ryno1980

Nick Pivetta 2018 Outlook

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

I’m not a newcomb believer as much as others. It primarily comes down to walks. Still think he’s good but this hot streak as good as t has been hasn’t convinced me yet that he’s not a complete wild card.

Then why is Pivetta better? I'm thinking it's because of his higher K/BB ration (53/11), as opposed to Newcomb's (53/22). Like you alluded to. But are there any more reasons? I'm actively searching for confirmation bias ;)

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Some amount of credit has to be given to the free-swinging Orioles lineup, but Pivetta's arsenal just looks so crisp right now that I'm willing to trust him in less favorable matchups.  The K juice is one thing, but the way he's limiting walks and hard contact is very encouraging.  Really looks like he's turned a corner.  He's got a much tougher test against Atlanta next week, who's seeing him for the fourth time already, and roughed him up in two of the three matchups so far.  I'll be sitting where I own him, but watching with interest to see if he can keep it going.

The Orioles with their heavy rhb tilt and lack of plate discipline play right into Pivetta's strengths.  The Braves with quality lhbs like Freeman, Markakis, Albies, are the opposite. 

Pivetta (assuming he's fresh,  etc) would likely do well against high quality but heavy rhb lineups like LAA, SEA, COL, OAK, and even the Yankees on the right day.   I could see him struggling though against a team like Cleveland, Minny, LAD, or even Texas. 

14 minutes ago, taobball said:

I’m not a newcomb believer as much as others. It primarily comes down to walks. Still think he’s good but this hot streak as good as t has been hasn’t convinced me yet that he’s not a complete wild card.

Newcomb's command has really taken a HUGE leap forward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Newcomb's command has really taken a HUGE leap forward.

I haven’t gotten to see much of his recent stretch will have to

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

I haven’t gotten to see much of his recent stretch will have to

You'll be pleasantly surprised. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Are we all starting Pivetta tonight against the Braves?

Too many good lefties for me.  Good luck to you brave folks,  he's not set n forget for me yet though.  Hopefully he mows em down and we worry less going fwd

15 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Too many good lefties for me.  Good luck to you brave folks,  he's not set n forget for me yet though.  Hopefully he mows em down and we worry less going fwd

It's a conundrum when you own both the SP and three hitters in the opposing lineup. :wacko:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It's a conundrum when you own both the SP and three hitters in the opposing lineup. :wacko:

In h2h, if you're a never bench on Monday then i guess do your thing.  I prefer not starting my week in a giant hole,  but i get it.  Roto i think he's a pretty easy sit.  Lotta season left

in daily's i think he's a pretty easy bench tonight.

in weekly leagues i think it's a different story.. 

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

in daily's i think he's a pretty easy bench tonight.

in weekly leagues i think it's a different story.. 

This.  Weekly roto just can’t ignore the 2 starts.  Rolling him out there and hoping for the best....

• Like 1

I'm in a weekly and rolling him out. Upside outweighs one *possible* meh outing. 

If he is as good as his stuff can be tonight, watch out! 

• Like 2

He's pitched three times against Atlanta already this season...one good start and two bad (but not awful) starts. He has 14 IP against the Braves...5.14 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, 11 K. So it's not like the Braves have destroyed him in any start this season, and I don't really expect them to do so tonight. 

I have Pivetta in a daily roto league, and while I see some say he's an easy sit in daily roto, I say he's an easy start. The Braves haven't blasted him in any of his three starts, and he actually had a 5 IP, 1 ER performance on April 17 in Atlanta. Personally, I say it's worth starting him in case he pitches well enough to get a quality start or even a win and a decent number of Ks. As someone else said, it's a long season in roto...so if he goes 5 innings and gives up 4 ER again, there is plenty of season left to absorb that. 

14 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Who's starting against ATL?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

I'm in for better or worse, let's go young blood.

Atlanta's lineup looks scary, but I never bench anyone with this K upside on the first day of a weekly matchup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Approaching must own territory ??

I'd say at the very least he's a top 50 pitcher right now.  So, are the top 50 pitchers no doubt owned in your league?

On 5/4/2018 at 4:56 PM, Rick Simon said:

You didn’t watch, did you?  I ask because there was nothing about that start that was encouraging. I usually don’t like to give up on guys but after today there’s zero chance I’d ever be able to trust him again

Since Rick Simon could never trust him again.

DATE OPP IP H ER BB K DEC
5/21 Atl 6.0 4 0 0 6  
5/16 @Bal 7.0 2 1 1 11 W
5/9 SF 5.0 4 0 0 7 W
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pivetta looked great against the best offense in baseball. He only walked one batter in 7 innings, which is certainly not the norm for young pitchers. 

Sign me up for 7-4-0-1-7 anytime, especially against the Braves lineup. It seems like he's faced them a million times already this year.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Pivetta looked great against the best offense in baseball. He only walked one batter in 7 innings, which is certainly not the norm for young pitchers. 

Done for the day now I'm assuming? I hope so, I'm too paranoid about a late inning blow up to undo his stellar work.

Anyway this is why you don't bench pitchers on a Monday in H2H guys. Especially one that's just come off two consecutive very good starts.

22 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Approaching must own territory ??

Lookin like it. I seen Razzball has him ranked 26th and that was before todays gem.

Edited by TTRA1N

Made atlanta look bad today.  And baltimore last week.  Both very good lineups.

I would start him everywhere but @yankees @fenway