Sign in to follow this  
Tryptamine

2018 MiLB draft results thread

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

It's been quite a time since I made this thread and one thing I'm still noticing is that people are not giving Seth Romero near enough credit. Yes he had an issue with doing stupid things in college, but talent wise he was the best lefty in the college class and to see him going 28th, I just don't get it. He has as much upside as anyone not named Greene or Gore.

It's not like he did one stupid thing, he did a lot of stupid things. That said, I agree that he is being discounted a lot but there are still overall question marks. He dominated rookie ball last year but he was 21. I'm more curious where you would have taken him?

To me i'd  take him over Carlson, Crouse,  Bukauskas, Baz but would rather have Peterson, Faedo, and Pearson over him.

• Like 1

He hasn't had the armissues of Faedo,Peterson or Pearson so honestly I could see him go anywhere after Gore/Greene/McKay

On 1/20/2018 at 9:08 PM, txrngr34 said:

And...back to results, anyone?

ok. here's my main league's draft from last week

a few notes for context:

* our draft includes anyone prospect-eligible who isn't currently owned in the league, so it's not just 2017 MLB draftees, you also have foreign imports, fringe guys, and the occasional high-profile prospect who was non-tendered in our league due to the way our contracts work (long story)

* the contract structure also means the guys you pick up basically need to pan out within about 3 years, so the value of college players and guys who are already in the mid to high minors is boosted relative to the teenaged high school draftees. the best of those guys still get picked but pretty much only the best, and even then they drop pretty far compared to a pure dynasty keepforever draft

* converted team names to initials just to make this less googleable. as far as i know none of my leaguemates has still found me here

* notice that the same team had picks 2 through 10, so you maybe can't read a lot into the exact order there

2018 Draft Results

1.1 (1) SS - Shohei Ohtani SP ANA
1.2 (2) FR - Brendan McKay 1B TAM
1.3 (3) FR - Kyle Wright SP ATL
1.4 (4) FR - Luis Robert OF CWS
1.5 (5) FR - Keston Hiura DH MIL
1.6 (6) FR - Royce Lewis SS MIN
1.7 (7) FR - Alex Verdugo OF LAD
1.8 (8) FR - Willy Adames 2B/SS TAM
1.9 (9) FR - Jake Bauers 1B/OF TAM
1.10 (10) FR - MacKenzie Gore SP SDP
1.11 (11) KK - Heliot Ramos OF SFG
1.12 (12) FR - Nick Gordon 2B/SS MIN
1.13 (13) UC - Hunter Greene SP CIN
1.14 (14) VC - Jo Adell OF ANA
1.15 (15) FR - Jake Burger 3B CWS
1.16 (16) FR - Alex Faedo SP DET

2.1 (17) 33 - Pavin Smith 1B ARI
2.2 (18) 33 - Brent Rooker 1B/OF MIN
2.3 (19) PC - Jeren Kendall OF LAD
2.4 (20) 33 - Brandon Marsh OF ANA
2.5 (21) SS - David Peterson SP NYM
2.6 (22) FR - Nate Pearson SP TOR
2.7 (23) SS - J.B. Bukauskas SP HOU
2.8 (24) FR - Jhailyn Ortiz OF PHI
2.9 (25) 33 - Evan White 1B SEA
2.10 (26) SS - Tanner Houck SP BOS
2.11 (27) KK - Adam Haseley, OF PHI
2.12 (28) PC - Seth Romero, SP WAS
2.13 (29) FR - Luis Ortiz, SP MIL
2.14 (30) ML - Wander Javier, SS MIN
2.15 (31) TB - Logan Warmoth, SS TOR
2.16 (32) TB - Reynaldo Rivera, OF DET

3.1 (33) TB - Stuart Fairchild, OF CIN
3.2 (34) TB - Joe Dunand, SS MIA
3.3 (35) TB - Esteury Ruiz, 2B SDP
3.4 (36) TB - Ryan Costello, 3B SEA
3.5 (37) ML - Anderson Espinoza, SP SDP
3.6 (38) TB - Austin Beck, OF OAK
3.7 (39) AW - Yoshihisa Hirano, P ARI
3.8 (40) PC - Shane Baz SP PIT
3.9 (41) UP - Nick Pratto 1B KCR
3.10 (42) ML - Josh Lowe OF TB
3.11 (43) KK - Jacob Lindgren P ATL
3.12 (44) VC - Mike Matuella SP TEX
3.13 (45) UC - Dan Vogelbach 1B SEA
3.14 (46) VC - Jordan Sheffield SP LAD
3.15 (47) ML - Akeel Morris P ATL
3.16 (48) AW - Sean Murphy, C OAK

