SpecialFNK

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

He had thrown 93 pitches through six despite not giving up a hit.  There's no way they were going to let the new "fixture" in their rotation get to the 120-130 pitches necessary to complete a no-no.  The only question was to let him pitch until he gave up a hit, or to take him out and maybe let him be part of a combined no-no.  Roberts made the right call here.

I totally understand the logic of the bigger picture. But there must be something in the pit of your stomach that just says, 

C’mon, man. Let the kid go for it. 

Edited by Gandalfthecat
  • Like 2

Eh, I see a guy who will get his share of chances to flirt with a no-hitter.  If he were some 31 year-old career minor leaguer who suddenly found himself in position for a no-no, maybe you let him throw until his arm falls off, but this kid could be a franchise cornerstone.  If his pitch count were at 70 or 75 after 6, maybe you send him out there and see if he can nail down a quick inning.  But at 93?  There's just no way that ends the way you want it to, so get him out of there with a clean line and more bullets for meaningful innings later in the season.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Eh, I see a guy who will get his share of chances to flirt with a no-hitter.  If he were some 31 year-old career minor leaguer who suddenly found himself in position for a no-no, maybe you let him throw until his arm falls off, but this kid could be a franchise cornerstone.  If his pitch count were at 70 or 75 after 6, maybe you send him out there and see if he can nail down a quick inning.  But at 93?  There's just no way that ends the way you want it to, so get him out of there with a clean line and more bullets for meaningful innings later in the season.

Absolutely agree. 

Let your prize prospect who's been on a pitch count in his first two starts and is on an innings limit for the season?  Ummm, no team in the league would have sent him out there for another inning.

I'm perfectly fine with them taking him out after 6 innings and 93 pitches.  His line was really good, and all sending him out there probably would have done was him walking more batters and ruining his line.  Maybe another inning would have went fine, but it could very well have went that way too.

It'll be interesting to see what he does against a real MLB team.  Not saying he hasn't pitched good (he has obviously), but at least one or two of his three walks tonight were completely unnecessary (especially walking the pitcher).  Those could come back to bite him in the butt.

Still, he was pretty solid again tonight.  I got to watch more of it than I expected in between Porcello's start and Cole's, and I was impressed even with the occasional random walk.  I'll be starting him again against whoever they play next.

no way you send him back out there if hes thru 7 and sitting at 93 I consider it, maybe seeing if he can get a 10 pitch inning or less, and then have something to consider

7 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

I totally understand the logic of the bigger picture. But there must be something in the pit of your stomach that just says, 

C’mon, man. Let the kid go for it. 

Its actually in the pit of his pants, but whatever. These kids are so babied nowadays. Is what it is, though, 6 spectacular innings w a couple of em during a monsoon. 

Buehler only pitched about a 100 innings last year, so I wouldn’t expect him to throw 8-9 innings unless his pitch count is ridiculously low.

We can only speculate how many innings the Dodgers plan on using him this year, maybe +/- 130 IP, which could include using him in the bullpen in September.

The kid is showing what all the hype was about, and when he does start, he should be in most fantasy rotations.

Edited by Steve gar

1 hour ago, Steve gar said:

Buehler only pitched about a 100 innings last year, so I wouldn’t expect him to throw 8-9 innings unless his pitch count is ridiculously low.

We can only speculate how many innings the Dodgers plan on using him this year, maybe +/- 130 IP, which could include using him in the bullpen in September.

The kid is showing what all the hype was about, and when he does start, he should be in most fantasy rotations.

“I don’t want to put a number on how many innings but I think it’s fair to say 140-150 innings is attainable,” manager Dave Roberts said. “If Walker is healthy good things are going to happen for him and for us. As far as where this happens that’s just going to play itself out.

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/3/6/17019870/walker-buehler-2018-plan-innings-limit-spring-debut-dodgers

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

“I don’t want to put a number on how many innings but I think it’s fair to say 140-150 innings is attainable,” manager Dave Roberts said. “If Walker is healthy good things are going to happen for him and for us. As far as where this happens that’s just going to play itself out.

