Sign in to follow this  
psygolf

Drew Brees 2018 Season Outlook

Posted (edited)

I think he’s old school in that he actually cares about his legacy. This won’t be like Manning getting ran out of IND*, I fully expect NO to embrace him until the very end.

Edited by lolcopter
*lots of injury implications etc etc etc, but the point remains

Posted (edited)

Imagine you are Drew Brees. You have to watch guys like jimmy g, Alex smith, cousins, and stafford rake in the dough. Your team says they want you but it seems at a year to year pace at below market value. So you say the right things. Give them months to offer a fair deal. But nothing happens. Now other teams can talk to his agent. Nothing is stopping him from taking a 2-3 deal that pays 30m a year from another team. If such a thing were to happen he might take it and leave NO as the good guy while the saints take the blame. All he has to say is he tried with the saints but he went somewhere he feels wanted and can take care of his family better now. 

Edited by Packdog

25 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

breesneck.gif

Mike Glennon..."wow, that's a long neck"

• Like 1

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett reports "at least one other team" was willing to give Drew Brees $60 million guaranteed over two years in free agency.

Just now, Flyers_28 said:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett reports "at least one other team" was willing to give Drew Brees $60 million guaranteed over two years in free agency.

On NFL Network they believe that the team was the Vikings. I think it was the Jets. lol.

Brees is obviously older, but has doing this longer and arguably is still performing at the highest level.  Yet he only gets $27 million guaranteed, while Cousins gets $84M?  Yikes, something about that doesn't seem right.

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Brees is obviously older, but has doing this longer and arguably is still performing at the highest level.  Yet he only gets $27 million guaranteed, while Cousins gets $84M?  Yikes, something about that doesn't seem right.

he was offered more then cousins but only 2 years and said no to stay in New Orleans 

Stand up guy imo 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CooL said:

Brees is 40yrs old, he has a ton of money; what he probably cares about  at this point of his career is his quality of life he is on a  team that is now a legit SBcontender, his children are raised in new Orleans and his community work is there. He has a very stable situation so it's probably worth more to him to pass on a few extra millions to stay in a place he has been for 12yrs vs disrupting his life in every facet.

I wonder how long he can compete as a top ten qb for? So consistent and so much potential with his current arsenal of weapons. Keep producing and I'll keep winning in fantasy lol

I think Brees is still going to be a top 5 drafted QB, but he fell outside the top 10 (11th in my scoring) last year.  I think he's still great, but for fantasy's sake, he's now in a balanced offense and that's not going to change.   His attempts were down about 20% from 2016, that's massive.   QB1?  Sure, of course.  But, QB1 you take a round or two ahead of the rest of the top 12 QB's?   No

His high as hell floor makes him a fairly safe pick, I guess, but i'm not willing to pay top dollar.    The Saints should try to do exactly what they did in 2017, and if they draft well again, their D could get even better.