4.1 (49) DP - Nick Kingham SP PIT
4.2 (50) CC - Trevor Richards SP MIA
4.3 (51) PC - Grant Holmes SP OAK
4.4 (52) CC - Lewin Diaz 1B MIN
4.5 (53) SS - Brandon Lowe 2B TAM
4.6 (54) ML - William Contreras C ATL
4.7 (55) AW - Daulton Varsho C ARI
4.8 (56) CK - Gavin Sheets 1B CWS
4.9 (57) DP - Sean Reid-Foley SP TOR
4.10 (58) FN - Nestor Cortes SP BAL
4.11 (59) ML - Ryne Stanek P TAM
4.12 (60) UC - Willi Castro SS CLE
4.13 (61) VC - Will Smith C LAD
4.14 (62) FN - Greg Deichmann OF OAK
4.15 (63) UP - Cole Ragans SP TEX

5.1 (64) CK - Wil Crowe SP WAS
5.2 (65) PC - Khalil Lee OF KCR
5.3 (66) PC - Alex Lange SP CHC
5.4 (67) AW - Aramis Ademan SS CHC
5.5 (68) CK - Clarke Schmidt SP NYY
5.6 (69) DP - Sam Coonrod SP SFG
5.7 (70) XI - Jose Adolis Garcia OF STL
5.8 (71) UC - Sam Hilliard OF COL
5.9 (72) VC - Tristen Lutz OF MIL
5.10 (73) UP - Akil Baddoo OF MIN

6.1 (74) PC - Garrett Stubbs C HOU
6.2 (75) AW - Torii Hunter Jr OF ANA
6.3 (76) XI - Burch Smith SP KCR
6.4 (77) DP - Keury Mella SP CIN
6.5 (78) XI - Eric Haase C CLE
6.6 (79) UC - Thairo Estrada 2B NYY
6.7 (80) VC - Brusdar Graterol SP MIN
6.8 (81) FN - Riley Adams C TOR
6.9 (82) UP - Bryan Mata SP BOS

7.1 (83) CK - Mason House OF SD
7.2 (84) DP - Elier Hernandez OF KCR
7.3 (85) UC - Griffin Canning SP ANA
7.4 (86) UP - JoJo Romero SP PHI

8.1 (87) CK - Drew Ellis 3B ARI
8.2 (88) CK - Eduardo Diaz OF ARI
8.3 (89) DP - Franmil Reyes, OF SDP
8.4 (90) UC - Jose Lopez P CIN

9.1 (91) CK - Nicky Lopez 2B/SS KC
9.2 (92) DP - Yonathan Daza, OF COL
9.3 (93) UC - Oscar de la Cruz SP CHC

10.1 (94) CK - Logan Salow P OAK
10.2 (95) UC - Oscar Mercado OF STL

11.1 (96) CK - Brian Howard P OAK
11.2 (97) UC - Jacob Nix SP SD

12.1 (98) UC - Gabriel Arias SS SD

i'm "XI", i only had three low picks this year, with which i was pretty esoteric as usual

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

@wily mo how come Wander Franco wasn’t drafted 

too young and far away. in our system you can only keep free prospect status for three years, then you enter an arbitration system that involves counting against the salary cap and taking up a 40-man spot. 

a top teen like franco will probably get picked up midyear once the hype gets going a little more, assuming it does. then that owner will have him for three years and then probably give up and non-tender him (having wasted 3 years of a minor league spot) rather than start paying him and having to keep him on their 40-man while he's still in AA, and he'll re-enter the draft and get drafted high at that point.

that's how these things go around here. that's why guys like verdugo and willy adames are in this draft

of course sometimes those guys turn out to be a carlos correa who blows all these timeline concerns out of the water, so people keep doing it

Edited by wily mo
  • Like 1

Found this on Twitter: 

It's first-year draft rankings for dynasty rather than results, but I still think it's relevant to the topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@wily mo You are gonna regret passing on Lutz there! Steal city

I get your system, but still think Gore slipped too far. He will move quick.

Appreciate the post!

51 minutes ago, wily mo said:

too young and far away. in our system you can only keep free prospect status for three years, then you enter an arbitration system that involves counting against the salary cap and taking up a 40-man spot. 

a top teen like franco will probably get picked up midyear once the hype gets going a little more, assuming it does. then that owner will have him for three years and then probably give up and non-tender him (having wasted 3 years of a minor league spot) rather than start paying him and having to keep him on their 40-man while he's still in AA, and he'll re-enter the draft and get drafted high at that point.

that's how these things go around here. that's why guys like verdugo and willy adames are in this draft

of course sometimes those guys turn out to be a carlos correa who blows all these timeline concerns out of the water, so people keep doing it

makes sense, interesting rule. Sucks to lose someone good because you miscalculated their timetable by a year, or get lucky the other way.

