robbybobby005

Alex Reyes 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

It will be interesting watching him return from TJ. I’m hoping he picks up right where he left off but that is a tall order. They guy was so dominant right out of the minors, so there may be some unrealistic high expectations. Like a lot of people I’ll be watching him closely in spring training and beyond.

I think he is primed to end up as the closer as the season goes on. He'll look filthy as a reliever and the cards will feel obligated to close him especially if they don't sign Holland. In terms of build and the velocity he has, I could see him similar to Chapman in that role. 

• Thanks 1

My guess is that they'll likely extended spring him, then let him start from  perhaps June to the end. 100-120IP probably about as much as we'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldsoul said:

They ever gonna DL this guy

Teams generally don't DL guys until they have to when the season starts.

On 3/24/2018 at 7:12 AM, oldsoul said:

They ever gonna DL this guy

he isn't injured.  so never

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, rich22 said:

he isn't injured.  so never

He was placed on the DL today.

2 minutes ago, Helms said:

He was placed on the DL today.

lol.  told ya   :wub:

might be a good DL stash if you've got the extra room. 

Possible important error in Rotoworld blurb: It indicates that moving him to the 60-day DL to make room for Holland doesn't change anything and he's still expected in the majors on May 1. Cardinals beat reporter Derrick Goold (St. Louis Post Dispatch), disagrees and says he's now not eligible to return until May 28:

"Placing Reyes (elbow) on the 60-day DL creates a spot for Holland. It also means that all 60 of those minimum days must be spent during this season. That pushes his rehab assignment back as much as 25 days. So instead of pitching in minor-league games by mid-April, Reyes will have to wait to start his rehab assignment later in the month because there is a limit to how long he can be in the minors before being activated."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/to-make-room-for-holland-cardinals-delay-alex-reyes-return/article_0f60646c-ad39-51b3-b8b3-f8081d98fb1d.html

Joe Trezza of MLB.com reports the same thing.

• Like 2

^ Very good information. Thanks! 

So best case scenerio is this

Reyes is back in the bigs early June, Cards monitor his innings a bit and he is a MR with 1-3 IP each appearance and then by maybe July they contemplate him starting.

So half a season might look like this? mid 3 ERA at best, 80 K's and a so-so whip.

Not sure I want to roster this in my leagues with less than 6 bench spots. I mean the way players are dropping like flies, I need them spots!

Relative to him possibly pitching in April, I'd rather him on the 60 day DL to stash than spending so many weeks as a MR while they try to limit his innings.  Owners should've looked at 2018 as a low risk high reward situation on this guy.

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

So best case scenerio is this

Reyes is back in the bigs early June, Cards monitor his innings a bit and he is a MR with 1-3 IP each appearance and then by maybe July they contemplate him starting.

So half a season might look like this? mid 3 ERA at best, 80 K's and a so-so whip.

Not sure I want to roster this in my leagues with less than 6 bench spots. I mean the way players are dropping like flies, I need them spots!

If your league doesn't have DL slots you need to petition to your commish or never join that league again. 

Cardinals' general manager John Mozeliak said Friday that Alex Reyes will begin a minor league rehab assignment in mid-May.

Mozeliak also noted that when Reyes does eventually return to the Cardinals, "all arrows point to it being as a starter". The Cardinals have enough confusion in their bullpen at the moment, and Reyes' future remains as a fixture atop the Cardinals' rotation, so this seems to make the most sense for all parties. Apr 20 - 6:33 PM
  • Thanks 1

I think its time to start giving the idea of stashing this kid in redrafts some serious thought. Im surprised there hasnt been more chatter. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-prospect-alex-reyes-itchy-to-start-rehab-assignment/article_4707b629-699a-560f-84b8-7edc8269fcc5.html

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I think its time to start giving the idea of stashing this kid in redrafts some serious thought. Im surprised there hasnt been more chatter. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-prospect-alex-reyes-itchy-to-start-rehab-assignment/article_4707b629-699a-560f-84b8-7edc8269fcc5.html

Been holding since draft day

• Like 1

He has been in one of my two DL slots all year but recently Miggy and Sano have been furiously rapping on the door.

I don't know what the best course of action is with this guy. Await the apex of hype, then sell? Try to get numbers from a fresh Tommy John returnee? 

Whose spot would he take in the rotation? Obviously Wainwright could be hurt at any moment. I just don't see a spot when he is ready and he ends up in the bullpen, which for me really depresses his value.

4 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

Whose spot would he take in the rotation? Obviously Wainwright could be hurt at any moment. I just don't see a spot when he is ready and he ends up in the bullpen, which for me really depresses his value.

I had heard he would return in a long relief role. The closer situation is a lot more open than it was the last time I appraised his fantasy value as a reliever. 

FB clocked at 95-98 in his first game back.  Let's get this kid firing again! 

Between Mikolas' unsustainable .5 BB/9 and Weaver hitting some bumps in the road, I see this situation as at least fairly open for Reyes to get into the starting rotation.  If not, Bud Norris should blow up at some point.

I think he's an easy DL slot hold at this point, especially in leagues with extra DL or even NA slots. 

• Like 1

Considering that a lot of quality is probably picked off of the waivers by now in a lot of leagues he could be a good pickup with upside. 

His innings will be significantly monitored.  I'm not sure he throws more than 100.  I think they should Joba Rules him as a multi inning reliever so they have him all season.