SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Trainer came out with Roberts but from

what I could see there was nothing that suggested he was hampered by something.

I didn't see anything.  The announcers couldn't figure it out either after watching replays, but I guess they saw something.  In the end, Buehler did say he was fine, but Dave Roberts still took him out.  Hopefully he was just being understandably extra cautious even though they can't really afford to use the bullpen much more than they have been lately.

4 minutes ago, sauceman11 said:

Was just pulled from the game in the top of 6th after getting a K...pitch count was low. Hope it's nothing serious. Some more Dodger Blues

Just saving those bullets I'm sure

Not saving bullets. Definitely not right. Sounds like he may have been stretching back/hip in the dugout, which I’d say would be good news. Waiting for word.

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Not saving bullets. Definitely not right. Sounds like he may have been stretching back/hip in the dugout, which I’d say would be good news. Waiting for word.

Exactly.  Not just saving bullets.  They wouldn't have come out to check on him if that was the case.  Nor would they have taken him out at 71 pitches with how much they've had to use their bullpen of late.

Didn't really notice much of anything with him while he was in the dugout.  Still watching the game right now if only to see if there's any word on him before the game ends.

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there but even though he got camargo to K on a curve, the last two fastballs he threw in the 10 pitch AB were his 2 slowest of his MLB career. That is concerning. 

• Like 1

Last two fastballs he threw were the slowest he’s pitched as a major leaguer... I’m expecting the worst with the rash of injuries lately

According to Rotoworld, Dave Roberts checked on him prior to his AB in the previous half inning.  You wouldn't have really noticed that even watching it, as I know I didn't, but just wanted to mention it anyways.  I'm guessing it's true because there'd be no reason to make it up.

Still no word on their broadcast, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a word before the game was over.  If they don't mention anything before the game is over, then I know I won't know anything since they don't show the postgame on MLB.tv.

MLB.com reporting an injury 

Rib soreness and taken out as a precaution.  That is the first word at least from the team's broadcast.

It was sore ribs. Got hit on ribs with a Trevor story line drive weeks ago which they made the storyline for TV.

meh whatever as an owner if he misses some starts now he will pitch later into the season with the innings limit he will certainly be on with baseball in 2018. 

My money is on an oblique injury. As soon as i hear rib soreness or side discomfort, thats what is usually is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

It was sore ribs. Got hit on ribs with a Trevor story line drive weeks ago which they made the storyline for TV.

meh whatever as an owner if he misses some starts now he will pitch later into the season with the innings limit he will certainly be on with baseball in 2018. 

Yeah, that's almost certainly just an excuse or whatever you want to call it.  That was roughly two and a half weeks ago, so there's very little way that would have all of a sudden popped up.  He stayed in that game, pitched almost three more starts (two of them brilliantly), so I'm not buying that at all.

Still, the fact that nothing has been said about him going for any MRI or anything yet is a good sign.  Granted the game ended just several hours ago, but still.  If nothing really pops up over the course of the day, then it's probably nothing to worry about.

I guess maybe there really is something to the ribs from the comebacker against the Rockies from 4 starts ago.  Nothing serious it seems, but I just did a search and found a couple of articles from either late last night or earlier today.  Basically, to sum them up, his velocity was down right before he was pulled.  Walker said he was having trouble breathing and was in pain, but wanted to stay in.  Obviously that didn't happen and wasn't going to.  He was going to be taken for X-rays.  They showed part of Dave Roberts' postgame press conference where he talked about Buehler, which is basically where I got that from, but the very end of the video he says that they took him for X-rays and the results were negative.  I'm guessing that was edited in from later in the press conference?  If any Dodgers fans on here could confirm that, it would be great.

Anyways, I'll post the links to the two articles.  For now, it still seems like it's nothing serious from what I gather.  He had been getting treatment on his ribs ever since he got drilled, but last night seemed to be the first time anything ever popped up from it.  Strange since it's been two and a half weeks and now four starts since then, but hopefully he'll be fine in the end.  I guess the only true silver lining right now is it has nothing to do with his arm.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-braves-20180608-story.html

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-walker-buehler-ribs-lingering-discomfort-hit-line-drive-comebacker/2018/06/09/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Idk, I think if the Dodgers are in a close race come September the inning limit goes out the window, especially if they still have a bunch of their other starters on the shelf. He's effectively their #3 SP right now, and might actually be there best arm until/unless Kershaw comes back.

Plus the whole inning limit thing hasn't seemed to preserve young arms at all.

So its what, bruised ribs then? 

Much better than an oblique injury.

Gotta give the kid credit for pitching through it

6 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

So its what, bruised ribs then? 

Much better than an oblique injury.

Gotta give the kid credit for pitching through it

That's what the team is saying, so I'm guessing so.

Definitely much better.  Either he'll make his next start or they'll DL him and he'll likely be back right when eligible.

Posted (edited)

Maybe he just gets a few more days rest?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

So he pitched the last two games with this injury? I’m assuming it happened on that comebacker. Can’t be out that long... hopefully.