Left to right each round (doesn't snake). Some leftovers, but mostly new guys. About 320 were previously owned before this draft.

OF - Luis Robert  P - MacKenzie Gore IF - Royce Lewis P - Hunter Greene P - Brendan McKay P - Kyle Wright IF - Keston Hiura  OF - Jo Adell  OF - Heliot Ramos  OF - Adam Haseley P - Alex Faedo  OF - Austin Beck P - Shane Baz  IF - Ryan Vilade OF - Brent Rooker  IF - Pavin Smith 

P - JB Bukauskas P - Nate Pearson  P - Brusdar Graterol OF - Tristen Lutz OF - Jeren Kendall  IF - Evan White C - William Contreras IF - Mark Vientos  IF - Wander Franco  IF - Jake Burger C - Daulton Varsho  P - Hans Crouse IF - Nick Pratto  IF - Yasel Antuna IF - Gabriel Arias  P - Seth Romero
P - Tanner Houck IF - Willi Castro  OF - Marcus Wilson IF - Chris Seise OF - Khalil Lee OF - Bubba Thompson P - Griffin Canning  P - David Peterson  P - Freicer Perez  IF - Sheldon Neuse OF - Seuly Matias P - Zack Burdi C - Will Smith  OF - George Valera IF - Logan Warmoth  IF - Luis Almanzar 
P - DL Hall  IF - Jeter Downs OF - Stuart Fairchild  IF - Freudis Nova OF - Drew Waters P - Luis Medina  P - Brendon Little IF - Oneil Cruz P - Kyle Cody P - Taylor Hearn OF - Nelson Velazquez  P - Jordan Hicks P - Alex Lange  IF - Kevin Merrell  OF - Jeisson Rosario  P - Trevor Rogers
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

@wily mo You are gonna regret passing on Lutz there! Steal city

I get your system, but still think Gore slipped too far. He will move quick.

Appreciate the post!

maybe. i've got a whole system worked out though. i'm letting the other guys spend all their slots fishing for the next A-ball stud, i'm going for fast turnover on pop-up guys in AA, AAA and the majors. most people don't take into account the value of how long a guy occupies a minors slot, or don't take it into account enough. i still get my share of studs this way - pham, haniger, hopefully jose martinez, etc - and in way less time

• Like 1

Someone should really get in contact with some human rights groups. Splitting a person in two can't be legal. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Someone should really get in contact with some human rights groups. Splitting a person in two can't be legal. 

ak2tuf.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We had a thread going the last couple of years with MiLB draft results for dynasty league players. I did a quick search and didn’t find a thread yet but if there is one can you please merge this with it. 

My dynasty league is a 16 team - 10 MAX minor league system. 2 Round MiLB draft every year so there aren’t a ton of prospects owned. Also, we are allowed to stash prospects but if they do not get called up before the end of the year they are put back into the player pool and eligible for the draft. I got Buehler for free but I have to work around him on my active roster til he gets a shot. Just in case some of you wondered why these guys weren’t owned. 

1st round:

1. Otani 

2. Tatis

3. Bichette

4. Whitley

5. McKay

6. Luis Robert

7. Sixto Sanchez

8. McKenzie Gore

Thats it so far

12 Team dynasty 4 sport league. 20 round MiLB draft. Pretty happy with this group.  I traded Devin Booker in basketball to get Ronald Acuna. I think my top 8 are really strong. 

1. Brendan Rodgers SS
2. Fransisco Mejia C
3. Kyle Wright P
4. Kyle Lewis OF
5. Sixto Sanchez P
6. Heliot Ramos OF
7. Michael Chavis
8. Corey Ray
9. Jon Duplantier 
10. Christian Stewart 
11. Luis Ortiz
12. Stephen Gonsalves 
13. Lazaro Armenteros 
14. Kyle Mueller
15. Dan Vogelbach
16. Jorge Ona
17. Cornelius Randolph 
18. Drew Waters 
19. Jorge Guzman
20. Ronald Acuna 

16 team regular dynasty league combined major/minor 40 round draft. I really like the top 8 then the last 5 all have solid upside. 

1. Ronald Acuna

2. Hunter Greene

3. Luiz Gohara

4. Mike Soroka

5. Sixto Sanchez

6. Franklin Barreto

7. Jesus Sanchez

8. Luis Urias

9. Ian Anderson

10. Dylan Cozens

11. Brandon Marsh

12. Brent Rooker

13. Zack Burdi (My closer situation was terrible. I'm taking a chance here)