SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

There we go kid! I KNEW it was foolish to drop. But it really hurt pitching him the last few weeks, so glad I rolled him out there last night

8 hours ago, jeffr913 said:

There we go kid! I KNEW it was foolish to drop. But it really hurt pitching him the last few weeks, so glad I rolled him out there last night

It was only a matter of time before he got back on track.  He has filthy stuff, and after a short burst of walks in his first start or two, great control.  Shutting down a now really powerful Brewers offense (minus Schoop of course) isn't going to be easy, but Buehler seemed to make it look just that (I didn't get to watch much of it).

I said it earlier, but he's golden in keeper/dynasty leagues, and it doesn't seem like he's getting shutdown anytime soon (for redraft leagues).

• Like 3

Benching.  If he's learned from his first start there, great.  I'm not taking the chance that he hasn't, even though I'm extremely high on Buehler.

I'm really torn on this one. He struggled here earlier this year but this Rockies lineup has been surprisingly bleh as a team.

.313 woba and a 79 wRC+ vs RHP as a team. 

No Arenado tonight. I feel better about starting him now 

38 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

No Arenado tonight. I feel better about starting him now 

No Arenado and no Dahl.  I know the latter may not seem like much, but having Parra in the lineup instead does help a pitcher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

No Arenado and no Dahl.  I know the latter may not seem like much, but having Parra in the lineup instead does help a pitcher.

Start him. 

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Start him. 

I ended up not doing it.  Didn't want to risk the ratios after finally making great progress there of late, but oh well.  I'm still glad he pitched really good.  If he can do this in Coors now, look out.

Edited by KilloWertz

Are people starting vs. SEA?

55 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Are people starting vs. SEA?

No, definitely not.  Who would start Walker Buehler?

Or in the very deep thoughtful words of MireLuker, "hell yes".  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Indeed a great start, which is becoming the norm.  As Pitcher List would put it, "Aces Gonna Ace".

Why is Travis sad?  Did he accidentally leave Buehler on the bench? :)

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He might be in tier two of studs next year.

Ya he’s been great. As far as rookies pitchers go in the NL the only one I’d take before him next year is Flaherty. 

17 minutes ago, Helms said:

Ya he’s been great. As far as rookies pitchers go in the NL the only one I’d take before him next year is Flaherty. 

Maybe I'm just biased (own Buehler, not Flaherty), but I'd still take Buehler over Flaherty.  Buehler has better control and has shown a better ability to pitch deeper into games because of that.  Not to derail Buehler's thread too much, but while I still think Flaherty has a very bright future (and an obvious already solid present), I'd still take Buehler even though I don't think we really need to compare the two.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Maybe I'm just biased (own Buehler, not Flaherty), but I'd still take Buehler over Flaherty.  Buehler has better control and has shown a better ability to pitch deeper into games because of that.  Not to derail Buehler's thread too much, but while I still think Flaherty has a very bright future (and an obvious already solid present), I'd still take Buehler even though I don't think we really need to compare the two.

I would take Flaherty. He’s got better numbers across the board and his strikeout rate is elite(134 ks in 109 ip). Batters hitting just .200 off of him as well. Has been susceptible to hrs though. Buehler has 16 starts with 87 ip  and Flaherty has 20 starts with 109 ip so it’s not like Buehler is going to much deeper into games than Flaherty. Both are great though and couldn’t fault you for taking Buehler over Flaherty. 

Edited by Helms
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Helms said:

I would take Flaherty. He’s got better numbers across the board and his strikeout rate is elite(134 ks in 109 ip). Batters hitting just .200 off of him as well. Has been susceptible to hrs though. Buehler has 16 starts with 87 ip  and Flaherty has 20 starts with 109 ip so it’s not like Buehler is going to much deeper into games than Flaherty. Both are great though and couldn’t fault you for taking Buehler over Flaherty. 

Buehler has 15 starts.  His other appearance was the idiotic decision to have him "rehab" with an appearance out of the bullpen.  That's an average of nearly 6 innings per start (5.8 to be exact).  Flaherty averages 5.45 innings per start.  Not huge on the surface, but it can add up over the course of the season.  I don't feel like doing the math on the opponent's average, but you take out the stupid relief appearance and Buehler's would likely be close to the same as Flaherty's since Buehler's was nearly the same prior to that appearance.  I will give you Flaherty's K rate though.  It's definitely elite and the one place that Flaherty is the definite winner.

Still, like you said, both are doing great and it's not like I would point and laugh at somebody if they chose Flaherty over Buehler.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Buehler has 15 starts.  His other appearance was the idiotic decision to have him "rehab" with an appearance out of the bullpen.  That's an average of nearly 6 innings per start (5.8 to be exact).  Flaherty averages 5.45 innings per start.  Not huge on the surface, but it can add up over the course of the season.  I don't feel like doing the math on the opponent's average, but you take out the stupid relief appearance and Buehler's would likely be close to the same as Flaherty's since Buehler's was nearly the same prior to that appearance.  I will give you Flaherty's K rate though.  It's definitely elite and the one place that Flaherty is the definite winner.

Still, like you said, both are doing great and it's not like I would point and laugh at somebody if they chose Flaherty of Buehler.

Cool thing is we get to see them face each other on Wednesday when the cards plays the dodgers in LA.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Indeed a great start, which is becoming the norm.  As Pitcher List would put it, "Aces Gonna Ace".

Why is Travis sad?  Did he accidentally leave Buehler on the bench? :)

This guy is an absolute stud.  His stuff is just so filthy.  Take away that one relief appearance (when he should have been pitching in a rehab game) and his numbers are elite.  And I think the best is yet to come for him this season.  Simply put, if someone offered me Kershaw for Buehler right now, I'd decline it. Maybe people will call me crazy for that but I just feel than Buehler's stuff is better than Kershaw's stuff and that Kershaw is clearly no longer the pitcher he was 2011-2016 when he was the best in the game.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 1