midlip

Paul Goldschmidt 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Gave up a lot to get this guy in a trade a few weeks ago.  Frustrated beyond belief right now.  Is he really done?

Just go back a page or 2 and look at everyone's condescending remarks.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:45 PM, mehtavg2000 said:

Gave up a lot to get this guy in a trade a few weeks ago.  Frustrated beyond belief right now.  Is he really done?

Oppo taco.  Not done.  

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Image result for paul goldschmidt gif

im thinking hes gonna be a good value next year.

hoping i can get him in the 2nd round and he puts a full year like this together

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

im thinking hes gonna be a good value next year.

hoping i can get him in the 2nd round and he puts a full year like this together

second round would be pretty nice.  1b is pretty shallow, so he might go before then just because of position scarcity, but if youre drafting at the end of the 1st round, he looks like a nice pick at the turn....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, herschel said:

second round would be pretty nice.  1b is pretty shallow, so he might go before then just because of position scarcity, but if youre drafting at the end of the 1st round, he looks like a nice pick at the turn....

im thinking u might even get him mid 2nd....so there is a chance your 1st and 2nd picks can be like Turner/Goldie or Harper/Goldie or Baez (who i think is a 1st rounder next year)/Goldie or arenado/goldie

something of that nature....

Hard to see him falling off a cliff for an extended period of time again if healthy, so I think a .290/.390/.520 triple slash is a pretty reasonable expectation for the golden one next year and he could very easily outdo all of those numbers. Hopefully he runs a bit more but it looks like the days of 15+ bags could be over.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

Pretty crazy that he may end up hittin .300+ on the season...

...after a horrible 2 months.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Some good readin' here. I loved going back through the pages. I assume Goldy owners are pretty pleased. As I stated in this very thread, the best predictor of the future is the past. Obviously, there will be declines as guys get old and for new players they have no historical references to fall back on, but Goldy is in his prime. If you have him, enjoy the spoils. 

Edited by kwolf68

I know this might sound crazy given how he's turned things around, but is he still having issues hitting at home?  Seems like that was an issue, and his splits at home are still horrible (I know they are hurt by how poor he was at first, but still).  I also went through his game logs and even recently he seems to cool off when they come home and then get hot again when they go on the road.

20 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I know this might sound crazy given how he's turned things around, but is he still having issues hitting at home?  Seems like that was an issue, and his splits at home are still horrible (I know they are hurt by how poor he was at first, but still).  I also went through his game logs and even recently he seems to cool off when they come home and then get hot again when they go on the road.

Did some digging on fangraphs and it is kind of a tale of two halves at the moment.

Monthly splits at home:

MONTH   AVG         OBP      SLG      OPS

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mar/Apr: 0.231    0.464    0.385    0.849

May:        0.107    0.206    0.161    0.367
June:      0.283    0.377    0.478     0.856
July:        0.314    0.426    0.549    0.975
Aug:        0.259    0.412    0.407    0.819

So let's just say the first two months were an aberration and just look at June-Present, he averages out to this line at home:

.290AVG/.405OBP/.492SLG/.897OPS

Definitely not going to hurt you if that is the 'new' Goldie at home. Yeah Chase isn't as friendly as it was before, but he's not giving you Charlie Blackmon-esque, Coors effect split where he turns into a .232avg and .737ops hitter on the road and kills you if he's got a road trip in the playoffs or in Goldie's case a homestand. When Goldie is right he is going to hit anywhere, regardless of altitude, baseball humidity levels and park dimensions.

Rather than quote it all, I'll just say thanks for all of that.  Was just curious since he was a recent acquisition, but it seems like nobody should have anything to worry about from here on out.

Edited by KilloWertz

Just now, paintingtheblack said:

Pretty remarkable turnaround. Imagine what his season line could have been without the horrible first 60 days.

Another way to look at it is he might not have went on a tear quite on this level if he didn't have so much to correct.  It's obviously all worked itself out and then some beyond what may end up being slightly lower counting stats than expected.

Either way, Paul laughs in the face of his horrid start.

It'd be nice if he could get his head out of his a** at least for the final two games of the season.  He's gone right back to his beginning of the season ways, being completely lost at the plate....  His last RBI was 15 games ago and his last HR was 18 games ago (barring him somehow getting one of either tonight).  Hey, at least he has 21 strikeouts over that 18 game span.  Way to go Goldy!  :rolleyes:

• Sad 1