Sign in to follow this  
Under500Forever

Nolan Arenado 2018 Outlook

I searched his name but only came across the 2017 Outlook thread. I’m Surprised one hasn’t been started yet but I could have missed it. 

Arenado is money every year and I assume we can expect another top 5 fantasy season with 40 homers/130RBI/100 runs.

Edited by Under500Forever

Arenado is money every year but I wanted to see what some dynasty league owners think about his contract with the Rockies. I was reading up on dynasty league rankings and one site said if Arenado doesn’t sign an extension with the Rockies he would go from elite to good very quickly. I just acquired Arenado in my dynasty league mid season of last year so reading this does worry me a bit. I’m not sure of his home/away splits but we all know Coors is a great place to hit. 

money will not be the deciding factor when it comes time for Arenado to make a decision.

“The opportunity to play in October every year is what I want,” he said in a phone interview. “I want a team that tries as hard as it can to make the playoffs every year.”

Asked if he saw the Rockies evolving into that kind of franchise, Arenado said, “I think so. I mean, obviously we are in a tough division when it comes to the Dodgers and the Giants. And the Diamondbacks are good, too. But I think the future is much brighter in Colorado than it’s been in the past. That excites me and makes me very aware of what’s going on here.”

That said, Arenado stressed that he does not want his career to play out as Todd Helton’s did. Helton played in Colorado for 17 seasons, became the beloved face of the franchise, had his number retired and might end up in the Hall of Fame. But Helton’s Rockies qualified for the playoff just twice, in 2007 and 2009. Arenado wants more.

There is something to be said for being with an organization for your whole career, I definitely believe in that,” Arenado said. “I admired Todd and I admired (Yankees icon) Derek Jeter; guys who stick with one team their whole career. So I have a lot of respect for what Todd did. But at the end of the day, I don’t want to be in Todd’s shoes where I only go to the playoffs twice in my career.”

Edited by Under500Forever

Arenado is a fantastic player. What I like most about him is his K% in relation to his power. His highest K% in any season was 16.5% in 2015. He's a lock for a .290+ average, 35+ HR, 100+ runs, 120+ RBI, and 2-5 stolen bases. I would like to see him walk a bit more, but 9-10% is respectable. For me, he should be the 4th player off the board, behind Trout, Altuve, and Goldy.

• Like 2

This guy who owns Nolan in my league last year going for it traded his first 4 picks in a 10 team league with 3 keepers..... I am wondering how far I should extend myself with picks to try and get this guy

7 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

This guy who owns Nolan in my league last year going for it traded his first 4 picks in a 10 team league with 3 keepers..... I am wondering how far I should extend myself with picks to try and get this guy

did you see the second post? I know its 2 years away but as a guy that just traded for Arenado about 6-7 months ago I'm a little worried he may not be with the Rockies in 2020. He seems to like Colorado but said he wants to play for a club that will make the playoffs most years. He used Todd Helton as a reference saying he respects Helton but doesn't want to play 17 years for the same ball club and only make the playoffs twice. I just wonder if his production could take a dip if he played somewhere else. 

Maybe i'm thinking to far ahead but its something to consider if your acquiring him. One site said he would go from elite to good very quickly. 

Regarding his future in Colorado, I think they'll sign him long term. He's their franchise player and they don't have much money tied up in 2020 and beyond.

They'll probably let Blackmon walk though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

He's automatic. I've had him since he was a rookie. I've won the title two out of the last three years in a twelve teamer for what that's worth. 

He's been a large part of my operation. If the guy is weak on picks, this is likely your only chance to swing a deal. 

Make an offer that's just off the fringe of insulting and see how desperate he is. Have a young player you an include that will give him someone to cheer for. Picks are numbers, assets have names. 

GL 

Traded him away the year before he became a stud.  I'd be a two time champ instead of just a one time champ had I not done that trade. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Traded him away the year before he became a stud.  I'd be a two time champ instead of just a one time champ had I not done that trade. 

I kept Will Middlebrooks over him in 2013 AND signed him to a 5 year deal...Sigh

With the humidor he's the consensus number 3 pick imo

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

did you see the second post? I know its 2 years away but as a guy that just traded for Arenado about 6-7 months ago I'm a little worried he may not be with the Rockies in 2020. He seems to like Colorado but said he wants to play for a club that will make the playoffs most years. He used Todd Helton as a reference saying he respects Helton but doesn't want to play 17 years for the same ball club and only make the playoffs twice. I just wonder if his production could take a dip if he played somewhere else. 

Maybe i'm thinking to far ahead but its something to consider if your acquiring him. One site said he would go from elite to good very quickly. 

Elite to good is a stretch. Coors obviously helps every hitter so there is no denying it would not have a positive effect not having that as your home park. Last year he hit 19 HR at home and 18 HR away. In 2015, he hit 20 HR at home and 22 HR away. I left out 2016 on purpose because he was it ruins my point with 25 HR home vs 16 HR away. The idea is, the power splits show the power translates everywhere. His batting average would take the biggest hit, he may become a .280 hitter with 40HR hitting for a contender which means massive counting stats. That to me is still 1st round talent!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lone Marlins Fan said:

Elite to good is a stretch. Coors obviously helps every hitter so there is no denying it would not have a positive effect not having that as your home park. Last year he hit 19 HR at home and 18 HR away. In 2015, he hit 20 HR at home and 22 HR away. I left out 2016 on purpose because he was it ruins my point with 25 HR home vs 16 HR away. The idea is, the power splits show the power translates everywhere. His batting average would take the biggest hit, he may become a .280 hitter with 40HR hitting for a contender which means massive counting stats. That to me is still 1st round talent!

Maybe I’m reading to much into it. As a dynasty owner, my heart sank when I read that. 

Elite ———>good is a stretch but it was tough to think about