SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

can Walker Buehler  start the season in the Dodgers rotation?

the Dodgers have other options with Kershaw, Hill, Wood, Mada, Ryu, Urias.

I see this from cbs..

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/dodgers-walker-buehler-slated-to-start-in-2018/

Manager Dave Roberts said Buehler will work as a starter in 2018, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports.

Buehler finished last season as a reliever after earning a September callup, though the Dodgers have always viewed the talented righty as a starter in the long term. While he struggled during his brief stint with the big club, posting a 7.71 ERA, 2.04 WHIP and 12:8 K:BB in 9.1 innings, the 23-year-old compiled a more respectable 3.35 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 125:31 K:BB through 88.2 innings across three levels of the minors prior to his promotion. He misses bats at an impressive clip and has front-of-the-rotation stuff, headlined by a plus curveball and a fastball that can serve as another reliable offering. The Dodgers have starters to burn, however, so Buehler will likely be competing for a back-end rotation spot in spring training.

this from pitcherlist..

This is a silly ranking – I know it’s a silly ranking – but it’s the tier of lottery tickets and Buehler should be involved. Dave Roberts said he wants to consider Buehler in the rotation out of the gate. The GM Zaidi says he doesn’t expect Buehler to be in the rotation to open 2018. Everything is stupid. I honestly don’t believe Buehler will break camp with the team, but this is essentially the last round of your drafts and you might as well have some fun. If Buehler somehow gets the time right away – hey, someone could get injured! Maybe he dominates in camp! – there’s a decent amount to like. He has an overpowering heater with a curveball that wasn’t all too impressive in his small sample last season, but apparently is much better than what we got a look at. Pair that with a history of excellent K/BB rates, and you might as well see what happens on the big stage. Not my favorite upside pick here, but this is a lottery, after all.

Urias is not an option due to his injury.  Beuhler just has to beat out Ryu.  Last I heard though Beuhler was expected to start in AAA to define his control and be able to limit his innings throughout the season.

• Like 2

Wood will get injured at some point, probably early, then he gets his shot

• Like 1

He definitely won't start the year in the rotation he only threw about 88IP last year. That would be a massive jump in workload. They handled him with kid gloves last year  he would only pitch about 4 innings per start maybe 5 if he was lucky and I expect a bit of the same this year.

Edited by Dirtywater97

In a recent mixed LABR draft he was picked in the 26th round. So, it looks like he’ll be considered a flier in most leagues. 

38 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

In a recent mixed LABR draft he was picked in the 26th round. So, it looks like he’ll be considered a flier in most leagues. 

I hope they don't give him the Urias treatment seeing as though that went so well.  Should be higher than Kopech imo.

I expect LAD will ease Buehler into action during 2018. I think he will have much more impact in 2019. This kid has stud potential written all over him.

2 hours ago, BCMarch10 said:

I expect LAD will ease Buehler into action during 2018. I think he will have much more impact in 2019. This kid has stud potential written all over him.

Does he have the upside of being a 200 IP horse for the Dodgers this year? Not a chance.  That being said, if he has 140 good innings, thats very valuable in today's game. He's on a team that should get him some wins, in an ok ballpark, with a pretty good defense. 

As of now, I think there's certainly potential value in where he's being drafted, which is kind of rare for a hyped rookie. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

recent spring news..

Walker Buehler struck out five over two scoreless innings in the Dodgers' 6-5 win over the Cubs in Saturday's Cactus League contest.

Yeah, the hype is legit. Buehler was bringing it, running his fastball up to 98 mph, and he allowed just a leadoff single in the ninth inning before striking out the next three hitters. The 23-year-old may not begin the year with the big club, but he should contribute at some point in 2018.

I also see this tweet..

just guessing but if the Dodgers have Buehler start the season in the minors and then typically run into injuries where they DL a starter, I wonder if they call on someone other than Buehler to make those spot starts and not go with Buehler unless he would be more guaranteed to remain in the rotation? instead of up and down, up and down, up and down.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

recent spring news..

I also see this tweet..

just guessing but if the Dodgers have Buehler start the season in the minors and then typically run into injuries where they DL a starter, I wonder if they call on someone other than Buehler to make those spot starts and not go with Buehler unless he would be more guaranteed to remain in the rotation? instead of up and down, up and down, up and down.

One of those starters will have an extended absence.

• Like 1

Probably too soon in redraft.  They probably don't want to yoyo him around like someone above said.  However I think he could be up by ASB when one of those guys underperforms or gets hurt. 

• Thanks 1

His delivery has shades of Verlander.  More impressed every time I see him.

I would definitely stash in a daily moves league.  Dodgers manipulated the 10 day DL so much that you need daily moves to take advantage of him.

• Like 2

Tonight's line:

5 IP / 4 H / 1 R / 1 BB / 6 K / 73 pitches.

Hopefully they are intentionally capping his pitches/innings with an eye towards saving a few for the bigs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

Tonight's line:

5 IP / 4 H / 1 R / 1 BB / 6 K / 73 pitches.

Hopefully they are intentionally capping his pitches/innings with an eye towards saving a few for the bigs.

I saw his thread was bumped and got excited that he got called up. tease!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

I've been sitting on this for a week due to fear of missing out. 

I'll hold as long as I have to. 

34 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/11/2018 at 10:04 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

The second time is just as much fun!!! Too bad he doesn’t have a MILB thread for speculation 

• Thanks 1

He's only pitched 4 innings in each of his starts in AAA so i even if he gets  a spot start i doubt its worth it to add him

5 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

He's only pitched 4 innings in each of his starts in AAA so i even if he gets  a spot start i doubt its worth it to add him

On around a pitch count of around 70. Dodgers are saving his bullets for the MLB.

Anymore comments please use the MILB thread. Keep getting trolled here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

It is against the Marlins. I would start myself against the Marlins

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Haha 1

Oklahoma city’s Game has been postponed today. Not sure what effect this has on Buehler’s potential start with the dodgers tomorrow 

On 4/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

On around a pitch count of around 70. Dodgers are saving his bullets for the MLB.

Anymore comments please use the MILB thread. Keep getting trolled here.

Seeing it bumped I immediately react with "It's a trap!"  lol