BlakeP42

Marcus Mariota 2018 Outlook

"Only Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, who’s in his eighth year, has done better work in the red zone since Mariota came into the league.

Mariota has a 116.3 passer rating, with 30 touchdown passes, no interceptions, a completion percentage of 65.4 and has taken just two sacks.

Those trump his numbers on the rest of the field: an 81.2 rating, 10 TDs, 18 interceptions, a 62.7 percentage and 50 sacks." -espn

i remembered this from 16', been trying to find the 2017 comps for his red zone numbers vs the rest of the field.  Anyone point me to a good resource for this?  So far i can't find it and i don't have hardly any FF subscription to content.  Jumped on PFF but struggling to pick it apart. Any help would be appreciated

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Simply put he is awesome in the RZ and with competent coaches he can be better between the 20's too.

His playaction numbers are off the charts.

It'll be good to see the entire offense when their plays aren't so predictable (assuming they shore up the guard positions).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

"Only Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, who’s in his eighth year, has done better work in the red zone since Mariota came into the league.

Mariota has a 116.3 passer rating, with 30 touchdown passes, no interceptions, a completion percentage of 65.4 and has taken just two sacks.

Those trump his numbers on the rest of the field: an 81.2 rating, 10 TDs, 18 interceptions, a 62.7 percentage and 50 sacks." -espn

i remembered this from 16', been trying to find the 2017 comps for his red zone numbers vs the rest of the field.  Anyone point me to a good resource for this?  So far i can't find it and i don't have hardly any FF subscription to content.  Jumped on PFF but struggling to pick it apart. Any help would be appreciated

https://fantasyfootballers.org/quarterback-qb-red-zone-stats/

Mariota is ranked 24th on this list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Positive TD regression coming for MM?

Mariotta is my zero QB pick off the wire as i figure out the stream or keep situation first few weeks of the season

• Like 3

Definitely gonna get better for MM. He was hamstrung and playing through it for like what felt like half the season. 

Him not being mobile was really telling in watching how bad he was performing. 

If he's healthy I definitely expect an increase. 

• Like 3

Very interested to see what the new OC does with this offense.  Got a star on my draft board next to Lewis, Mariota, and Matthews.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2018/05/25/titans-marcus-mariota-working-accuracy-focusing-his-feet/643099002/

*Mariota worked on widening his stance while throwing this offseason. 

The Titans’ franchise quarterback has been working to widen his stance when throwing, altering his passing mechanics with the idea that greater balance leads to greater accuracy.

Mariota said he began working on his footwork in February in California, and has continued to focus on developing a wider base with the blessing of the Titans’ new coaching staff.

The alteration has been endorsed by offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur and quarterbacks coach Pat O’Hara.

Mariota said the wider base applies more to pocket passing than when he’s on the run.

But the improved mechanics might, at times, repress his urge to scramble. Not only does remaining in a wider stance improve his accuracy, but also the speed at which he’s able to release the ball.

“I think the ball comes out a little faster,” Mariota said. “I think if I’m in a narrow base, it takes me an extra second to get to that (wider) base to be able to throw the football. If I’m in a good solid base (to begin with), I can throw at any point in time and make the throws on time.”

Also O'Hara is "coaching self preservation" with Mariota in hopes of improving durability: https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2018/06/18/titans-marcus-mariota-injuries-working-stay-healthy-entire-regular-season-schedule/709029002/

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

This guy was playing in an offense that suits Kerry Collins.

He played with a terrible coach. I see big numbers from him this year.

• Like 1

I like Mariota as a post-hype type bounce back player this year.  New offense and the coach won't be trying to force a hobbled, old Demarco Murray on the field.  I think the combo of Henry+Lewis will help the offense, plus Delanie, Matthews, Davis should be enough for Mariota. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, dashoe said:

Mariotta is my zero QB pick off the wire as i figure out the stream or keep situation first few weeks of the season

Same here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

I see big numbers from him this year.

Can't get worse than 2017 :: 281 for 453 / 3232 yards / 13 TDs 15 INTs

2 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

I like Mariota as a post-hype type bounce back player this year.  New offense and the coach

I like the coaching changes, like the offloading of Decker and DMurray + the acquisition of Dion Lewis.

I like Mariota as a bounce-back, but I wouldn't risk my team or even want to reserve a bench spot for him. Need to see some August games. Even in two-QB leagues, right now I'd sooner go with Keenum as my second.

• Haha 1

Jared Goff ran play action an NFL high 29.1% of his plays last year.

Marcus Mariota had a 122.8 QBR while running play action last year.  The highest in the NFL.

Matt LaFleur, the Rams offensive coordinator in 2017 is now the Titans offensive coordinator.  Coincidence?  Probably not.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, dashoe said:

If he's on your WW, you need to find stronger leagues to play in.

• Like 2

If you believe he's in for a bounce back.  Rishard is criminally undervalued.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyesee said:

If you believe he's in for a bounce back.  Rishard is criminally undervalued.  

He always is

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Geez what is it with you guys that like to appear like you play in these superior fantasy leagues. Listen here Einstein Mariotta is QB18 according to his current ADP. .  .Soooo , . .  assuming that holds into week1,  if you are in a 'smart' league that understands position scarcity value and starts 1 QB without a long bench then he may be on your waiver if guys don't feel the need to use the bench space for a 2nd QB because they would prefer to roster a rb/wr  given that you have to start at least 2 of each every week.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

He's the 18th QB off the board. I'd argue if you have 6 people taking backup QBs, you sir, are the one that needs to find stronger leagues to play in.

Edited by dmb3684
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

He's the 18th QB off the board. I'd argue if you have 6 people taking backup QBs, you sir, are the one that needs to find stronger leagues to play in.

Youre welcome to join any of the RTF or FFPC league drafting, then. No one is leaving Mariota undrafted in those (or any sharp) 12 team league.

29 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Youre welcome to join any of the RTF or FFPC league drafting, then. No one is leaving Mariota undrafted in those (or any sharp) 12 team league.

LOL. Nah, I'm good bud. 

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Geez what is it with you guys that like to appear like you play in these superior fantasy leagues. Listen here Einstein Mariotta is QB18 according to his current ADP. .  .Soooo , . .  assuming that holds into week1,  if you are in a 'smart' league that understands position scarcity value and starts 1 QB without a long bench then he may be on your waiver if guys don't feel the need to use the bench space for a 2nd QB because they would prefer to roster a rb/wr  given that you have to start at least 2 of each every week.:rolleyes:

Who cares what his ADP is, it's also in the 11th round.  If he goes undrafted then somebody doesn't know what they're doing.  By the way, "smart leagues" do have long benches. 

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

If he's 18th off the board, you need a stronger league.