urban2014

C.J. Anderson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

On 7/15/2018 at 12:18 AM, Milton Bradleys said:

Now factor in Cam's rushing ability and this ground game may be even more productive than the 2017 Saints.

 

50 minutes ago, TPowell said:

I agree with that logic fully but more productive than the 2017 Saints?...

 

On 7/15/2018 at 4:34 AM, joshua18 said:

Only problem with that comparison is that the NO OL is elite, while CAR's is below average (and lost by far their best player in FA).

 

Despite popular belief, Carolina's ground game was already more productive than the Saints' in 2017.  CAR ranked 4th in the league for rushing yards per game, for a total of 2,102 on the year.  The Saints weren't far behind, but they were behind.  So considering Ingrams suspension, the addition of CJA, etc, it seems rather clear that CAR should continue to be more productive on the ground than NO.  NO might be more efficient, but CAR wins in quantity, so Oline really isn't as much of a factor as people want to pretend.  Obviously a better oline is always preferred, but the actual issue at hand, is that Cam Newton out rushed Kamara, CMC, J.Stew, and CJA last year, so the CAR backfield is split up much more drastically than the Saints.  Having said that, NO was 4th in the league in points scored last year, 29 TDs to the backfield (CAR 22) I'll take the under.  Drew Brees threw only 23 which is the lowest he's ever thrown for in his New Orleans career, I'll take the over.  Brees also threw the lowest amount of yards, and interceptions of his NO career, combined with the highest completion rate of his life.  The NO offense had a handful of outliers, betting on a repeat would be unwise, but a reasonable regression shouldn't drastically alter the RB value too much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Charlotte Observer's Jourdan Rodrigue predicts Christian McCaffrey's carry total "won’t go up by much."

McCaffrey carried the ball 117 times as a rookie, and there was hope his role as a runner would expand following a strong finish to the season -- he averaged 4.7 yards per carry over his final eight games. Rodrigue expects new-addition C.J. Anderson to be the "traditional running back," however, leaving McCaffrey in a similar role to the one he occupied as a rookie. That role did allow him to finish as the RB16 in standard leagues last season, and Rodrigue thinks he can be even more productive as a receiver this year. Still, that is probably close to his ceiling if he does not get more involved on the ground.
 
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

 

 

 

Despite popular belief, Carolina's ground game was already more productive than the Saints' in 2017.  CAR ranked 4th in the league for rushing yards per game, for a total of 2,102 on the year.  The Saints weren't far behind, but they were behind.  So considering Ingrams suspension, the addition of CJA, etc, it seems rather clear that CAR should continue to be more productive on the ground than NO.  NO might be more efficient, but CAR wins in quantity, so Oline really isn't as much of a factor as people want to pretend.  Obviously a better oline is always preferred, but the actual issue at hand, is that Cam Newton out rushed Kamara, CMC, J.Stew, and CJA last year, so the CAR backfield is split up much more drastically than the Saints.  Having said that, NO was 4th in the league in points scored last year, 29 TDs to the backfield (CAR 22) I'll take the under.  Drew Brees threw only 23 which is the lowest he's ever thrown for in his New Orleans career, I'll take the over.  Brees also threw the lowest amount of yards, and interceptions of his NO career, combined with the highest completion rate of his life.  The NO offense had a handful of outliers, betting on a repeat would be unwise, but a reasonable regression shouldn't drastically alter the RB value too much.

 

The CAR rushing stats are skewed because Cam is their leader in rushing and rushing TDs. Simply not comparable from a RB standpoint (which is what we care about) with NO. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Cam in tow and CJ having handled a full load only once, I don't get the appeal of him other than as a handcuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he's a fantastic pick but he did have over 1000 yards last year (his most in his career). Christian isn't going to get all the carries and it seems the panthers have already made that pretty clear. Stewart got ~200 carries last year and Anderson is a better player at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see 200 carries + a good number of tds +  a low number of receptions. Hes probably a serviceable rb3 imo. Would feel safer with him as my rb4 tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magoo said:

With Cam in tow and CJ having handled a full load only once, I don't get the appeal of him other than as a handcuff.  

How is a starting RB a handcuff?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ajs723 said:

How is a starting RB a handcuff?

 

 

For the reasons I alluded to.  He's not scoring regular TDs in that offense and did barely anything with a full opportunity and cake schedules while in Denver.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Magoo said:

For the reasons I alluded to.  He's not scoring regular TDs in that offense and did barely anything with a full opportunity and cake schedules while in Denver.   

Then you don't like the situation/player. That's fine. Regardless though, he's NOT a handcuff.

 

"A fantasy handcuff is a backup that will likely take over for a team's starter in the event of an injury."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ajs723 said:

Then you don't like the situation/player. That's fine. Regardless though, he's NOT a handcuff.

 

"A fantasy handcuff is a backup that will likely take over for a team's starter in the event of an injury."

