SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

Unfortunately, this was kind of expected.  Not sure why they waited until they actually placed him on the DL to say that he has a microfracture, but I suppose it could be a lot worse.  At least it's not an arm injury, and like others have said, hopefully his time on the DL will be fairly short.  Unless he made it worse by pitching with it, you would think the healing process would have already started, so maybe he really will only be out 2-ish weeks.

It's a shame to have him on the DL, as he's become "Must See TV", but now he will go deeper into the season like somebody else said earlier.  Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise, as if he pitches deeper into the season and they are in a tight race for the division/wild card, maybe they will completely scrap the innings limit plan.

Scheduled bullpen session was postponed, he's still feeling soreness when he plays catch. Doesn't sound good but manager said he might try to throw one on Sunday. 

I'll happily wait for him to return in time for the stretch run and playoffs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bugkilla said:

Any word on his bullpen session today 

Other than him actually doing it on Sunday, not that I know of.  It's a step in the right direction either way.

Looks like he might be back soon. Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times is reporting he's going to pitch a 3 inning rehab game Thursday for Triple A Oklahoma City. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MrBrett said:

Looks like he might be back soon. Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times is reporting he's going to pitch a 3 inning rehab game Thursday for Triple A Oklahoma City. 

Yep, and it seems if all goes well, he'll slide back into the rotation at some point next week whenever it would be his "turn" after the rehab game.  At least that's what the blurb (Andy being the source of that) made it seem like.

• Like 2

Got to be fun trying to put together a lineup to face a few innings of Kershaw from the left side and then a few innings of Buehler from the right side.  Then again, I doubt that anyone in the world loves tinkering with lineups more than Joe Maddon.

• Haha 1

Kershaw, hill, stripling, wood, maeda (ryu soon)... looks like bullpen/triple A fodder 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Kershaw, hill, stripling, wood, maeda (ryu soon)... looks like bullpen/triple A fodder 

200w.gif

One of those guys guys has an ERA over 4. Another one over 5. At least 3 of them are injury prone. I think they’ll be able to find room for Buehler.

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cyberer said:

How cute. You think the Dodgers will actually have 7 healthy starters all at the same time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Naaaaah.  That's what people said last year when the Dodgers routinely had 7 arms for 5 rotation spots.  Buehler was already going to have his innings managed, and now they'll just have an easy excuse to rotate him in and out.  Rich Hill gonna Rich Hill, which means more openings as blisters come and go.  Kershaw's no guarantee to stay healthy as we know...  Some or all of them will likely see diminished workloads when healthy, but I don't see any of them spending a significant portion of the season in the bullpen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Ryu isnt that close and can never stay healthy. The Dodgers starters will rotate through the rotation and 10 day DL and some even the bullpen. I wouldn’t count on the Dodgers wasting Buehlers inning in AAA. 

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Got to be fun trying to put together a lineup to face a few innings of Kershaw from the left side and then a few innings of Buehler from the right side.  Then again, I doubt that anyone in the world loves tinkering with lineups more than Joe Maddon.

"Hold my beer and watch this"

- Joe Maddon, upon receiving this news

• Like 1

Early returns: not great.

Release point not consistent today.  Catchers glove all over the place.

Good rehab outing today. 

And bravo he the dodgers FO and management for drawing up this game plan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Brass will likely send him down tomorrow stating he needs a few rehab innings in AAA to work things out. 

That was quite an idiotic idea having him pitch out of the bullpen rather than a rehab assignment.  Obviously I still had him on my DL since he wasn't supposed to be activated.  I probably would have left him on my bench at best anyways since I would have had no interest in a bullpen appearance from him, but that was pretty awful obviously.

To the person thinking Buehler won't stick in the rotation the rest of the season (or until he gets shut down), well, I might as well just be blunt and say you're an f'ing moron.  It was made before the relief appearance, but considering the relief appearance is borderline meaningless and can be thrown out, it makes them all that much dumber.  The one positive is that it caused his ERA and WHIP to go up quite a bit obviously, so he won't be in line for much regression anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

It was fun. 

Good times good times 

I don't understand why they didn't just give him at least one rehab appearance...he def could have used it 

25 minutes ago, bugkilla said:

I don't understand why they didn't just give him at least one rehab appearance...he def could have used it 

Yup. No worries though. Lock n load

• Like 1