midlip

Paul Goldschmidt 2018 Outlook

One thing i noticed watching him earlier this week is that he was consistently late getting his front foot down.   Hopefully they correct that issue. 

It’s still to be determined whether the last 2 games are indicative of anything. He faced lefties the last 2 nights. As his splits show, he struggles against righties. If he does well vs. righty SPs in the next 4 nights, he may be on the comeback train.

Man, the writers are really getting creative with their blurbs lol

Paul Goldschmidt went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in Saturday's loss to the A's.

Goldschmidt's been surprisingly quiet with the bat this season and Saturday's game continued that trend. Overall, the usually-dependable slugger is slashing just .201/.319/.380 with six home runs and 16 RBI in 51 games played this year. The numbers are discouraging, but Goldschmidt is a far better hitter than what he's shown this season and even if he can't quite get his numbers back to what we're accustomed to seeing -- and there's still plenty of runway to land that statistical plane -- he is a prime buy-low candidate for fantasy purposes.

Has Rotoworld started hiring Classics majors from the Ivies or something?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Man, the writers are really getting creative with their blurbs lol

Paul Goldschmidt went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in Saturday's loss to the A's.

Goldschmidt's been surprisingly quiet with the bat this season and Saturday's game continued that trend. Overall, the usually-dependable slugger is slashing just .201/.319/.380 with six home runs and 16 RBI in 51 games played this year. The numbers are discouraging, but Goldschmidt is a far better hitter than what he's shown this season and even if he can't quite get his numbers back to what we're accustomed to seeing -- and there's still plenty of runway to land that statistical plane -- he is a prime buy-low candidate for fantasy purposes.

Has Rotoworld started hiring Classics majors from the Ivies or something?

Pretty optimistic from these unpaid interns, unfortunately Goldy’s season is more MH370 than anything.

Take this for what it's worth.

As bad as Paul Goldschmidt has been this year, there is still hope.

In 2003, Sammy Sosa didn't hit his 7th home run until June 18.  He finished the season with 99 runs, 40 homers, 103 rbis, .279 ba and .358 obp.  Granted, he did spend a couple of weeks in May on the DL, but the point being is that he finished with some respectable numbers.  

Don't abandon ship just yet!

• Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 2:15 AM, bigge2win said:

It’s still to be determined whether the last 2 games are indicative of anything. He faced lefties the last 2 nights. As his splits show, he struggles against righties. If he does well vs. righty SPs in the next 4 nights, he may be on the comeback train.

I'm so ready. Dbacks have 3 vs the Reds and 3 vs the Marlins this week. The 2 worst team ERAs and Whips in the NL.

But the problem is, 5 of the 6 opposing starters are righties and he sucks vs righties as you said. And he's at home where he's OPSing .530 with 0 HRs and 3 lousy rbis in 86 ABs.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, 96mnc said:

One thing i noticed watching him earlier this week is that he was consistently late getting his front foot down.   Hopefully they correct that issue. 

I played ball for 9 years, whenever I was a bit late like that, I was not focuses or dinged up in my lower half

On 5/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, 96GOAT said:

In 2003, Sammy Sosa didn't hit his 7th home run until June 18.  He finished the season with 99 runs, 40 homers, 103 rbis, .279 ba and .358 obp.  Granted, he did spend a couple of weeks in May on the DL, but the point being is that he finished with some respectable numbers.  

Sassy Sosa was also on that juice! 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 8:57 AM, 96GOAT said:

Sweet, so all Goldy has to do is start roiding out of his mind! Problem solved.

• Haha 1

So, Goldschmidt has been a top 5 player for the last how many years?  Is it because he's on juice, too?

Anyone see any exit velocity and angle? I would love to see some hard hit balls again 

5 minutes ago, dannyusf said:

Anyone see any exit velocity and angle? I would love to see some hard hit balls again 

He took a fastball at 95 on the lower outside corner of the zone and drove it opposite field corner near the foul pole. Not sure on exit velocity.

8 minutes ago, dannyusf said:

No but I saw the ball go over the fence, which is all I care about considering how putrid Goldy has been this year. He's turned things around the past few games. Hopefully it sticks and he goes back to normal.

• Like 1

Ends the game 1-4 with the 2 run bomb today. His average is going up. We’ll take it. It seems like he could be coming out of his slumber a little bit.

Another homer tonight (this time off Caleb Smith in Phoenix). It's June and I think Goldy's back.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

1 hour ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Another homer tonight (this time off Caleb Smith in Phoenix). It's June and I think Goldy's back.

You’d probably see a bigger spike if he had lineup around him.  This lineup has busted hard.  Pollock was heartbeat.  If he was in and Goldy was getting going he’d probably see more counting stats.  Few things less arousing in baseball than seeing Dyson and Ahmed hitting in front of you.  Go up and down that lineup and it’s just horrific loser after horrific loser.  Souza and Pollock were suppose to be pretty big for them and both out for large stretches and nobody stepped up. 

^

also Jake Lamb missed most of the first 2 months.  If they ever get everyone healthy it's not a bad lineup