I think we may be both right in this hair splitting instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I think we may be both right in this hair splitting instance.

Again, you can think the guy sucks, but it's just wrong to call him a handcuff. It doesn't make sense. The idea of a handcuff is that they are behind a starter, and have value as a replacement for that starter. Anderson not only is the starter, but his value probably wouldn't really change if CMC got hurt. Literally no part of the handcuff equation applies to CJ. 

 

So yeah, you don't have to like the value of the player, but "handcuff" is just an inaccurate word choice here.

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Again, you can think the guy sucks, but it's just wrong to call him a handcuff. It doesn't make sense. The idea of a handcuff is that they are behind a starter, and have value as a replacement for that starter. Anderson not only is the starter, but his value probably wouldn't really change if CMC got hurt. Literally no part of the handcuff equation applies to CJ. 

 

So yeah, you don't have to like the value of the player, but "handcuff" is just an inaccurate word choice here.

I bet if you asked people who draft CMC why they would subsequently draft CJA they would say in order to handcuff him

 

Oh and there's the whole CMC listed as the starter on the depth chart, rendering you WRONG by your own definition. 

 

Keep trying

Edited by Magoo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magoo said:

I bet if you asked people who draft CMC why they would subsequently draft CJA they would say in order to handcuff him

 

Oh and there's the whole CMC listed as the starter on the depth chart, rendering you WRONG by your own definition. 

 

Keep trying

I will. 

 

CJ Anderson is the starting running back for the 2018 Panthers.

 

CMC has a big role as a pass catching back. 

 

If CMC were to get hurt, CJ would probably see a slight uptick in usage, but someone (probably CAP) would be mixed in too. Same thing if CJ were to get hurt. These are two guys with different roles. All I'm doing is factually stating that this isn't a starter/handcuff situation. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe CJ Anderson is the handcuff to McCaffrey in the receiving back role, while Anderson is the starter in the early down and goal-line role.

 

But is that really a handcuff?  Probably not.

 

A handcuff would be DeAngelo Williams behind Le'veon Bell from a few years back.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Maybe CJ Anderson is the handcuff to McCaffrey in the receiving back role, while Anderson is the starter in the early down and goal-line role.

 

But is that really a handcuff?  Probably not.

 

A handcuff would be DeAngelo Williams behind Le'veon Bell from a few years back.

 

 

CMC received a significant amount of goal line carries and passes.  So to automatically call Anderson the starter in the goal line role is laziness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like cja waay more at his adp than mcaffrey I don't really care about the starters and handcuffs here 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I like cja waay more at his adp than mcaffrey I don't really care about the starters and handcuffs here 

Definitely a good price on CJA but would you actually start him in your flex over say a Jordy Nelson? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Definitely a good price on CJA but would you actually start him in your flex over say a Jordy Nelson? 

Absolutely

 

throw out a few others 

Edited by bhawks489

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the_dying_dream said:

The Charlotte Observer's Jourdan Rodrigue predicts Christian McCaffrey's carry total "won’t go up by much."

McCaffrey carried the ball 117 times as a rookie, and there was hope his role as a runner would expand following a strong finish to the season -- he averaged 4.7 yards per carry over his final eight games. Rodrigue expects new-addition C.J. Anderson to be the "traditional running back," however, leaving McCaffrey in a similar role to the one he occupied as a rookie. That role did allow him to finish as the RB16 in standard leagues last season, and Rodrigue thinks he can be even more productive as a receiver this year. Still, that is probably close to his ceiling if he does not get more involved on the ground.
 

She doesn’t even know about routes I wouldn’t listen to her 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magoo said:

CMC received a significant amount of goal line carries and passes.  So to automatically call Anderson the starter in the goal line role is laziness.

Lazy it may be, but it’s true. Cmcs first “rushing td” was actually a pass btw. Ball was thrown forward half a yard by Cam, yet it counted as a backwards pitch (im sure some people lost/won their weeks bc espn refused to change this)

 

anyways, I wouldn’t count on rushing tds from cmc. I’d put the O/U at 4 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Absolutely

 

throw out a few others 

Funchess

Crowell

Chris Thompson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Magoo said:

Definitely a good price on CJA but would you actually start him in your flex over say a Jordy Nelson? 

All day, every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Magoo said:

Funchess

Crowell

Chris Thompson

Pretty shallow league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Magoo said:

Definitely a good price on CJA but would you actually start him in your flex over say a Jordy Nelson? 

Who knows at this point.   You want good options for flex -who have a chance at meaningful production.   C.J. could def be one of these guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Who knows at this point.   You want good options for flex -who have a chance at meaningful production.   C.J. could def be one of these guys. 

 

If he's guaranteed to be the 1st and 2nd down RB on a good team, then he should be one of those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magoo said:

 

If he's guaranteed to be the 1st and 2nd down RB on a good team, then he should be one of those guys.

 

“Guaranteed” seems like a strong word but he’s an excellent value in a promising situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.