SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

12 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Name checks out 

Walker Ranger Buehler Danger

1 hour ago, dannyusf said:

He's never thrown above 80 Innings yet. As excited as I am and everyone else here. I think we need to realize, this is a young super exciting arm that had TJS and still stretching out his arm to be a starter. It's early in the year and Dodgers have to be careful with him. 

He threw 97.3 IP in 2017.  Still VERY low but 2-3 more games worth of pitching than 80 innings.  Dave Roberts was quoted stating he could hit 140-150 IP this year.  I agree with you keeping him in AAA allows them to monitor and control his arm more carefully, potentially for a later season stay?  Time will tell.

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-walker-buehler-140-150-innings-limit-2018-season/2018/03/05/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kelle1sa said:

He threw 97.3 IP in 2017.  Still VERY low but 2-3 more games worth of pitching than 80 innings.  Dave Roberts was quoted stating he could hit 140-150 IP this year.  I agree with you keeping him in AAA allows them to monitor and control his arm more carefully, potentially for a later season stay?  Time will tell.

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-walker-buehler-140-150-innings-limit-2018-season/2018/03/05/

I'm sure this makes us all excited for next year. I could definitely see him throwing 160 - 170 innings with the Dodgers in 2019. Good stuff. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

I'm in a redraft so dropped him after seeing the blurb that he will be sent back down. Watched the start last night, however, and he is going to be very good. Special talent. Would hold very tight in keepers/dynasty. 

47 minutes ago, kelle1sa said:

Thank you for the correction.

I am a happy streamer! Now Ill get to watch him down here in OKC until Rich Hill gets hurt....again. Ill post some vids from behind home plate. 

• Like 2

I'm in re-draft and even if he is sent back down, I wouldn't drop him too quickly.  The Dodgers manipulate the DL like no other.  As someone else hypothesized, he could get sent down and still make that Saturday start as 26th man (if I understand the rule correctly).

Edited by JJ1223
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I'm in re-draft and even if he is sent back down, I wouldn't drop him too quickly.  The Dodgers manipulate the DL like no other.  As someone else hypothesized, he could get sent down and still make that Saturday start as 26th man (if I understand the rule correctly).

I agree. Or they *could* go to a modified 6 man rotation. I would hold if possible.

• Like 1

Just a fun fact here. Buehler comes from a pretty good line of pitchers from Vanderbilt (some offensive players too). 

David Price, Mike Minor, Sonny Gray, Carson Fulmer, Tyler Beede (not calling Beede or Fulmer good but they are MLB level)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/college/vanderbilt_university_baseball_players.shtml

With 11 BBs over 14.1 major league innings, he's certainly living up to his first name.

• Haha 1

Hudson's contract was selected from Triple-A Oklahoma City on Tuesday.
Spin: 
This will mark Hudson's first stint in the majors this year. Last season, which he spent with the Pirates, Hudson posted a 4.38 ERA and 1.46 WHIP over 71 games (61.2 innings). His control was subpar, as his K:BB sat at a subpar 66:33. In a corresponding move, Walker Buehler was optioned to High-A Rancho Cucamonga.

news_breaking.png
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Tue, Apr 24

So is this just to get a bullpen arm up until the double header Saturday?  Or is there a possibility that Buehler will not be pitching in it?

1 minute ago, ToO_BaD said:

So is this just to get a bullpen arm up until the double header Saturday?  Or is there a possibility that Buehler will not be pitching in it?

Doesn't really make all that much sense to option him to High A since he was playing in AAA. I still think he pitches this weekend.

“To make room for Hudson, the Dodgers optioned Walker Buehler to Class-A Rancho Cucamonga. It’s a procedural move that allows the Dodgers to keep Buehler in California until his turn in the rotation comes up Saturday in San Francisco.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/24/daniel-hudson-on-his-third-team-in-three-months-joins-dodgers-bullpen/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 2

Buehler will pitch Saturday. I don't give a s--- what league I'm in, dropping him would of been foolish. 

Mike Sorotka also on radar and has been stashed, one or two more stellar starts and he'll be with the Braves. 

As for Buehler, he's a cerebral type who lacks fear with an electric arm. 

It's If Kyle Hendricks could throw 96. 

• Thanks 1

Is he definitely getting sent back down after his start today or is there a chance he could stick in the rotation for a while?

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

Is he definitely getting sent back down after his start today or is there a chance he could stick in the rotation for a while?

What you said. Esp if he's lights out today (fingers crossed)

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

I believe he has to be sent down per the “26th man” rule. 

There is is a way around it by claiming he has to stay but it would have to be offset by corresponding DL move. 

What is much more likely is that he is sent down first this Sunday morning if they do that then Saturday’s start doesn’t restart his 10 day minor league clock before he can pitch again in the majors. 

Thus he could be recalled in time for his next start. 

The Dodgers are masters of roster manipulation.  

Edited by Smallball

6 minutes ago, Smallball said:

What is much more likely is that he is sent down first this Sunday morning if they do that then Saturday’s start doesn’t restart his 10 day minor league clock before he can pitch again in the majors. 

Ooooooohhhh....lovely.

3 hours ago, Smallball said:

I believe he has to be sent down per the “26th man” rule. 

There is is a way around it by claiming he has to stay but it would have to be offset by corresponding DL move. 

Sounds like he’s worth holding onto in redraft leagues.

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Sounds like he’s worth holding onto in redraft leagues.

As long as he pitches good today.  If he doesn't, I don't see them keeping him in the rotation.  Still, I'm highly considering throwing him back into my lineup today even if his first start was a little shaky (control wise at least).  It is against the Giants, so there's at least a good chance it goes well this afternoon.

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

As long as he pitches good today.  If he doesn't, I don't see them keeping him in the rotation.  Still, I'm highly considering throwing him back into my lineup today even if his first start was a little shaky (control wise at least).  It is against the Giants, so there's at least a good chance it goes well this afternoon.

Perhaps Posey plays in game 2 only,  day game after a night game; wait and see---still awaiting SF lineup

Edited by TheWrightStuff

Buehler opened at -115 and has been bet up to -134. 

Let's go kid, I'm on ya at the ground floor. 

Love his mental makeup on the hill thus far. 

This is fun.