SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

This guy is a Vandy grad and as sharp as a tack.  He's had a good baseball support system throughout his life which puts him a bit ahead of most on the early learning curve.

• Like 2

Looking forward to his grand entrance as a Starting Pitcher. Let's hope he sticks around!

Funny thing is he’s probably navigated through more talented minor league lineups than what Miami is tossing out on the field tonight.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chalk the first inning up to nerves.  He's looked pretty good so far in the 2nd.

And now he walks the pitcher...

Edited by KilloWertz

Has looked alright through two. K's will be there. Got some bad luck bounces on balls in the 1st, evened out by a remarkable play by Hernandez in the 2nd. If he can keep the BB down he'll be great. If not, you could see some blowup nights. Stuff is electric through. Fun to watch.

Edited by Saucy

Electric arm.  Almost like a young Brandon Morrow.  97-99, but lack of put away pitch leads to some deep counts.  

While obviously far from Glasnow as a starter, he needs to just keep attacking hitters.  He did at the beginning of the 2nd and mowed two straight guys down, then he messed around with the pitcher.

[ Use the game day thread for play-by-play and assorted hot takes, guys. ]

I  thought he pitched ok, but he still has some work to do before he is ready to stick in the majors in my opinion.  So far his control has been fairly shaky in the majors, even though one of those walks was a strikeout tonight.

On a more positive note, I hope he gets the win tonight and I think he still has a very bright future.  The fastball is nasty, but his breaking pitches are inconsistent at best so far.  Still, once he gets called up for good, I'll happily give him another shot.

Agree with everything said above but worth mentioning he had 3 amazing defensive plays. 2 by Hernandez and 1 throw out by Grandal as well as really good framing by Grandal. I think the fastball is powerful but could use some movement. Overall, really happy with this outing and hopes he pitches Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Samblacksmith said:

Was this just a spot start or is there any chance he sticks around?

He may pitch again this weekend for the double header.

2 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I only saw 100. Did anyone see the 101?

I only saw 100 as well, but maybe I missed it.  Who knows...

Keep him up!  Keep him up!  Keep him up!

What else does he have to prove in AAA? 

That he has the stuff to pitch in the bigs? We saw that he does last night. You could literally see him thinking on the mound and he appeared calm and not overwhelmed. 

Just give him a spot in the rotation and let's go. 

44 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

What else does he have to prove in AAA? 

That he has the stuff to pitch in the bigs? We saw that he does last night. You could literally see him thinking on the mound and he appeared calm and not overwhelmed. 

Just give him a spot in the rotation and let's go. 

He's never thrown above 80 Innings yet. As excited as I am and everyone else here. I think we need to realize, this is a young super exciting arm that had TJS and still stretching out his arm to be a starter. It's early in the year and Dodgers have to be careful with him. 

• Like 1