ryno1980

Nick Pivetta 2018 Outlook

Maybe this is just who Pivetta is. It's not like he was a stud in the minors. His WHIP, ERA, K/9 were all so-so, and his k/bb has never been particularly impressive. 

His hot start was great, but maybe he's just coming back to middle...coming back to who he is. Maybe he develops into more one day, but maybe for right now he's a ~4.00 ERA pitcher with nice K/9 and a WHIP that will end up in the 1.28-1.30 range. 

I'm holding. I'll take a high ceiling over high floor type SP anyday

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Too many hitters reach base off Pivetta . He always seems to be pitching from the stretch. He K'ed 5 batters in a row last night all from the windup. Good luck with him. 

We can revisit this in a month. 

3 hours ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Too many hitters reach base off Pivetta . He always seems to be pitching from the stretch. He K'ed 5 batters in a row last night all from the windup. Good luck with him. 

Always seems to be pitching from the stretch... K'd 5 batters in a row from the windup. :lol:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Always seems to be pitching from the stretch... K'd 5 batters in a row from the windup. :lol:

Whenever Pivetta pitches from the stretch with guys on base he gets hit. Its happening a'lot lately. 

Edited by weakkneeswilly

45 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Whenever Pivetta pitches from the stretch with guys on base he gets hit. Its happening a'lot lately. 

He didn’t have command of his pitches yesterday. It happens. Every pitcher goes through it from time to time.  It was a warm sticky day and gnats were swarming the pitcher mound which had to be an element of distraction.  

With that said, pivetta is not the same pitcher as he was when he was in the minors and as recent as last year. He’s throwing the ball faster. In addition, he has gained both vertical and horizontal movement on his slider and curveball. His walk rates are lower, his whiff rates are higher.  There’s a lot to like here 

• Like 1

The K’s are nice but his batted ball data is not.

11 hours ago, 9703 said:

The K’s are nice but his batted ball data is not.

I'm confused. What in his batted ball data is bad? He's has a 2% increase in his FB%, but other than that there's nothing negative. In fact he's reduced his hard hit% by 6 %.

19 minutes ago, pjoner said:

start or bench tonight?

If you still have him on your roster, I'd start him. Guessing 6IP, 3ER, 6SO and maybe give up 1 HR.

doesnt have great numbers against stl or wash (given small sample size).  hasnt gone for more than 5 ip in four straight starts.  head is telling me to sit, heart wants the double start in my weekly league....

C'mon fellas.

Fess up if you dropped him.

Nicky P is ranked #21 on Razzball.Who drops that??

It's probably going to be a bumpy ride this year, but if he stays healthy it's an exciting keeper/dynasty asset. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's probably going to be a bumpy ride this year, but if he stays healthy it's an exciting keeper/dynasty asset. 

I agree, to those of us who watch the games its clear he has good stuff. He needs polish and better command. If he matures a bit he's going to be pretty damn good. He's the epitome if an upside SP IMO. Not a sure thing but why not hold a guy like this?

He has the kind of upside to put you over the top if he figures it out. Until then he'll be up and down, but 100% still a must start unless you play with a bunch of jokers in a free public league.

The best highlight of the night was the curveballs pivetta threw to munoz in the 5th. Munoz whiffed on two curveballs and then stood there and watched the third curveball called as a strike. He said f*** that and didn’t even bother swinging. 😂😂

• Like 1

Friggin Kapler brings him out in the 8th with 90 something pitches. Proceeds to give up a bloop and a double off the wall, after retiring the first batter in the eighth. Is Kapler purposely trying to blow this kids arm out?

Which pivetta will show up next up Sunday night at Washington?

38 minutes ago, Chickie said:

Friggin Kapler brings him out in the 8th with 90 something pitches. Proceeds to give up a bloop and a double off the wall, after retiring the first batter in the eighth. Is Kapler purposely trying to blow this kids arm out?

90 something pitches is a lot?  I don't see anything wrong with giving him another inning in this scenario.

Dude Ked 13 tonight. Kap hooks him with under 100 pitches and he's not getting out of South Philadelphia alive. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShaneMT31 said:

90 something pitches is a lot?  I don't see anything wrong with giving him another inning in this scenario.

He was at 97 pitches after 7 fwiw.  

3 hours ago, Chickie said:

2 hours ago, ShaneMT31 said:

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Dude Ked 13 tonight. Kap hooks him with under 100 pitches and he's not getting out of South Philadelphia alive. 

with the way he looked, wasn't surprising to see him go back out there at 97. I was shocked after giving up a hit and turning over the line-up card at 100+ he didn't get pulled though. When Carp came back up I thought for sure he was gone. 

16 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Which pivetta will show up next up Sunday night at Washington?

On the road, lotta LH bats in WAS lineup...i would think he'll have mediocre outing, mebbe give back a few points to we weekly guys but could be QS too. It will be interesting to see how he does for sure.