even bother with Coleman?  

I don't think he's anything more than a tall guy pretending to be a WR IMO.

You're not going to like to hear this answer (unless you're a ingram or kamara owner) but...they like his run blocking.

4 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I'd rather have them over Wheaton & Wright on the bear.

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I wasn't aware.  Good info.  Foolish move on Saint's part IMO.

They had no choice, it's a 8m cap hit either way.

18 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Fleener's 2018 salary became guaranteed last week. 

Don't know if they would do it since they would still have 5 mill dead cap this year and 3.2 mill next year.  But looks like they can release him after 6/1 and save 3 mill vs the cap this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/coby-fleener-9844/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, youngrice said:

Don't know if they would do it since they would still have 5 mill dead cap this year and 3.2 mill next year.  But looks like they can release him after 6/1 and save 3 mill vs the cap this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/coby-fleener-9844/

Yes,  they technically could do that.   But the smart move would have been to release him prior to the 3.4m of base salary becoming guaranteed.

6 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Yes,  they technically could do that.   But the smart move would have been to release him prior to the 3.4m of base salary becoming guaranteed.

I'm not sure where you are seeing the 3.4m base salary.  

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

I'm not sure where you are seeing the 3.4m base salary.  

Only 3.4m of his 6.3m base became guaranteed on 2/7.

It's in the footnote of the link above.

8 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Only 3.4m of his 6.3m base became guaranteed on 2/7.

It's in the footnote of the link above.

The 3.4m was the injury-clause $ part of his contract that became fully-guaranteed salary money after the '18 SB...probably couldve been forced to pay it anyway because he was placed on IR for concussion.

I think the only way to save cap room in '18 is to cut him after June 1 which would push the prorated balance of his signing bonus to next year.

The Saints and free agent Drew Brees will meet at the NFL Combine to discuss a short-term deal.

This year's Combine will be held February 27 until March 5, so it's just under a week away. Per NFL Network's Rapoport, the expectation is Brees will not try to "break the bank" by looking to become the NFL's highest-paid quarterback, which he conceivably could do. Instead, Brees is expected to seek $20-25 million annually, less than Jimmy Garoppolo's $27.5 million per year from the 49ers.