urban2014

C.J. Anderson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Looks to be done with Denver. Dont blame him, the fascination with Booker is a hassle

Possibly just a ploy to get CJ to take a pay cut to remain.

• Like 1

Wasn’t his contract all front loaded anyway? They need to get that DeAngelo Henderson kid some more touches. Haven’t seen anything out of Booker leading me to believe he can carry the load

• Like 3

Dumb move by Denver in my opinion.  CJ is by far their best all around back.

• Like 2

Nothing is written in stone yet,  he’s the kind of guy that would love to retire a bronco if it’s in the cards.     Smartest offensive player in the room and very underrated in general. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Denver really is desperate for cash.  If they’re going to land Cousins they’re going to need to break the bank.  That’s why I’m surprised about the rumors that they’re keeping both Sanders and Thomas...

Elway is one of those guys that doesn’t want to admit mistakes... Thomas’s contact was a mistake.

Interesting stat: Sammy Watkins has the highest completion % in the league.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=16&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

• Like 1

^Thomas’s contract 100% was a mistake but there has been rumblings of Sanders being gone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seanismorris said:

Denver really is desperate for cash.  If they’re going to land Cousins they’re going to need to break the bank.  That’s why I’m surprised about the rumors that they’re keeping both Sanders and Thomas...

Elway is one of those guys that doesn’t want to admit mistakes... Thomas’s contact was a mistake.

Interesting stat: Sammy Watkins has the highest completion % in the league.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=16&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Guaranteed they have no shot at Cousins if they cut DT and Sanders.

DT has basically been a 1000 yard receiver annually despite having arguably the worst QB in the league since the middle of 2014. He's been slightly overpaid, but they did win it all the season after they paid him, and he helped carry Osweiler and washed up Peyton most of that year. 

Edited by joshua18
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

He's paid a bare bones salary that he definitely over earns. 

The Broncos are trash and trying to blame the only bright spot for Vance Joseph's stupidity. 

I knew he wasn't smart when he took over the #1 defense and immediately fired Wade Phillips. How's the rams D doing this year? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He's paid a bare bones salary that he definitely over earns. 

The Broncos are trash and trying to blame the only bright spot for Vance Joseph's stupidity. 

I knew he wasn't smart when he took over the #1 defense and immediately fired Wade Phillips. How's the rams D doing this year? 

Vance Joseph = Hue Jackson

Though we might have to blame Elway for Wade Phillips leaving...

When I saw Phillips was gone my response was WTF???

Some people still like Thomas, I like Sanders (no he’s not a WR1) but then drops REALLY bug me...

• Like 2

If CJ does leave Denver and lands somewhere decent, he could emerge from a committee to be pretty valuable somewhere with a half-way decent O line.

He already emerged from the committee there, though.  If they just continued using him the way they did at the end of last season, he would be a locked-in RB1.

• Like 2

From CBS

Anderson finished the season with 1,007 yards and three touchdowns on 245 carries and 28 catches for 224 yards and a touchdown during the 2017 season. He lost one fumble on the year.

Anderson set career highs in touches and yards in 2017, a product of finally managing to avoid nagging injuries through an entire season. Head coach Vance Joseph has complimented Anderson's endurance and the shape he has been in all season and prioritized getting Anderson to his first 1,000-yard rushing season during the closing weeks of 2017. Anderson did well to bounce back from an injury-shortened 2016 and was often the most dependable weapon in a dull Denver attack. Still, it's more likely than not that Anderson's 1,000-yard campaign will be used to audition for another team. Anderson is owed $4.5 million next season and Denver does not owe him anything if he's cut. With a new position coach and young, up-and-coming potential replacements in Devontae Booker and De'Angelo Henderson, the Broncos can probably find a more effective way to spend that $4.5 million.

I think $4.5 million is a fair number for Anderson.  But Booker is still on his rookie contact...

Denver is going cheap.

I'm starting to question Elway with decisions like these.  Why would you replace a 1000-yard rusher with a JAG?  And get rid of your two best receivers too when the rest of the group has also shown next to nothing?  Elway looks like he's going for a full rebuild, but you actually have to be able to draft for that, and he's had more misses than hits as of late.

Also, didn't like the Joseph hire from day 1 and he only validated it more every week after week 3.  Totally incompetent

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

I'm starting to question Elway with decisions like these.  Why would you replace a 1000-yard rusher with a JAG?  And get rid of your two best receivers too when the rest of the group has also shown next to nothing?  Elway looks like he's going for a full rebuild, but you actually have to be able to draft for that, and he's had more misses than hits as of late.

Also, didn't like the Joseph hire from day 1 and he only validated it more every week after week 3.  Totally incompetent

Elway has been a poor evaluator of talent in the draft.  His most glaring mistakes have been at QB, which should have been his strengths.

Elway has been better at the free agency, but that’s pretty much recognizing what’s in front of you.  He doesn’t appear to be able to find “diamonds in the ruff” like other good GMs.

Elways claim to fame is outbidding the competition on Manning, who was already on the path to the HOF.  I do give him credit for building an excellent defense, but that resulted in an offense that was $$$ neglected.  He now has to let Telib go, and it looks like CJ as well.  Denver is looking at a major rebuild under a coach that looks lost.

From a cash perspective, it might be the right decision to cut CJ but Booker looks like a downgrade.  I hope Booker makes up for it in the passing game, but the sample size is to small to tell.

The FA should be very interesting...  I’m leaning away from adding Cousins and spending the money elsewhere (o line) and drafting a QB.  I don’t see Denver competitive this year anyways...

