ryno1980

Nick Pivetta 2018 Outlook

So far, the reports from Spring Training have matched the results.  I suspect there will be some clunkers along with way, if mechanics go off slightly, but it would seem we are in the midst of a breakout.  Good SP3 upside this year, with potential for more, but I do think they will try and limits his IPs.

Posted (edited)

He's had one "meh" start so far, the rest have been rock solid, all pitches working. Nice movement on his FB, new breaking stuff has excellent bite. Havent heard anything about an innings cap from the Philly media or team...

Edited by rrrrich46

He pitches over 160 ip last year , there is no cap. If he pitches 200 ip and it’s even discussed, that’s probably going to be more innings than all but maybe 2 players on your fantasy team.

Basically, worrying about a cap in this instance is somewhat laughable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He pitches over 160 ip last year , there is no cap. If he pitches 200 ip and it’s even discussed, that’s probably going to be more innings than all but maybe 2 players on your fantasy team.

Basically, worrying about a cap in this instance is somewhat laughable.

Sorry guys, I saw the 130IP last year but didn't realize he also threw another 30 in the minors.  Agree, it's unlikely there is a limit, just have to worry about Good ol' Kapler and his quick-hook.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Sorry guys, I saw the 130IP last year but didn't realize he also threw another 30 in the minors.  Agree, it's unlikely there is a limit, just have to worry about Good ol' Kapler and his quick-hook.

I'd probably even say that if he pitched 130 last year it's nothing to worry about. Your $1, late round ww pickup throwing "only" 160-170 ip is nothing to worry about, especially I'm this era.

Other than like Strasburg and maybe one other instance Im forgetting, innings limits have rarely impacted fantasy leagues.

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd probably even say that if he pitched 130 last year it's nothing to worry about. Your $1, late round ww pickup throwing "only" 160-170 ip is nothing to worry about, especially I'm this era.

Other than like Strasburg and maybe one other instance Im forgetting, innings limits have rarely impacted fantasy leagues.

Pivetta is Strasburg. Confirmed. 😀

• Haha 1

Pivetta's hot start can be traced to a number of improvements in his curveball, The Athletic Philadelphia reports.

The curve has improved in just about every way possible. It's now dropping by 10 inches after dropping just 5.7 inches last year. Its horizontal movement is up from 3.3 inches to 6.3 inches. Pivetta's now throwing it at 80 mph after it averaged 77 mph in the first half of 2017. The changes stem from a change in grip after he decided to copy the spiked grip used by teammate Aaron Nola. Pivetta has also quieted his hands during his windup, which has helped not just the curve but also his overall command, and he's now walking just 3.6 percent of the batters he faces. Pivetta's 2.57 ERA seems at first glance easy to dismiss as a small-sample fluke after his 6.02 ERA last year, but changes in the curve seem to be driving a legitimately improved performance from the young righty, and his 2.28 FIP backs up the idea that he's deserved his excellent results

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Very unfortunate second inning.  Ump squeezing him and he gives up an infield single and then Santana fools around on the pitcher's bunt and his slow throw let's him make it.  He's pitching well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lightning Bat said:

Anyone else throwing him out there  against Washington?

YUP cause I'm an idiot and my ratios are already crap this week. Hoping he can get me a QS without too much damage, but being honest the Nats are looking good the last few days... so if I get 5IP with 4ER and 5Ks I'll be good.

9 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

YUP cause I'm an idiot and my ratios are already crap this week. Hoping he can get me a QS without too much damage, but being honest the Nats are looking good the last few days... so if I get 5IP with 4ER and 5Ks I'll be good.

Looking good against...the Pirates?  And 2 out of those 4 games they only scored 3 runs.

Throwing him out there, expecting a good game.

I'm starting him and feel fairly confident. His stuff has looked like a solid #2/#3 SP so far...

15 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Looking good against...the Pirates?  And 2 out of those 4 games they only scored 3 runs.

Throwing him out there, expecting a good game.

Does that matter who they were against? When a team is winning then they are looking good. Teams dont need to score 8+ a game. They've won a few on a row with some higher scores games in there. 

Smh

Just now, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Does that matter who they were against? When a team is winning then they are looking good. Teams dont need to score 8+ a game. They've won a few on a row with some higher scores games in there. 

Smh

Nope absolutely not.  The pitchers they face have absolutely no impact on how good a team performs.  It's the same facing Chad Kuhl as it is Max Scherzer.

Smh

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I am throwing him out there too. Hoping for the best. 

Everyone else seems to be getting gems from nobodies, might as well gamble on this guy. 

I am sitting him today, but only because for the first time this year my ratios look good this late in the week. While I think he could have success today, the Nats still scare me enough to bench him. Even though I won't be playing him, I'm really hoping we see a great performance today.

The nats are hot against rights the last 14 days so I'm benching

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Nope absolutely not.  The pitchers they face have absolutely no impact on how good a team performs.  It's the same facing Chad Kuhl as it is Max Scherzer.

Smh

Are you kidding? So when a team puts up 11 runs you discount it because it's not Scherzer? Looooooool

Nats with 37r in their last 2 series (7 games)

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

35 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Are you kidding? So when a team puts up 11 runs you discount it because it's not Scherzer? Looooooool

Nats with 37r in their last 2 series (7 games)

I’ll bet anyone and everyone that the Nats don’t get a single hit off of Scherzer this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15MPH winds straight out, the first hot and humid day of the year in DC.I'm not touching this one.When the afternoon storms start popping up the ball wants to leave the park.I'd stream any Nats hitters available.

29 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I like to live dangerously, definitely starting him!

R.I.P. my friend lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Von Hayes said:

I’ll bet anyone and everyone that the Nats don’t get a single hit off of Scherzer this season.

Was a bit besides my point but you get it hha