SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Some worry about walks and/or pitch count limiting him, but man it’s hard not to be excited and throw him in there and see what happens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy I was able to pick him up but sad that I know he's on an innings limit and that this is likely just a spot start.

Edited by mthdmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dodgers play a doubleheader on Saturday vs the Giants. It’s possible he pitches twice this week.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance that if he balls out tomorrow, they keep him up and move Maeda to the bullpen? I think the Dodgers have been looking like they keep guys up once they bring them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrfrood said:

Any chance that if he balls out tomorrow, they keep him up and move Maeda to the bullpen? I think the Dodgers have been looking like they keep guys up once they bring them up. 

I feel there's a chance Buehler can stick in the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked him up this morning in hopes of the Dodgers doing the gutsy thing and actually choose Buehler for tomorrow.   I know I'm definitely throwing him out there considering the matchup.  Even with restrictions, he should be able to make it at least 5 innings as long as he pitches the way he is capable of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty excited for this start tonight.  When I added him I didn't know who he was, figured he was JAG getting a spot-start but since it was home against MIA it was a add now, ask questions later situation.  Then come to find out dude is a top prospect.  Hope he sticks, because that double header against SF is looking real juicy to end the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Pretty excited for this start tonight.  When I added him I didn't know who he was, figured he was JAG getting a spot-start but since it was home against MIA it was a add now, ask questions later situation.  Then come to find out dude is a top prospect.  Hope he sticks, because that double header against SF is looking real juicy to end the week.

I added him too, but it seems like it's just going to be a spot start and at most the two start week before he gets sent down. Kind of sucks cause I don't want to drop him lol

Edited by hangin n wangin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been holding this for two weeks. Time to collect against the fish at home!! 

 

Go get em kid! 

 

6 IP 

2 R 

9 K's 2BB

 

Buehler .... Buehler ... Buehler ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got em in my two leagues, as well. The great thing about this is Rich Hill will be on the DL around half of the season at least. This gives Buehler a chance to steal this spot! Rich is aging and is notorious for multiple DL stints. This guy is worth an add if you have any room for improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Pretty excited for this start tonight.  When I added him I didn't know who he was, figured he was JAG getting a spot-start but since it was home against MIA it was a add now, ask questions later situation.  Then come to find out dude is a top prospect.  Hope he sticks, because that double header against SF is looking real juicy to end the week.

 

Never heard of him?

 

41 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I added him too, but it seems like it's just going to be a spot start and at most the two start week before he gets sent down. Kind of sucks cause I don't want to drop him lol

Yes he would likely get sent down after the DH even if he pitches well, but that doesnt mean he would be down for long. They will send him down regardless to get fresh arms after a double header and no off days for 10 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wxmilkman said:

Got em in my two leagues, as well. The great thing about this is Rich Hill will be on the DL around half of the season at least. This gives Buehler a chance to steal this spot! Rich is aging and is notorious for multiple DL stints. This guy is worth an add if you have any room for improvement. 

Hill, Wood, Maeda, Ryu...even Kershaw. This isn’t exactly a rotation that screams 200-inning bulldogs. There should be plenty of opportunities for him this season assuming he shows well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am banking on a second start this weekend, but with the dodgers it is tricky. They manipulate the new(er) 10 DL than any team...

They could get 5 or 6 tonight then ship him back for fresh pen arms...

But then presumably DL another guy as a way to circumvent the rules and call Buehler back up as 26th man to start second game of DH this weekend...but that may depend on if Hill is ready too...

So yeah, maybe I am banking on the 1 start...lolz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Any chance that if he balls out tomorrow, they keep him up and move Maeda to the bullpen? I think the Dodgers have been looking like they keep guys up once they bring them up. 

I don't think he will stay in the rotation, it's only going to be a spot start. However, I think he will fly between MLB and AAA couple of times this season. With his limited innings, I also don't think he'll stay full-time in the rotation until later this summer or unless there's another injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everyone should temper their expectations a little here.

 

He's thrown over 80 pitches once in his profession career. Also has only ever made it passes 5 innings pitched (obviously due to pitch count)

 

I think he should be good, but I don't believe they will take the gloves off here.

 

I predict 4IP, 1ER, 1BB, 3k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smallball said:

I think everyone should temper their expectations a little here.

 

He's thrown over 80 pitches once in his profession career. Also has only ever made it passes 5 innings pitched (obviously due to pitch count)

 

I think he should be good, but I don't believe they will take the gloves off here.

 

I predict 4IP, 1ER, 1BB, 3k

 

I think those are great expectations. He isn't leaving my minor leagues just yet, I expect him to make a start or two then be sent back down.

 

I'm going to go with 4IP 2 ER 1 BB and 5 Ks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am banking on a second start this weekend, but with the dodgers it is tricky. They manipulate the new(er) 10 DL than any team...

They could get 5 or 6 tonight then ship him back for fresh pen arms...

But then presumably DL another guy as a way to circumvent the rules and call Buehler back up as 26th man to start second game of DH this weekend...but that may depend on if Hill is ready too...

So yeah, maybe I am banking on the 1 start...lolz

He might get a second start, but I kind of doubt he gets in more than 10 innings combined in both if that happens. That's fine in many fantasy leagues, but can be pretty risky if you have a weekly start limit, or an innings cap since he may not qualify for a W. He probably only throws 75ish pitches.

 

When a player is sent down he must stay in the minors for 10 days, unless (somewhat ironically) he needs to be called back up due to an injury - a loophole MLB really needs to close, because the Dodgers front office basically lives for exploiting things like that. Pitchers should have a minimum 15 day DL. 10 days seems fine for hitters.

 

With the 10 day DL every pitcher call up can be manipulated to be needed "due to injury".

 

Edited by cs3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah in his starts you would be lucky to see him finish 5 innings. I would expect someone like Font or Stripling to bridge the gap. Because they are limiting his pitches they will likely keep him down in the ML as much as they can. I think him and Stewart will share spot starting duties for much of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Marlins were nice enough to give Bour the day off for tonight's game, so it makes the matchup that much easier.  I know things can happen, but given the already weak lineup being without it's lone power hitter, and I think Buehler can actually make it through 5 innings before he hits his pitch limit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The Marlins were nice enough to give Bour the day off for tonight's game, so it makes the matchup that much easier.  I know things can happen, but given the already weak lineup being without it's lone power hitter, and I think Buehler can actually make it through 5 innings before he hits his pitch limit.

 

And in a pitcher-friendly park (although I guess either park would be).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave Roberts said he’d let Buehler throw 6 innings and/or 90 pitches tonight so if he’s efficient there’s a shot he goes a full 6.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...