midlip

Paul Goldschmidt 2018 Outlook

On 5/7/2018 at 1:45 PM, chud12 said:

Already tried getting Goldy by offering Benintendi and Hanley for him and was laughed away.  Seriously I doubt any decent owner is going to sell Goldy low, prob will just get the same response I got as the Goldy owner in my league was offended. 

i mean usually in order to buy low you need to offer someone lower ranked who's performing well. Benintendi is basically the 4-5th round equivalent of goldy lol

Benintendi's can't hit lefties. You should sell immediately or just start him against righties. Probably the worst hitter in the league against lefties. But yeah I'm trying to get Goldy too.

The best way to get Goldy is to trade another first or second rounder who isn't performing up to expectations. People are going to want that name recognition in return.

Need to get thru this week with him.  After that, he has alot of favorable matchups.  If he is still really struggling at that point?   Then I think its time to panic.

Anyone who's selling him isn't selling low - they're just selling dumb. Goldy isn't going to lose value just because he's had 1 rough month. Owners should still be expecting an elite name for him - anyone who gives less will probably finish last in their league.

• Like 3

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

Yeah he has the track record but this just shows how Goldy has been just another guy over his last 500 PA. That's not a small sample size.

DcyDnSTW0AEyE21.jpg

Edited by Carlos Correa

56 minutes ago, Carlos Correa said:

Yeah he has the track record but this just shows how Goldy has been just another guy over his last 500 PA. That's not a small sample size.

DcyDnSTW0AEyE21.jpg

No mention of the steals

20 minutes ago, Stallion said:

No mention of the steals

For fantasy purposes, sure.  But I’m an owner in a keeper league and this sure shows what a funk he’s been in as a hitter.

1 hour ago, Carlos Correa said:

DcyDnSTW0AEyE21.jpg

Steals or not... that’s terrifying 

1 hour ago, Carlos Correa said:

DcyDnSTW0AEyE21.jpg

Even to illustrate the pretty obvious point of what a disappointment Goldy has been, this comparison is kind of goofy.

To get 500 PAs for Goldy, you're going back to June 2017.

To get 500 PAs for Adams, you're going all the way back to September 2016.

You have to go all the way back to 2016 for Adams, because the dude is heavily platoon split. Even if he's a disappointment at ADP, it's not like Adams actually produced those numbers over a similar time frame lol. 

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Like 9

Adams has also put up those numbers compiled over 500 PA of being largely platooned to face RH pitchers he handles better. I doubt his numbers would have been so sparkling if he was playing against everyone like Goldy has.

• Like 4

First base has been a major disappointment so far this year. It was unusually thin to begin with and now you're not getting the production you'd expect from the top picks: Goldy, Votto, Rizzo, E5, Bellinger, Myers, Smoak, etc.

Hoskins has cooled off.

Really the only top 1B option that's producing as advertised is Freddie Freeman!

• Like 1

He got hit in the head with a pitch on March 25th 2018 in AAA, or spring training or whatever.

Maybe it's just mental.

Either way guys slump, its part of the game. He's fine.

This dude simply cant hit in Chase Field anymore.  Its unreal.  It reminds me of how Citi Field got into David Wright's head and made him change his swing.

19 hours ago, Caelum said:

Adams has also put up those numbers compiled over 500 PA of being largely platooned to face RH pitchers he handles better. I doubt his numbers would have been so sparkling if he was playing against everyone like Goldy has.

Sure, but that's purely a hypothetical. Those numbers are what actually happened at the plate. It's really less of an endorsement of Adams and more of an indictment on Goldy. I popped into the thread fully expecting some overreacting and some talk of buy-low, but to see those numbers across 500 AB... yeesh... there might actually be a problem here. The sky isn't falling, but the ROI is.

21 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

Sure, but that's purely a hypothetical. Those numbers are what actually happened at the plate. It's really less of an endorsement of Adams and more of an indictment on Goldy. I popped into the thread fully expecting some overreacting and some talk of buy-low, but to see those numbers across 500 AB... yeesh... there might actually be a problem here. The sky isn't falling, but the ROI is.

The numbers happened at the plate at different times though, so "what actually happened" at the plate isn't really meaningful when the comparison isn't over remotely equivalent timeframes. I think everyone gets that Goldy is a disappointment, especially at his ADP. 

A better indictment would be something like, I dunno, arguably being outproduced by Votto, Hosmer, Rizzo and Smoak since mid-May of last year.

Perfect chance to break out of his slump right there, could have won the game, they disrespected him by pitching to him with 1st base open and men of 2nd and 3rd, and he bounces one to 3rd base. 

Im so sick of his face.  SHOW SOME FREAKING EMOTION.  It's like he wants everyone to feel sorry for him.  You loser.  DO something about it your g-damn self.

• Like 1

Didn't see the at bat, but I'm a local and on the radio today they were saying he's taking first pitches way way more than his career average, this could be the problem, that he's not jumping on first pitch strikes.   Did he do the same in the last AB?

19 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

Perfect chance to break out of his slump right there, could have won the game, they disrespected him by pitching to him with 1st base open and men of 2nd and 3rd, and he bounces one to 3rd base. 

Im so sick of his face.  SHOW SOME FREAKING EMOTION.  It's like he wants everyone to feel sorry for him.  You loser.  DO something about it your g-damn self.

You have definitely cursed him.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Didn't see the at bat, but I'm a local and on the radio today they were saying he's taking first pitches way way more than his career average, this could be the problem, that he's not jumping on first pitch strikes.   Did he do the same in the last AB?

F-Strike% is 68.2%. Highest of his career by a wide margin. Last year was 59%, 2016 was 56.7%,, and 2015 was 54.2%

Contact rate the lowest in years, swinging strike rate over 11.2% which is atrocious.... and to make it all better, Goldy has traditionally done much better in the 1st half than the second half.

I am not one to panic, but if I could get a Rizzo or Abreu type... I would probably seriously consider it.