4 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Elway has been a poor evaluator of talent in the draft.  His most glaring mistakes have been at QB, which should have been his strengths.

Elway has been better at the free agency, but that’s pretty much recognizing what’s in front of you.  He doesn’t appear to be able to find “diamonds in the ruff” like other good GMs.

Elways claim to fame is outbidding the competition on Manning, who was already on the path to the HOF.  I do give him credit for building an excellent defense, but that resulted in an offense that was $$$ neglected.  He now has to let Telib go, and it looks like CJ as well.  Denver is looking at a major rebuild under a coach that looks lost.

From a cash perspective, it might be the right decision to cut CJ but Booker looks like a downgrade.  I hope Booker makes up for it in the passing game, but the sample size is to small to tell.

The FA should be very interesting...  I’m leaning away from adding Cousins and spending the money elsewhere (o line) and drafting a QB.  I don’t see Denver competitive this year anyways...

Disagree. Chris Harris Jr is the definition of diamond in the rough. Plus most thought he overpaid for Sanders prior to 2014 -- which he clearly didn't. 

A lot of that historically great 2015 defense was comprised of late round picks...that's the sign of a great GM. 

He screwed up the QB (and remember he offered Osweiler $16 mil/yr), but they have a good roster. Things turn around quickly in this league. They should get Tyrod if they lose the Cousins sweepstakes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Disagree. Chris Harris Jr is the definition of diamond in the rough. Plus most thought he overpaid for Sanders prior to 2014 -- which he clearly didn't. 

A lot of that historically great 2015 defense was comprised of late round picks...that's the sign of a great GM. 

He screwed up the QB (and remember he offered Osweiler $16 mil/yr), but they have a good roster. Things turn around quickly in this league. They should get Tyrod if they lose the Cousins sweepstakes.

Exactly.   It’s the popular narrative to dismiss Elway’s drafting as poor and the primary cause of Denver’s downfall.    Flat out incorrect.   His 54 draft picks since 2011 have combined for 33 games played which is 4th best in the NFL.    While drafting from an average spot of 18th.   Guys like Malik Jackson, Trevathian, Harris, Stewart, Von, Roby, Simmons ..and guys who are showing improvement but have yet to make a big impact because of injury: Shane Ray, Shaq Barrett, Adam Gotsis.  Notice how most of these are defensive players-  which is the real problem.   

http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/sports/numbers-say-elways-draft-production-among-nfls-best/73-494620918

Edited by Impreza178

Rebuttal 

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Broncos-have-fourth-worst-draft-record-since-2012-51800064

I don’t disagree on the defense, but a number of Denver’s ‘great’ defensive picks have moved on.  And, Elway hasn’t picked well recently.  Sanders (who I do like) was a FA signing.  Elway has especially terrible at drafting QB’s.  I hear Gary Kubiak will be helping evaluate in this draft... that’s not an accident.

Broncos fans won’t be impressed until the offense is fixed.  Drafting Lynch was a huge embarrassment.  

It looks like FA will have a significant number of talented backs.  I’m watching Anderson, Crowell, Lewis & Hyde.  

Edited by seanismorris
  • Like 2

Sounds like a leaked negotiation ploy. If he does leave DEN,  MIA is a likely destination since he has history with Gase and Studsville. 

• Like 1

Please come to Detroit.  Dude is the perfect fit for what the Lions need at RB and would make a great RB2 for fantasy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Sounds like a leaked negotiation ploy. If he does leave DEN,  MIA is a likely destination since he has history with Gase and Studsville. 

MIA seems to be the #1 destination for CJ.  CJ’s current contract was designed by MIA and matched by DEN.

I’m not a fan of the negotiation ploy theory.  CJ’s contract was front loaded.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Analysis-Why-the-Broncos-matched-Miamis-offer-for-CJ-Anderson/da72fa3d-f53e-4686-853a-d39047f09ff9

38 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Please come to Detroit.  Dude is the perfect fit for what the Lions need at RB and would make a great RB2 for fantasy.

Detroit is going to a top destination suggested for all FA running backs.  The Lions haven’t drafted a good RB for a looooog time.  If I was going to bet on one it would be Dion Lewis to the Lions.  Lewis seems to be a bit higher in the duel threat than CJ.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

I’m not a fan of the negotiation ploy theory.  CJ’s contract was front loaded.

Still not buying it as anything else but a thinly veiled ploy. The leaked statement "DEN wants Booker as starter" just rings hollow. Sounds more like a committee brewing. And besides that I like the Henderson kid better. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having CJA back at a lower salary but most likely he'll move on. Experienced, versatile and proven backs at $4MM per are in demand and he'll be able to get more than DEN is willing to pay. 

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

Still not buying it as anything else but a thinly veiled ploy. The leaked statement "DEN wants Booker as starter" just rings hollow. Sounds more like a committee brewing. And besides that I like the Henderson kid better. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having CJA back at a lower salary but most likely he'll move on. Experienced, versatile and proven backs at $4MM per are in demand and he'll be able to get more than DEN is willing to pay. 

I live in Colorado and hear all the time (on the sports radio) about the teams love affair with Booker.  Usually they’re saying “just give CJ the dam ball”...

I did watch Henderson in the preseason, he deserves more work.  There is also J. Charles on the roster, though he might be a free agent.

RB is far down the list of the Broncos problems, it’s only under discussion because of Elway trying to scrape together enough cash for Cousins.  They’d be stupid to cut CJ, but that seems par for the course lately.  Same for Talib...

Denver should draft their guy, keep their veterans (CJ, etc.) and use Tyrod as the stopgap.

• Like 2