midlip

Paul Goldschmidt 2018 Outlook

At this point you can't sell.  The return would most likely be brutal, and should he eventually turn it around you'll have to watch the guy who just stiffed you reap the benefits. 

• Like 1

He should get the Matt Carpenter treatment. Bench him for a series so maybe he could snap out of his funk.

35 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

Haven't seen a collapse like this since Josh Hamilton. Of course that was at least partly due to injuries, so this seems much worse.

Prince Fielder says hello 

• Like 4

He has to be injured right? I mean players don’t just totally lose their skills at age 30. 

This is more than a slump.  This guy has problems this year.  Maybe he's off the juice?  

This guy is a train wreck.  

2 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

This is more than a slump.  This guy has problems this year.  Maybe he's off the juice?  

This guy is a train wreck.  

Time to take him out to pasture.  Ugh.

I've about had it with this guy. Every time i go to bench him, he'll hit a home run, and i'll put him back in for a week. Not anymore. I don't care if he hits 5 home runs on my bench, he's not getting back in until he has back to back multi hit games.

The suck is real. For now. What a fantasy gold mine over the past few years, to fall off a cliff like this? I am not buying it. I'd still try to buy low on him. 

Cringing when I see his current contract... cringing even harder when I see his OPS over the last month (under .400, oof).  Really hope he turns it around- you had to think barring injury that this guy was one of the safest 1st rd picks even with the installation of the humidor.

1 minute ago, 6Kill said:

Cringing when I see his current contract... cringing even harder when I see his OPS over the last month (under .400, oof).  Really hope he turns it around- you had to think barring injury that this guy was one of the safest 1st rd picks even with the installation of the humidor.

That's the thing...he has to be hurt. I don't see any realistic explanation otherwise. And IF you believe he's hurt you need to sell while you still can. 

• Like 1

Not even two months into the season and Goldy, after what...6-7 years of absolutely mastery and brilliance is being talked about like he's trash. Yea, he's awful right now, but the best predictor of the future is the past. He'll figure it out and be fine. If you have Goldy, what do you propose to do? Trade him for a middle relief pitcher and a prospect? No,  you have to hang tight, ride him and hope he figures it out which his career trajectory says he will.

1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

Not even two months into the season and Goldy, after what...6-7 years of absolutely mastery and brilliance is being talked about like he's trash. Yea, he's awful right now, but the best predictor of the future is the past. He'll figure it out and be fine. If you have Goldy, what do you propose to do? Trade him for a middle relief pitcher and a prospect? No,  you have to hang tight, ride him and hope he figures it out which his career trajectory says he will.

So i take it you are not an owner. I don't agree with people who are talking about getting rid of him - but at this point, an 0/4 is an 0/4 regardless of whether it's coming from Paul Goldschmidt or Billy Buttscratcher. I've watched Paul and a few other players tank my team this year - as i'm sure many other owners here have. if you are an owner, you're dumb to keep putting him in your lineup day in and day out, playing for 6th because he did great in the past.

Was this ever talked about? Occurred on March 25th

Edited by Bravesfan155
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Even if he does start hitting a bit teams will just start pitching around him with that awful Dbacks lineup. Pollock out, No JD Martinez No Segura Who scares you in that lineup Descalso? Lamb? Owings?

Its not a slump, guys.  Thats what some of you are missing.  He hasnt been a good hitter since the end of August 2017.  So we're talking about 3 months of below replacement level production.  Thats not a slump.  Its something more.

15 minutes ago, nykid1981 said:

Its not a slump, guys.  Thats what some of you are missing.  He hasnt been a good hitter since the end of August 2017.  So we're talking about 3 months of below replacement level production.  Thats not a slump.  Its something more.

This is crap, his OPS was .946 in April which is pretty damn solid. Yes he has been useless in May but you can’t ignore that he had a good start to this season.

20 minutes ago, nykid1981 said:

This + hbp in ST, mentioned a few pages ago + humidor. He's probably playing hurt

Lol Goldie gonna make life miserable for owners until he gets it together consistently. I've basically just resorted to the fact that I am plugging him into my 1B slot and living with the ugly, bad and occasional good. Hopefully there is more good to come, I'll take it!

Edited by KrunK

Bench coachish, but would you rather have Paul Goldschmidt or Corey Seager the rest of the way?  One will get a little more counting stats than the other, while the other won't kill your average.  

• Haha 4

Goldy with a 2B and 3B tonight...2-5, 2 Ribees. I just have to believe at some point this boy is gonna catch fire. If you have him, start him!!! 

10 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Goldy with a 2B and 3B tonight...2-5, 2 Ribees. I just have to believe at some point this boy is gonna catch fire. If you have him, start him!!! 

He already caught fire this year - he's sure sent my team down in flames. The only thing on fire is his batting average, which, like a house fire, burns out of control and slowly to the ground until there is nothing left. Hope you catch fire Paul!