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/3/6/17019870/walker-buehler-2018-plan-innings-limit-spring-debut-dodgers

That comes out to roughly 18 more starts this season. Not sure if he will be occasionally skipped or if he will just be shut down all together, but I'm sure the Dodgers want him to pitch down the stretch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Light Tower Power said:

140-150 innings pitched would have to include Buehler’s role in the playoffs too.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

That comes out to roughly 18 more starts this season. Not sure if he will be occasionally skipped or if he will just be shut down all together, but I'm sure the Dodgers want him to pitch down the stretch. 

That assumes that the Dodgers would be relevant down the stretch, which they might not

Any # of his starts + a few fill in starts if/when he is slipped still has Top 25 ROS potential...

17 minutes ago, ljsabater said:

That assumes that the Dodgers would be relevant down the stretch, which they might not

Unfortunately very true.  They seem to be turning things around a bit, and obviously they will get a major boost whenever Turner comes back, but they still aren't the same team as last year (stating the obvious).

Still, Buehler looks like he will have plenty of value this season regardless of how many innings he ends up getting.  Roberts seemed to leave it open in his quote that it's possible Buehler will get more innings than people think, but obviously that would only be the case if they are in the hunt for the playoffs and he doesn't seem to be wearing down.  If they are out of it or he seems to be wearing down, then obviously he'll get shutdown no matter what.

What do you guys think about the selling him now after 3 good starts and 6 no hit innings?   The kid could be 140+ innings of elite numbers ROS, but he also may never be worth more than he is right now.  People might be willing to overpay for him, or pay something worthwhile.  I'm about to float him in my roto league and see if there are any bites.  Worst case he stays on my roster and I start him.

22 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Unfortunately very true.  They seem to be turning things around a bit, and obviously they will get a major boost whenever Turner comes back, but they still aren't the same team as last year (stating the obvious).

Still, Buehler looks like he will have plenty of value this season regardless of how many innings he ends up getting.  Roberts seemed to leave it open in his quote that it's possible Buehler will get more innings than people think, but obviously that would only be the case if they are in the hunt for the playoffs and he doesn't seem to be wearing down.  If they are out of it or he seems to be wearing down, then obviously he'll get shutdown no matter what.

Agreed, my point is that I will take Buehler value now and will not assume he is available down the stretch.    I have him on my team, which is not a H2H league, so approach changes a bit.

20 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

What do you guys think about the selling him now after 3 good starts and 6 no hit innings?   The kid could be 140+ innings of elite numbers ROS, but he also may never be worth more than he is right now.  People might be willing to overpay for him, or pay something worthwhile.  I'm about to float him in my roto league and see if there are any bites.  Worst case he stays on my roster and I start him.

In a redraft, sure. In a keeper, hell no.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Redraft league?  Sure, if you truly believe somebody will overpay for him.  Keeper/dynasty?  No way in hell. :)

13 minutes ago, ljsabater said:

Agreed, my point is that I will take Buehler value now and will not assume he is available down the stretch.    I have him on my team, which is not a H2H league, so approach changes a bit.

Definitely not against your point at all.

I never thought I'd be saying it, but they are definitely no sure thing to make the playoffs.  I was just pointing out that it seemed to me that Roberts implied that Buehler could go over the limit depending on the situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Yes, I meant Redraft leagues . 

Ok, then go for it as long as you get a solid return for him.

23 minutes ago, bugkilla said:

So when is he supposed to start again ? Can't find his next scheduled day should be wed. 

I was wondering the same thing. I just read an article but I can’t find it now to post the link.

it said his next start would likely come Thursday against the reds.

can anyone confirm?

29 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I was wondering the same thing. I just read an article but I can’t find it now to post the link.

it said his next start would likely come Thursday against the reds.

can anyone confirm?

ESPN app has him listed as Thursday vs Reds.  theScore app also has him listed on that day.  

Edit:  ESPN also has him listed under MLB subsection "Schedule"

Edited by ToO_BaD