ryno1980

Nick Pivetta 2018 Outlook

He gets Miami next.  I am still holding.  

On 7/23/2018 at 5:47 AM, Cdub2k said:

This is reminding me of Robbie Ray 2016. He absolutely killed my ERA and Whip for my NL only Team and he didn't even win 10 games. 

That makes me feel really good about having him in a keeper league.

I’ve been a huge Pivetta apologist all year, and I don’t have much for this one other than a couple HR killed him. However, he either got the K or gave up hard contact. It may be a year early on Mr Pivetta. Still a buy in long term keepers/dynasty. Possibly the best time to buy actually. 

Edited by mavsfan23

As I’ve stated previously, take a look at other stats then fip and xfip and say a guy is underperforming. Pivetta has major platoon splits. Lefties are hitting .308 avg 375 obp .475 slug. 

Pivetta gave up a 3 run bomb to Mason Williams tonight. I bet 95% of the fantasy community don’t even know who that is. In case you were wondering, he bats left handed.

Until pivetta corrects those platoon splits he will not take the next step as an elite pitcher. 

• Like 3

Another bomb by a lefty (Bour) accounting for both the runs scored, but overall a good night v Miami. Went 6ip, 4h, 2er, 7k without a walk. 

Im still a believer in him long term and to have a strong second half. He has really good stuff and is a top 10-15 strikeout arm in the game. He needs to sequence bettter to lefties and keep his fastball away from the barrel a bit more.

I think his main problem is that he has kind of a Pineda / Samardzija thing going on where he pounds the zone too much and gets burned.  Phils broadcast showed that he has a higher strike percentage than Nola this season.  You don't want a guy walking the lineup but sometimes it's not a bad idea to put a tough batter on (particularly a lefty with power like Bour) and go get the next guy.  Especially with a Marlins lineup made up of a bunch of spare parts.

41/4, K/BB over his last 5 starts including tonight. Also a low 2ish FIP, I’m guessing, after this start, during his last 5. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 8:58 AM, urban2014 said:

Can't start vs Red Sox next week though 

anyone else benching?

2 minutes ago, pjoner said:

anyone else benching?

yeah.  weekly league.  cant pull the trigger on starting him....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pjoner said:

anyone else benching?

Is anyone playing in a league so deep they're actually starting?   I like the kid and the ks but this one is about the easiest sit of the year for me

25 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Is anyone playing in a league so deep they're actually starting?   I like the kid and the ks but this one is about the easiest sit of the year for me

No bench, so he’ll be out there for my squad. Other than that scenario, I doubt he’s started in many leagues. 

18 hours ago, pjoner said:

anyone else benching?

I'm starting in a weekly, considering he's got the Mets up next at home. The game tonight is home w/o a DH, besides to my knowledge the Red Sox haven't faced him at all. Not your ideal start but sometimes you get lucky. Pivetta is always on tap for a boatload of Ks.

3 hours ago, chucky said:

I'm starting in a weekly, considering he's got the Mets up next at home. The game tonight is home w/o a DH, besides to my knowledge the Red Sox haven't faced him at all. Not your ideal start but sometimes you get lucky. Pivetta is always on tap for a boatload of Ks.

Their lineup is the same lineup that they always have. Only difference is Bradley Jr is sitting and the pitcher is hitting. You think that will mak a huge difference?

I think the only hope is his last start was when the figured something out and he’s realizing his potential. Unfortunately that’s not likely, and even then it could be rough against that ridiculous lineup. 

1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

Their lineup is the same lineup that they always have. Only difference is Bradley Jr is sitting and the pitcher is hitting. You think that will mak a huge difference?

We’re just about to find out, aren’t we? 

He's a sit for me too, but thats more on the Red Sox thean Pivetta. Only so many pitchers you feel good about starting against Boston, and even then you cant be too disappointed if they get shallacked. 

No outcome in this game would surprise me honestly, he has the skills to have a great game as well. 

6 IP, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 hits, 6 Ks no decision against the best offense in baseball. Obviously none of these fringey mixed league guys are matchup proof, but you really have to trust the talent and hope for the best when they are on their game. 

8 minutes ago, jbj said:

6 IP, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 hits, 6 Ks no decision against the best offense in baseball. Obviously none of these fringey mixed league guys are matchup proof, but you really have to trust the talent and hope for the best when they are on their game. 

Worked out this week. Surprising that he only was 83 pitches in too. Very impressive against this offense.  I still think that thinking might be too results oriented. Had he got blown up, would you still say that?  He pitched a good game, and I dont really regret sitting him.

That being said, props to all the ones who gambled here. 

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Worked out this week. Surprising that he only was 83 pitches in too. Very impressive against this offense.  I still think that thinking might be too results oriented. Had he got blown up, would you still say that?  He pitched a good game, and I dont really regret sitting him.

That being said, props to all the ones who gambled here. 

I haven’t sat him yet, but I am in a daily points league so it is obviously a different story. When he is getting as many strikeouts as he is with as nice of a FIP as he has, I will keep trusting him no matter how many times he gets the L or the occasional clunker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbj said:

I haven’t sat him yet, but I am in a daily points league so it is obviously a different story. When he is getting as many strikeouts as he is with as nice of a FIP as he has, I will keep trusting him no matter how many times he gets the L or the occasional clunker. 

Different formats certainly help. In a H2H or points league, there's less risk. In a tight roto race or IP limits league, much more risk in that kind of start.

4 hours ago, Chickie said:

We’re just about to find out, aren’t we? 

How’d that work out? Trust your studs. Whether he’s a stud is debatable, ok I get that. He’s a stud, trust me. Not sure if start him in Colorado.