midlip

Paul Goldschmidt 2018 Outlook

15 hours ago, nykid1981 said:

Verlander, Kershaw, Wood, Scherzer, Strasburg in 5 of his next 6 games.  This slump isnt ending anytime soon.

Yuck. Guess he stays on the bench for a bit more than this weekend.

He's really sucking bad this year, is it over for Goldy?

Could the humidor be somehow negatively impactful to his approach compared to his teammates? It seems unlikely, but it’s weird what’s happened to him. 

2 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

Could the humidor be somehow negatively impactful to his approach compared to his teammates? It seems unlikely, but it’s weird what’s happened to him. 

No.   He's just a mess at the plate right now.   Bat looks slow.

• Like 1

A guy can fall off any year, but the chances increase every year once they are past the prime age.  He will probably come back to being rosterable but the days of 30+ homers and 15+ steals are probably over. 

59 minutes ago, The Waker said:

A guy can fall off any year, but the chances increase every year once they are past the prime age.  He will probably come back to being rosterable but the days of 30+ homers and 15+ steals are probably over. 

Past his prime? One month into his age 30 season and he's past his prime? Coming off of 117, 36, 120, 297/404/563 and 18 SB's? I think I'll wait a few more months before I come to that conclusion. 

7 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Related image

That tumble is on the move, Id take that over Goldy right now but what can you do realistically haha. It's a shame he probably "fell" to most of us in drafts to a spot where it wasn't that ideal to pass him over. 

The dramatic contact% dip and K% increase is definitely worrying but he's not really old enough where I would think that's age related yet. Maybe he's hiding an injury or something? That would seem more likely than age catching up to him at 30, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Past his prime? One month into his age 30 season and he's past his prime? Coming off of 117, 36, 120, 297/404/563 and 18 SB's? I think I'll wait a few more months before I come to that conclusion. 

It isn't really that crazy.... The prime for most players is before age 30

55 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Related image

That weed looks more likely to steal a bag than Goldy.

• Haha 3

DO NOT sell low.  This is a very bad stretch for a guy in a bad mechanical funk.  He’s A solid week away from an .850+ ops.  Arizona had some bad matchups, and they got more on horizon.  From May 13th on he has a very nice stretch with some awful pitching teams.  Buy low where you can, it’s frustrating dealing with a horrible slump like this from a first rounder but this guy is a professional.  He’s got a great track record, his walk rate is still very good.  He’ll start feasting again soon.  Go get yourself a share.

• Like 2

Already tried getting Goldy by offering Benintendi and Hanley for him and was laughed away.  Seriously I doubt any decent owner is going to sell Goldy low, prob will just get the same response I got as the Goldy owner in my league was offended. 

Edited by chud12

4 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Already tried getting Goldy by offering a Benintendi and Hanley for him and was laugh away.  Seriously I doubt any decent owner is going to sell Goldy low, prob will just get the same response I got as the Goldy owner in my league was offended. 

True.  Most serious leagues won’t sell for discount.  But in a Public league you can probably get him for a Brandon Belt and a toss in a Coors light and could have a deal.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The Waker said:

It isn't really that crazy.... The prime for most players is before age 30

It wouldn't be crazy if this was late July or August but it's early May. For a player like Goldy, with the numbers he's put up and the skill set that he's shown, I've got prime at 27-32. I would venture to say that this is just a bad stretch for him and he's not falling off of a cliff... 

19 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

discount double check window.

What is a discount double check window? Is Rodgers going to give him hitting lessons?

16 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

What is a discount double check window? Is Rodgers going to give him hitting lessons?

Great question.  I was Cinco De Drunko at time of that post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

It wouldn't be crazy if this was late July or August but it's early May. For a player like Goldy, with the numbers he's put up and the skill set that he's shown, I've got prime at 27-32. I would venture to say that this is just a bad stretch for him and he's not falling off of a cliff... 

Prime I consider 26 to 29.

I expect a dip at 30.  I call it post prime 30-33.

Then with 34 I consider most players in the decline phase.  Some upper echelon talents remain productive past then but generally I don't expect it.

At each age break the hitter has to compensate for a little loss of trigger speed.  That means some sort of mechanical adjustment to make your swing shorter.

In my keeper league i tried to move Goldie before the year to no avail.  At this point gotta ride it out.

• Like 1

Was looking to take the temp here on a buy low. Was digging into some stats and it seems like Goldy has carried his horrific September last year into this season. 17R 3HR 11RBI's .256 OBP and .175 BA. His away splits this year look very strong but at home he's been abysmal. Is the humidor possibly having a psychological effect on him? What was the excuse last September? Was he hurt? 

This thread will become a great record of how emotions and outlooks change so rapidly during a season.  In three weeks we'll be reading posts like:

"Two more SBs, can this guy be stopped???"
"Look at this moonshot by Goldy.  I dropped my dinner."
"Traded Goldschmidt for Acuna a month ago, how do I recover value?"

Buy low. 

FYI, Goldy's 162 game average over 8 seasons: 106 R, 30 HR, 107 RBI, 20 SB, .296 AVG, .398 OBP. 

Lord, buy low.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

This thread will become a great record of how emotions and outlooks change so rapidly during a season.  In three weeks we'll be reading posts like:

Buy low. 

FYI, Goldy's 162 game average over 8 seasons: 106 R, 30 HR, 107 RBI, 20 SB, .296 AVG, .398 OBP. 

Lord, buy low.

Hasn't this post been said for weeks basically? 

23 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Buy low. 

Lord, buy low.

Believe me, I hear you.  The man is 0 for his last 21.  He's also struck out right at 50 times already this season.  he only struck out 147 times total last year.  I've mentioned it several times in this thread, sure he is MORE than capable of recovering, but if you think this is an overreaction then you haven;t watched his ab's so far.  Take Trea Turner for example.  His stat line looked horrible as early as just 2 weeks ago.  But even then, his ab's looked great.  Lots of walks, low k rate, tons of hard hit balls right at people.  The snakes overall have been playing well, and this guy has 11, that's right. only 11 RBI's.  It's one thing to panic, but just as dangerous is to ignore trends that something is actually going on.  I'm not sold he recovers, I'd love to be wrong.

I’ve sat him the last few games against tough Houston pitching but he was very solid in his last series at Dodger Stadium (2HR and 1.378 OPS in those three games) so I’m hoping he turns it around here. 

It’s coming....he’s worked some deeper counts tonight and just smoked a double off Jansen. Hopefully maybe, just maybe he’s found something. 

• Like 1