SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

His innings are in the range where I wouldn't count on much after Friday's start. They probably want to save those bullets for the postseason. 

I think you're absolutely right in a perfect world they would like to spare him until the Postseason....But they need to get there first currently 3 games back for the 2nd Wildcard and 2 games back in the loss column for first place in the division. The tooth and nail fight for a playoff spot may actually help Buehler owners ROS. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DidiFan said:

I think you're absolutely right in a perfect world they would like to spare him until the Postseason....But they need to get there first currently 3 games back for the 2nd Wildcard and 2 games back in the loss column for first place in the division. The tooth and nail fight for a playoff spot may actually help Buehler owners ROS. 

Yeah.  They might just have to throw out the innings limit.  Honestly, I think in a league that likes to baby their young pitchers, I think this one will be just fine if they let him out of his bubble and pitch the rest of the season.

• Like 1

Fantastic performance (8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 SO) and the win tonight for Buehler...

FBFest_Feature.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He should be good to go for 170+ innings next season. Easily a top 20 SP, with the potential to be top 5.

I wouldn't expect any sort of innings limit next season, especially if they end up having to throw this year's out the window.  I think you're right on the nose with his potential range of ranking for next season, which would also support the lack of an innings limit.

Wish I could have seen last night's start, but I probably would have been frustrated too since he didn't get the win because of a first inning error and the usual lack of run support.  Still, it's impressive that he's set his career high in K's two starts in a row.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I wouldn't expect any sort of innings limit next season, especially if they end up having to throw this year's out the window.  I think you're right on the nose with his potential range of ranking for next season, which would also support the lack of an innings limit.

Wish I could have seen last night's start, but I probably would have been frustrated too since he didn't get the win because of a first inning error and the usual lack of run support.  Still, it's impressive that he's set his career high in K's two starts in a row.

I watched his start. It was a weird one in that he was dominant but between himself and the defenders behind him allowed the runners that scored. 

He was efficient and electrifying. He rung up number 12 to finish the 6th and at that point he seemed very settled in and showed a lot of emotion. He battled hard in the innings he got knocked around but came back with a fine performance. I own him in a non keeper and he is going to be a target for me in my return to the keeper I usually play in. He’s like a righty Kershaw but throws his heat at 98 rather than 93-94. Disgusting!

Crazy he was able to get through 6. When I looked he had finished 3 IP and had throws 67 pitches already. So glad I hung on to this guy through his injury etc, looks like a legit top 10-15 SP going into next year, but has potential to be so much higher. 

May start tomorrow's game depending on how the races are after today.  He's scheduled, but the possibility is there that they could save him for Monday if they feel there might be a 1 game playoff.  I didn't even realize he was scheduled for Sunday until I just looked over tomorrow's probables.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-report-20180928-story.html

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-walker-buehler-may-not-make-start-vs-giants-as-nl-west-and-wild-card-game-scenarios-loom/2018/09/29/

Good news?  He's now officially viewed as the team's co-ace with Kershaw.  Bad news?  If you're like me and are close to your innings limit, then you have to make sure you save at least 1 inning so you get Buehler's start tomorrow if he goes.

Okay, Walker Buehler is projected to win today.  Up until the LCS of both leagues, these projection have been golden.  LCS comes around and I've practically lost them all.  I just looked at 538 and Brewers are favored to win the NLCS.  Probably due to home field advantage.  Las Vegas favors the Dodgers.  So confusing.  It feels like I concussed myself.  

Walker Buehler seems like the RHP equivalent of Blake Snell.  High 90's fastball with movement and good worm-killer curveball which induces a lot of swings and misses.  Gets into trouble with occasional bouts of wildness.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 12:41 AM, KingJoffrey said:

Walker Buehler seems like the RHP equivalent of Blake Snell.  High 90's fastball with movement and good worm-killer curveball which induces a lot of swings and misses.  Gets into trouble with occasional bouts of wildness.

ya im gonna be all over him next year.  what round do you think hell be going in?

i think hell go around where Aaron Nola went this year...but  maybe even sooner unfortunately... 

I mostly do auctions. I would guess he goes for low to mid twenties.  I can't see people going into the thirties due to his lack of overall IP.

this WS performance isnt going to hurt him...lol

i might take a risk in like the 6th...anyone thinking he goes earlier than that?

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i might take a risk in like the 6th...anyone thinking he goes earlier than that?

His ADP in the 2-early industry mocks was 63, which would put him early in the 6th in 12-team drafts.  That was before tonight's gem and the pre-season hype cycle.

I have to think he creeps up into the 5th, passing arms like Bumgarner, Strasburg, and Paxton who went ahead of him in those drafts.  I'd take him ahead of any of them.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

His ADP in the 2-early industry mocks was 63, which would put him early in the 6th in 12-team drafts.  That was before tonight's gem and the pre-season hype cycle.

I have to think he creeps up into the 5th, passing arms like Bumgarner, Strasburg, and Paxton who went ahead of him in those drafts.  I'd take him ahead of any of them.

He's going to be a 4th round guy.  I wouldn't hesitate to take him ahead of those you listed

• Like 1

only concern is health and I think that's factored in a bit with a 4th rd pick

if you knew you were getting 200 inn out of him you would take him in the late 2nd/early 3rd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

damn ya....id take him in the 5th not sure about the 4th. depending whos out there i might have to. ill def take buehler over the 3 you listed and maybe roll the dice with paxton or stras as an SP2...havent looked much at SP yet

Edited by jfazz23